Free fight: Shields VS Akiyama

esalmighty

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I just watched this fight for first time on YouTube. Did a lot of people have this for Akiyama? I went in a little biased not remembering who won and wanting Akiyama to win but he didn't do anything that entire fight. Losing the stand-up to Shields is just sad.

I have Rounds 1 & 3 to Shields and round 2 to Akiyama (barely)
You just can't let someone hit you all three rounds and except to win.

Not sure what judges score more on but I think a few factors here are:

Jabs VS powershots
Takedown attempts VS takedown defense ( like Shieds shot multiple times and Akiyama stopped them all except one I think)

Should defending takedowns equal (in points) same as getting one? I mean it might...I don't really know

And should failing at a takedown be a deduction in the scoring?

So I just watched this fight for first time on YouTube. Did a lot of people have this for Akiyama? I went in a little biased not remembering who won and wanting Akiyama to win but he didn't do anything that entire fight. Losing the stand-up to Shields is just sad.

I have Rounds 1 & 3 to Shields and round 2 to Akiyama (barely)
You just can't let someone hit you all three rounds and except to win.

Not sure what judges score more on but I think a few factors here are:

Jabs VS powershots
Takedown attempts VS takedown defense ( like Shieds shot multiple times and Akiyama stopped them all except one I think)

Should defending takedowns equal (in points) same as getting one? I mean it might...I don't really know

And should failing at a takedown be a deduction in the scoring?

If nothing else happens in the round the agressor should get the round.

If the guy stopping takedowns is winning the striking battle then it can be viewed as him dictating the fight (the where and when to fight).

If striking is equal I think the guy that shoots would get agressor points.

It also depends of the type of takedowns and how unsuccesful they are.

If it was like Machida that could make guys that shoot miss without even touching him sometimes judges could favor the TDD guy.

If is the type of takedowns attemps when one guy pushes another agains the cage and they struggle for 1 minute I think the agressor will be favored by judges as controlling the fight.

If nothing else happens in the round the agressor should get the round.

If the guy stopping takedowns is winning the striking battle then it can be viewed as him dictating the fight (the where and when to fight).

If striking is equal I think the guy that shoots would get agressor points.

That is clearly where Akiyama failed at. Yes he was stopping takedowns but Shields was still just landing jab after jab. Akiyama only really shined with some nice throws and some nice shots but Shields was consistent with jab, jab, jab, pressure, pressure, jab, jab...regardless of how Akiyama was just walking through them.

Shields won it handily i cant believe the ufc made that fight available they should of burnt all the tape on it,it was that bad of a fight

I thought Akiyama was more effective, I remember him tossing Jake around pretty much every round. I haven't seen the fight since I saw it live though so I might be forgetting some aspects of the fight.

Akiyama's TDD and trips were pretty good, but apart from that, he let Jake pick away at him the whole fight without doing anything back.

The only things I remember from this fight is this

2.gif

7.gif

4.gif

6.gif

Shields may have won, but the only interesting aspects of this fight came from Akiyama.

The only things I remember from this fight is this

2.gif

7.gif

4.gif

6.gif

Shields may have won, but the only interesting aspects of this fight came from Akiyama.

I fully agree but those gifs are honestly the only things Akiyama did as well, plus two of those are the same move, just different angles. If he would of been more explosive on the feet he could of won this fight.

I was so sure Akiyama won: I remember at the time I FAINTED when they announced Shields...Going to watch it again now.

I fully agree but those gifs are honestly the only things Akiyama did as well, plus two of those are the same move, just different angles. If he would of been more explosive on the feet he could of won this fight.

Yeah, you're right and I'm not saying Shields didn't win. It's just that when I think about this fight, I only remember these actions and nothing from Shields.

K1 Shields has torn through a few opponents, including GSP's eye. He's a beast.

May as well resurrect this one to say that Jake won the fight in a predominantly standup affair, he has absolutely no power in any of his strikes, Akiyama hit some nice throws, and Japanese crowds are so much more knowledgeable and respectful than anywhere else in the world. Sexyama did nothing but look good in this fight though, really. Did not push the pace and let Shields hit him with muffins all night long.

No one looks better in defeat though...

Back