Foods that you make better than restaurants do

I use montreal steak spices on mine. I only mentioned A1 as an alternative to the comment on ketchup.
Different strokes for different folks but sauces were invented to cover up old meat. If you're buying prime and cooking it right you want to enjoy the natural juiciness.

Shredded chicken tacos/wraps. Sounds simple and it is but the key is pressure cooking the chicken breasts, and using the right seasonings.

For me its either my grill or cast iron.

I have a lot of recipes i use on a regular basis based on the type of cut. I dont treat them the same usually.

Im also not afraid of eye of round steaks etc, and can make that shit tender also. For people looking to eat affordable steaks as an athlete or college student this is a great go to.

I've found chuck eye steak (half to 2/3's ribeye price) can be almost or just as good. Apparently it comes from the ribs right next to the true ribeye cut.

Re. cheaper cuts, I've yet to find a better way to cook beef ribs than slow cooker. Put short ribs and/or back ribs on the bone in slow cooker with water and salt. Cook on high for 6 hours and that's it. You get fall off the bone tender ribs and beef soup to boot. It's BETTER than good pot roast and I know that's a bold claim.

Last edited:
I've found chuck eye steak (half to 2/3's price of ribeye) can be almost or just as good. Apparently it comes from the ribs right next to the true ribeye cut.

Re. cheaper cuts, I've yet to find a better way to cook beef ribs than slow cooker. Put short ribs and/or back ribs on the bone in slow cooker with water and salt. Cook on high for 6 hours and that's it. You get fall off the bone tender ribs and beef soup to boot. It's BETTER than good pot roast and I know that's a bold claim.

Thats what my wife does too, but she will often marinade them i something. Im not huge on ribs myself though.

We did pork ribs slow cooked over 8 hours marinated in this orange juice concoction she made. I wouldnt think oj would be fun but it was solid actually.

Thats what my wife does too, but she will often marinade them i something. Im not huge on ribs myself though.

We did pork ribs slow cooked over 8 hours marinated in this orange juice concoction she made. I wouldnt think oj would be fun but it was solid actually.

That sounds really good. Have yet to try slow cooker pork ribs but I need to. I suspect would be similar to slow cooker beef ribs: better than most restaurant versions.

That sounds really good. Have yet to try slow cooker pork ribs but I need to. I suspect would be similar to slow cooker beef ribs: better than most restaurant versions.

Generally yes. I'll also make duck confit in a slow cooker if im lazy. Otherwise i do it the traditional way.
Duck fat goes good on everything i find, i did a coffee rub steak with brown sugar once to extra caramelization. Faaaack so good. Need a tooth pick after though.

Generally yes. I'll also make duck confit in a slow cooker if im lazy. Otherwise i do it the traditional way.
Duck fat goes good on everything i find, i did a coffee rub steak with brown sugar once to extra caramelization. Faaaack so good. Need a tooth pick after though.

Yeah duck fat is delicious and pretty much anything duck is great. But sounds like you're playing in a different league than I am. My wife doesn't really eat meat so re. meat dishes, I've regressed back to simple bachelor era stuff. When I make it it's only me and the kids eating it so I rarely go overboard.

Yeah duck fat is delicious and pretty much anything duck is great. But sounds like you're playing in a different league than I am. My wife doesn't really eat meat so re. meat dishes, I've regressed back to simple bachelor era stuff. When I make it it's only me and the kids eating it so I rarely go overboard.

I just like cooking and get bored making the same things, i like to have several ideas for each thing to switch it up. In this process i ended up branching out. My wife used to hate steak and chicken becauae her mother, rip wasnt a particularly good cook (though apparently a great baker). Cooking has always helped me impress women, because my sherdog account dont count :(

I once ordered a pizza in Manchester, and it turned up with a footprint on it.

True story.
haha.. The Takeaway scene here is outrageously bad from my 11 year experience here... Though some of the "Street Food" is very good.

Taco-Bell.jpg

TB1.jpg
TB2.jpg

haha.. The Takeaway scene here is outrageously bad from my 11 year experience here... Though some of the "Street Food" is very good.

Taco-Bell.jpg

TB1.jpg
TB2.jpg
Its funny trying to sell Tacos in Manchester... Barely anyone in England even knew what they were until 10 years ago, and Manchester is notoriously behind the times... I can imagine people being very confused by the menu - I inow i would be.

Its funny trying to sell Tacos in Manchester... Barely anyone in England even knew what they were until 10 years ago, and Manchester is notoriously behind the times... I can imagine people being very confused by the menu - I inow i would be.

Taco Bell opened here in 2012, it seems the rest of the Country is behind the times to me :p... It does pretty well I think because it's like one of the only Vegetarian options in The Food Court and the free Hot Sauce sachets are pretty good I hear..
It's sandwiched in between like a KFC on one side and a Jacket Potato place on the other iirc, there's also a Harry Ramsden's, McDonalds, Subway and some shit Chinese chain... KFC is always outrageously more popular than all the rest.

There are quite a lot of better Mexican places here, but they are all still pretty shit(but infinitely better than Taco Bell).. People swear by their favourites and stick to them... I've always been told all the Mexican food in the country is pretty shit compared to Mexico and ... Canada? lol... I do think it's become a cool thing to say to an extent though.

Most of the time restaurants for me are about convenience, time and location. I can probably make better food than most of the restaurants I eat at.

None. That is to say nothing I have ever made beats the best version I have had in a restaurant.

Im also not afraid of eye of round steaks etc, and can make that shit tender also. For people looking to eat affordable steaks as an athlete or college student this is a great go to.
Same thing for roasts. There are cheaper cuts that can turn out great if you cook em properly.

None. That is to say nothing I have ever made beats the best version I have had in a restaurant.
It’s not about beating the best version that you find in restaurants, but rather being able to make something that beats most. Some restaurants do truly mediocre stuff, especially the chains.

Back