For those who don't do supplements, what do you eat after you lift?

RandyCouture>U

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just curious. I'm tired of protein shakes and am thinking of just eating a larger meal after I train. Usually I workout upon waking and eat a bowl of oats with peanut butter and banana and a shake.

I was thinking about doing eggs but I remember reading thst fat can slow down protein absorbing. Granted it sounds like bro science and it was years ago.

So what do y'all eat after you lift?

That oatmeal and peanut butter contains enough fiber and fat to slow down absorption to a snail's pace compared to the banana and egg. Not to mention the oats and peanut butter are an inferior source of protein. Eat your eggs, eat your banana.

Personally I train in the afternoon so I've got a big lunch that's being digested for a few hours to fuel my activity. Afterwards I cool down for a bout an hour, then I eat a meal that consists of 30-60g of protein of my choice(fish, beef, eggs, chicken, seafood), white rice, a cup of whatever veggies I feel like, and a small piece of fruit of my choice. The rest of the day I fill in with whatever macros I need to keep my calories high/low enough depending on my goals. If you've eaten prior to training you can be a little lax with your postworkout nutrition since every meal you eat takes quite a while to fully digest. If you're training fasted you don't have as much leeway most likely and you'll want to prioritize food after you finish training to kick start that recovery. Just eat some regular whole food meals. Supplements are a waste of money if you've got your nutrition on point.

I drink a litre (34 freedom fl oz) of homemade kefir.

*there's no such thing as a superfood; aside from raw milk kefir...

Chocolate milk
You buying store kind or mixing nesquik?

That oatmeal and peanut butter contains enough fiber and fat to slow down absorption to a snail's pace compared to the banana and egg. Not to mention the oats and peanut butter are an inferior source of protein. Eat your eggs, eat your banana.

Personally I train in the afternoon so I've got a big lunch that's being digested for a few hours to fuel my activity. Afterwards I cool down for a bout an hour, then I eat a meal that consists of 30-60g of protein of my choice(fish, beef, eggs, chicken, seafood), white rice, a cup of whatever veggies I feel like, and a small piece of fruit of my choice. The rest of the day I fill in with whatever macros I need to keep my calories high/low enough depending on my goals. If you've eaten prior to training you can be a little lax with your postworkout nutrition since every meal you eat takes quite a while to fully digest. If you're training fasted you don't have as much leeway most likely and you'll want to prioritize food after you finish training to kick start that recovery. Just eat some regular whole food meals. Supplements are a waste of money if you've got your nutrition on point.
Thanks. I was doing intermittent fasting 5 days a week but due to some digestion and stomach issuesmy Dr and I have decided I might be better trying to spread my food out. Also cutting back on powder and saving it for times I'm in a pinch.

I generally train fasted. Wake up and train a half hour after waking up. Considering eating maybe a small piece of fruit as soon as I wake up to get me going aswell
Thanks for all the advice guys

Fat free milk (key part) and Nestle syrup mixed up though store bought pre-mixed would be basically the same thing. Solid, inexpensive post workout recovery drink.

You buying store kind or mixing nesquik?

Thanks. I was doing intermittent fasting 5 days a week but due to some digestion and stomach issuesmy Dr and I have decided I might be better trying to spread my food out. Also cutting back on powder and saving it for times I'm in a pinch.

I generally train fasted. Wake up and train a half hour after waking up. Considering eating maybe a small piece of fruit as soon as I wake up to get me going aswell
Thanks for all the advice guys

Are you sure downing some processed crap like Nesquik is a good idea if you've got GI distress?

Just curious. I'm tired of protein shakes and am thinking of just eating a larger meal after I train. Usually I workout upon waking and eat a bowl of oats with peanut butter and banana and a shake.

I was thinking about doing eggs but I remember reading thst fat can slow down protein absorbing. Granted it sounds like bro science and it was years ago.

So what do y'all eat after you lift?
Fat does slow down absorption but it’s very difficult to get super low fat without supplements (which isn’t the end of the world but not ideal).

The general rule for post workout is fast carbs and protein.
Rough ratios depending on your goal;
4carbs to 1protein for bulking.
2-1 for general recovery.
1-1 if you’re cutting or low carb.

Some options if you really don’t want to use supps would be;
Chicken breast in a sweet sauce.
Greek yoghurt/Skyr with honey.
Choc milk.
Eggs on toast.
Smoked salmon/mackerel on toast.

