Television Game of Thrones S08E06 Discussion Thread: Burn them all! (the writing staff) | Our Watch has ended

Even seasons 1-4, more than 50% was original content and it was awesome. The writing just went to shit for some other reason
This is not true. Most of the first 4 seasons were word for word, beat for beat with the books. The differences were the tweaks they had to make to the main story because they decided to cut out characters and their story lines.

Example: In the books, Varys is working behind the scenes to help Young Griff, aka Agon VI aka Griff Blackfyre (possibly). In the show, he is working behind the scenes first for Viserys, and later Daenerys.

Seasons 5 and 6 are probably closer to the 50% from the book. The other 50% is some goofy shit they wrote in to fit GRRM's outlines.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2020/03/17/strange-days/

For those of you who may be concerned for me personally… yes, I am aware that I am very much in the most vulnerable population, given my age and physical condition. But I feel fine at the moment, and we are taking all sensible precautions. I am off by myself in a remote isolated location, attended by one of my staff, and I’m not going in to town or seeing anyone. Truth be told, I am spending more time in Westeros than in the real world, writing every day.

<Ellaria01>
I don't know nothin' about the show aside from pop culture awareness.

I'm aware of Emilia Clarke.

And I know the final ep, "Red Wedding", was very poorly received.

What say you, after a while to digest it?

Was it really so bad?
<Ellaria01>

Yes. It was dumb as hell. The entire last season was painfully obvious that they were out of ideas.

*****spoiler******

For some reason the part that really bothered me was Dany talking in a normal voice to a huge group hundreds of yards away who could all somehow hear her perfectly.

<Ellaria01>

Was it really so bad?
<Ellaria01>

It was a world class bed shitting. It was like they got the football at their own goal line, ran 90 yards and were ten away from a touchdown, then just starting doing a celebratory chicken dance and sticking the ball up their butt, then bouncing on it like a pogo stick all the way back to their own goal line to get tackled.

It was a world class bed shitting. It was like they got the football at their own goal line, ran 90 yards and were ten away from a touchdown, then just starting doing a celebratory chicken dance and sticking the ball up their butt, then bouncing on it like a pogo stick all the way back to their own goal line and get tackled.
That was a fast move from Mayberry. I should've connected it to the coronavirus with a sentence, then it would've stayed.

<Ellaria01>

Was it really so bad?
<Ellaria01>

It has a dissapointing final season, especially after the wait, but it's not quite the dumpster fire a lot of people say it is. The quality dropped substantially, but even after a substantial drop it was still better than most shit on television.

It has a dissapointing final season, especially after the wait, but it's not quite the dumpster fire a lot of people say it is. The quality dropped substantially, but even after a substantial drop it was still better than most shit on television.
I got the impression that it was a reflection of how much people loved the series and how much anticipation was built up for the finale.

I guess not every series can get the ST TNG perfect final ep.

This is not true. Most of the first 4 seasons were word for word, beat for beat with the books. The differences were the tweaks they had to make to the main story because they decided to cut out characters and their story lines.

Example: In the books, Varys is working behind the scenes to help Young Griff, aka Agon VI aka Griff Blackfyre (possibly). In the show, he is working behind the scenes first for Viserys, and later Daenerys.

Seasons 5 and 6 are probably closer to the 50% from the book. The other 50% is some goofy shit they wrote in to fit GRRM's outlines.

I read the books, I honestly remember most of the dialogues in the show were not in the books.

I read the books, I honestly remember most of the dialogues in the show were not in the books.
Yeah, I shouldn't have said word for word. However, it's definitely beat for beat. They just took pivotal scenes from the books and left out a fuck ton of other stuff. The first four seasons' dialogue is mostly paraphrased, but there's still plenty of scenes in the show where the dialogue is verbatim from the books.

GRRM is not the most elegant dialogue writer, but every now and again the dialogue in the books (and show) is straight fire.

I got the impression that it was a reflection of how much people loved the series and how much anticipation was built up for the finale.

Most of the acting was still great, the cinematography was beautiful, the special effects were spectacular, but the plot and the writing literally took a nosedive off a cliff. on IMDB, seasons 1-7 averaged a rating about 9/10 with a high of I think 9.7 and a low of 8.4 (one episode). The finale of season 8 is at 4.1/10.

That puts the finale in the company of such epic films as "50 Shades of Grey", "The Last Airbender" and of course the John Travolta classic, "Speed Kills".

Most of the acting was still great, the cinematography was beautiful, the special effects were spectacular, but the plot and the writing literally took a nosedive off a cliff. on IMDB, seasons 1-7 averaged a rating about 9/10 with a high of I think 9.7 and a low of 8.4 (one episode). The finale of season 8 is at 4.1/10.

