Foods that you make better than restaurants do

you are the worst kind of person.
Literally Hitlar

Mango, Beet & Avo!

IMG_2412.jpg

Trick really is finding the cuts.

I'd addmost pastas too, carbanara, a la vodka, meatballs and sauce.

I forgot to add carbonara. Ive ordered it at some places, including italian joints and received alfredo sauce. Dafuq.

Ts is my spirit bro. Use a kettle grill for smoking my meat and pizza in a cast iron pan with homemade dough is a fan favourite around here

Honestly, the recent lock-down has taught me cooking isn't that hard, when it comes to cooking your standard everyday meals.

Nice. Many restaurants overcook salmon, which is a shame.
what do you do to it?
Buying fresh, good quality fish and not overcooking it is the main thing. I like to try different stuff, but I have a couple I keep going back to:
- Salt, pepper and fresh herbs from my herb garden, basted with butter and finished with a squeeze of lemon. Sometimes I throw a little paprika in there. I like it on salmon, but not everybody does.
- Miso glazed salmon is awesome. I tend to change it up, but usually prefer white miso. You can find a lot of recipe variations online to try, but a lot of them call for sugar or brown sugar, which I omit as I don't like it sweet. Often the sugar is to offset the soy, so go light on that as well or it dominates. It's about the fish and the miso, not the soy and the sugar.

A1 is banned in my house. Shit is nasty. Might as well use ketchup on steak.

Steak, isn’t even close

Most steak.
Lasagna and alfredo.

After years of trial and error with steak, I found a recipe and realized it's super easy to do medium rare ribeye better than restaurants (barring good steakhouses):

-Start with 1.5" thick USDA choice steak, thawed for an hour to room temperature
-Wipe off all the juices so it's dry
-Press kosher rock salt liberally into both sides and black pepper to taste
-Heat up a thick frying pan on max heat for 2-3 min
-Throw steak on (don't move it, let it sear) for 5 min
-Flip and repeat on other side for 3 min

= perfect medium rare ribeye seared on outside, pink and tender inside. You don't get the smoke flavor you can on a wood grill, but the searing is worth it and bonus points if you use a cast iron pan. More bonus points if you're motivated enough to sear on a pan, then finish on a wood grill.

Doing this produces literally the best steak I've had anywhere other than good steakhouses (and I suspect that's because they use USDA Prime steak). Basically impossible to outdo a medium rare ribeye or porterhouse at Peter Luger.

After years of trial and error with steak, I found a recipe and realized it's super easy to do medium rare ribeye better than restaurants (barring good steakhouses):

-Start with 1.5" thick USDA choice steak, thawed for an hour to room temperature
-Wipe off all the juices so it's dry
-Press kosher rock salt liberally into both sides and black pepper to taste
-Heat up a thick frying pan on max heat for 2-3 min
-Throw steak on (don't move it, let it sear) for 5 min
-Flip and repeat on other side for 3 min

= perfect medium rare ribeye seared on outside, pink and tender inside. You don't get the smoke flavor you can on a wood grill, but the searing is worth it and bonus points if you use a cast iron pan. More bonus points if you're motivated enough to sear on a pan, then finish on a wood grill.

Doing this produces literally the best steak I've had anywhere other than good steakhouses (and I suspect that's because they use USDA Prime steak). Basically impossible to outdo a medium rare ribeye or porterhouse at Peter Luger.

For me its either my grill or cast iron.

I have a lot of recipes i use on a regular basis based on the type of cut. I dont treat them the same usually.

Im also not afraid of eye of round steaks etc, and can make that shit tender also. For people looking to eat affordable steaks as an athlete or college student this is a great go to.

Back