I have a homemade smoothie (1 beetroot, 2 carrots, 50g kale, 50g blueberries, 50g strawbs and 30g protein powder with water) which gets a lot of goodness in and breaks up the usual fake whey tastes (altho not saying it tastes great tbh). Don’t neglect your vitamins and minerals and don’t just eat cheap shit.

I also do IF so getting in a fast absorbing meal is extra important after fasted training.

Red meat gets a bad rap..... especially now with this great tasting grass fed beef ( reccomend copelli's grass fed beef).
It's the combination of protein and iron ( amongst other) that makes red meat special .
* dont cook the shit out of it .... and if you're a fan of chick peas then ...nice.

I'm too skinny of a guy to not drink daily protein shakes I've come to realize. Another thing a couple years back when I was injured I stopped drinking protein shakes since i wasn't really working out. This went on for a couple years till I started feeling better and started working out again but i was still not drinking protein shakes, trying to get all my nutrition from food instead. I didn't start drinking protein shakes again till lots of people including my then gf told me I was losing too much weight. And for me I didn't realize how much of a positive effect protein shakes were having on me till I started drinking them daily again. I put on some muscle, looked better and even my libido and pretty sure my overall t levels seemed to go way up. So i won't be going the no protein shake route again

i eat a whole pound of ground turkey in a pan and add about half a cup of instant rice and half cup water

then some green beans

i feel people over analyze their training unless you are a professional body builder or training hard for a big event just eat good quality food learn basic nutrition and go from there.

i crave protein after i life and i crave carbs after skill training/sparring ect. its weird i take it as my body telling me what it needs

Home cooked whole foods should be the diet anyway, sups at a minimum as a bonus. Eat a flat iron steak ( low price) and rice or broccoli.

Home cooked whole foods should be the diet anyway, sups at a minimum as a bonus. Eat a flat iron steak ( low price) and rice or broccoli.

mhm just learn how t cook i hatedd weight cutting dieting so i learnt how to cook good food to make dieting much better

just make sure to eat good protein good fats your carbs if you want them and fruits/berries with tons vitamins and green veggies spinach/green beans/brocolli/kale i love black berries raspberries full of fiber so you shit good low sugar cals and tons of vitamins

i try to get 2 cups berries a day for my fruit 2 servings of greens a day a pound of meat a day and my carbs in form of kidney beans rice quinoa sweet potato

god im high

Just avoid fiber post workout, eat a nice protein rich food.

I used to drink a nice cold chocolate milk.

Fiber like Oats will slow down absorption the best time to eat Oats is for breakfast with eggs.

I used to always drink a protein shake right after workout when I used to lift weights and it helped me recover quicker and build muscle. I hated eating whole meals, I love to eat but Supplemental shakes are a must to avoid getting digestive issues or bloating from having to eat a lot to put on size.

I used to eat just 3 whole meals a day with two shakes and I was able to put on muscle and maintain it, without getting bloated thanks to the shakes.

After workout I used to drink those Isopure ones in the glass bottle. then when Id get home almost an hour later id eat a nice meal.
Natures_best_Zero_Carb_Isopure_drink.jpg

Just avoid fiber post workout, eat a nice protein rich food.

I used to drink a nice cold chocolate milk.

Fiber like Oats will slow down absorption the best time to eat Oats is for breakfast with eggs.

I used to always drink a protein shake right after workout when I used to lift weights and it helped me recover quicker and build muscle. I hated eating whole meals, I love to eat but Supplemental shakes are a must to avoid getting digestive issues or bloating from having to eat a lot to put on size.

I used to eat just 3 whole meals a day with two shakes and I was able to put on muscle and maintain it, without getting bloated thanks to the shakes.

After workout I used to drink those Isopure ones in the glass bottle. then when Id get home almost an hour later id eat a nice meal.
Natures_best_Zero_Carb_Isopure_drink.jpg
Those are good

A burger patty and a couple over easy eggs. Along with some orange juice with dextrose powder mixed in and 100 mg caffeine tablet.

Red meat gets a bad rap..... especially now with this great tasting grass fed beef ( reccomend copelli's grass fed beef).
It's the combination of protein and iron ( amongst other) that makes red meat special .
* dont cook the shit out of it .... and if you're a fan of chick peas then ...nice.
Indeed.

I just stick to the lean cuts.. filet mignons, NY Strip and 93/7 ground

Back