Foods that you make better than restaurants do

Otto!

Steel Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I love eating out and ordering in, but there are some things that I much prefer to make myself as it’s hit and miss in some restaurants.

One example for me is baby back ribs. Ever since I got into charcoal and wood grilling and smoking, I much prefer to make my own baby back ribs. I make my own dry rub, and cook them low and slow, smoking them with some cherry wood. The end result is moist and tender ribs that rivals BBQ joints, and is better than the ribs in most restaurants.

Another thing that I prefer to make at home is pizza. I make the dough and sauce from scratch, and I cook it in a large cast iron pan when I make it indoors, and in my weber pizza extension when I do it outside. I make homemade pizza every single weekend.

What about you sherbros? How do you release your inner chef?

I love eating out and ordering in, but there are some things that I much prefer to make myself as it’s hit and miss in some restaurants.

One example for me is baby back ribs. Ever since I got into charcoal and wood grilling and smoking, I much prefer to make my own baby back ribs. I make my own dry rub, and cook them low and slow, smoking them with some cherry wood. The end result is moist and tender ribs that rivals BBQ joints, and is better than the ribs in most restaurants.

Another thing that I prefer to make at home is pizza. I make the dough and sauce from scratch, and I cook it in a large cast iron pan when I make it indoors, and in my weber pizza extension when I do it outside. I make homemade pizza every single weekend.

ever try fitz's bbq on greenbank?

That post made me sooo hungry.

Most of them. The question is "do I feel like doing it?" And
"Do I have the time?"

Helps to have a well stocked kitchen and access to good ingredients though. I live within a few miles of about 10 supermarkets and a restaurant supply spot , plus theres a couple farmers markets. I dig shopping around for the best ingredients or challenging myself by creating something with what ever looks the best and on sale at least once a week or something I dont normally cook.

bit of a drive when you've already got it down to a science yourself
I just spent a year and a half in Florida, and I had that smoker going year round. Pulled pork is coming along, but I am struggling with beef brisket. I may get a pellet electric smoker to make it easier for temp control for the long cooks.

Same. I have my go to places that I still enjoy, but it seems like for ever good restaurant there are 20 crappy chain franchises all with similar menus.

Usually when I'm going out I try and go somewhere with cuisine I can't really recreate at home like Sushi or good Indian or something.

I find Mexican food in the UK is piss poor, so we are never satisfied with tacos, burritos etc when we eat out.
Mine are waaaaaaaaaaaaay better, so is my guacomale

And even though I like to think I am the curry God, UK does have the best Indian food in the world, so it's a close tie there. Though because of cost I always choose to cook.

Back