That puts the finale in the company of such epic films as "50 Shades of Grey", "The Last Airbender" and of course the John Travolta classic, "Speed Kills".

Let's be honest, that was just hype.

There were some crappy episodes way before S8, too.

Once the hysteria of S8 began to explode (largely after episode 3), the hatred snowballed.

Let's be honest, that was just hype.

There were some crappy episodes way before S8, too.

Once the hysteria of S8 began to explode (largely after episode 3), the hatred snowballed.
Hard to think of a more epic fail and fall from grace in episodic TV history.

The series started off so strong. You could argue their adaptation may have even eclipsed the source material. On its face it looks like they were really relying on the source material to do their thing right.

From their comments and reactions, it almost seems that GOT had opened some incredible opportunities for them and they just didn't care about it anymore. Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

They got "out from under it", but at what cost to their reputations?

Hard to think of a more epic fail and fall from grace in episodic TV history.

The series started off so strong. You could argue their adaptation may have even eclipsed the source material. On its face it looks like they were really relying on the source material to do their thing right.

From their comments and reactions, it almost seems that GOT had opened some incredible opportunities for them and they just didn't care about it anymore. Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

They got "out from under it", but at what cost to their reputations?

Yeah, think D&D aren't necessarily terrible writers, just they lost their passion for GoT and got big headed about it and refused to step aside and let others take over.

You can tell GRRM resents them a fair bit too......I believe after about S5, he even stopped contributing at all to the show. Rumour is they started overriding / ignoring his advice.

Right. Its easy to forget even the greatest shows have disappointing finales and final seasons. The Sopranos is often praised as one of if not the best shows on television, and its final seasons were pretty bad.

To this day I'd argue that Law & Order: Original Recipe is the best episodic TV show of all time, and its final 5 or 6 seasons got terrible. WIth stuff like GoT fans tend to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Ever since the series ended suddenly you hear people talking about how everything after season 4 was a steady decline or outright bad despite any such criticism being deafened by the overwhelming applause when the seasons actually aired.

Right. Its easy to forget even the greatest shows have disappointing finales and final seasons. The Sopranos is often praised as one of if not the best shows on television, and its final seasons were pretty bad.

To this day I'd argue that Law & Order: Original Recipe is the best episodic TV show of all time, and its final 5 or 6 seasons got terrible. WIth stuff like GoT fans tend to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Ever since the series ended suddenly you hear people talking about how everything after season 4 was a steady decline or outright bad despite any such criticism being deafened by the overwhelming applause when the seasons actually aired.
There was actually some grumbling about half way through S5. r/freefolk had folks trashing S5 while it was airing. You can also read reviews dating back to S5 airing on RT and IMDB bitching about the dip in quality.

I think most fans of the show like S5 and 6 but it was no longer hands down the best show on tv like the first 4. The amazing era of the show died with Tywin.

There was actually some grumbling about half way through S5. r/freefolk had folks trashing S5 while it was airing. You can also read reviews dating back to S5 airing on RT and IMDB bitching about the dip in quality.

I think most fans of the show like S5 and 6 but it was no longer hands down the best show on tv like the first 4. The amazing era of the show died with Tywin.

Reddit exists to trash things. Not really the best example. I mean, its so subjective. I could argue The Americans was a superior show. What it didnt have was the spectacle. But the quality episode by episode was astonishing.

Think the difference post S4 was that most of the best things relied on big set pieces, and blockbuster rather than character development and plot intrigue. It became like a Marvel film. Fun at times, hit and miss, but largely forgettable. Almost all the main characters peaked early and were all ruined by the end.

https://www-highsnobiety-com.cdn.am...y.com/p/emilia-clarke-game-of-thrones-ending/

Emilia Clarke Isn’t Defending the ‘Game of Thrones’ Finale Anymore

“Yeah, I felt for her. I really felt for her,” Clarke said of her character being stabbed by Jon Snow in the finale. “And yeah, was I annoyed that Jon Snow didn’t have to deal with something? He got away with murder — literally.”

After expressing her frustration with the lack of a happy ending for Daenerys, Clarke insisted she will always be thankful for being able to play such an integral part in one of HBO’s most popular series. She did, however, suggest that the eighth season could have gone on for more than just six episodes. “We could have spun it out for a little longer,” she proclaimed.

Also during her interview with The Sunday Times, Clarke revealed that she would have been pleased with more dialogue in the final season, specifically with Lena Headey, who played Cersei Lannister. Instead, she stated that there were too many action set pieces.

Back