Foods that you make better than restaurants do

Salmon. The wife and i have like 3 dishes that we love but i dont know if they are better than restaurant stuff....a veggie chili, cauilflower tacos and this potatoe thingy with a dill sauce and salsa fresco thingy on top.

Chili con carne.
That prolly bout it.
I’m a decent cook at the stuff I’ve done over and over though. Pretty basic though.

Got some pretty decent cooks here though.
Hugh Phug, Chill Doggie, & Mabrey seem like they got some serious skills grill & cooking wise.

Burgers... Restaurant burgers usually suck. Low quality meat that you can't even taste anyway under the 4 inch thick buns, entire head of lettuce and 20 slices of tomatoes accompanying it.

Not a restaurant but I make my own jerky. Better than 99% of jerky out there and just as cheap as the cheap stuff. I get it out of the dehydrator for about $11/lb.

I only use top round. Real beef no filler like most of the jerky they sell. There are a few good brands out there but you are paying close to $30/lb for it

My pancakes (my great-grandmother’s recipe) absolutely curb stomp any restaurant pancakes (IHOP, Denny’s, you name it) into Bolivian.

I love eating out and ordering in, but there are some things that I much prefer to make myself as it’s hit and miss in some restaurants.

One example for me is baby back ribs. Ever since I got into charcoal and wood grilling and smoking, I much prefer to make my own baby back ribs. I make my own dry rub, and cook them low and slow, smoking them with some cherry wood. The end result is moist and tender ribs that rivals BBQ joints, and is better than the ribs in most restaurants.

Another thing that I prefer to make at home is pizza. I make the dough and sauce from scratch, and I cook it in a large cast iron pan when I make it indoors, and in my weber pizza extension when I do it outside. I make homemade pizza every single weekend.

What about you sherbros? How do you release your inner chef?
Probably pancakes. I prefer crispy pancakes. Butter in the pan. Prefer unsalted butter as well. If you order pancakes eating out, usually just fluffy pancakes, no crisp at all, butter is only added afterward and it's salted butter. Also, you're typically given shitty syrup. Not maple syrup like I usually use.

Most of them but really depends on the quality of the restaurant. Some dishes are unreasonable to do at home anyways. Cooking is easy when you know what you're doing.

Wife's apricot french tart is as good as any from a Parisian patisserie.

I make bad ass crepe Suzette.

No doubt !!! Curry is easy to make. U just need the right ingredients. If you are ever interested msg me I have it all down to a science :)

Coming at you. I have an asian market that sells west indies products.

When i lived in Ann Arbor there was one Jamaican place that was about an 8/10. Not Toronto level quality but pretty good nonetheless.

Burgers for sure and steak for the most part. This one place a couple towns over makes a delicious filet that I wish I could replicate.

I use a modified beef jerky marinade for ribeyes actually.

Worcheschire, strong beer, Montreal, salt, and pepper. Cook it for eight minutes on a super hot cast iron, flipping twice, for a perfect medium rare. Add salted butter halfway through.

Ribeye steaks
Chicken Alfredo
Chicken Parmesan
Mashed potatoes
Burgers

I'm beginning to realize that the reason going out to eat is so expensive is because your paying to not have to clean up after you eat...

Steak, and it’s not even close.

I remember being treated to some hundred dollar steak in one of the big name spots and being so incredibly disappointed.

Burgers for sure and steak for the most part. This one place a couple towns over makes a delicious filet that I wish I could replicate.

I use a modified beef jerky marinade for ribeyes actually.

Worcheschire, strong beer, Montreal, salt, and pepper. Cook it for eight minutes on a super hot cast iron, flipping twice, for a perfect medium rare. Add salted butter halfway through.
Sent you the recipe and a how to video

Back