Game Services thread, v2: Ubisoft headline portends a darker gaming future

Just a correction. MLB The Show 21 is leaving in April not 22. I got confused there and thought xbox really only had this game for like 2 weeks.

I was confused as well. I haven't played a baseball game in ages so I had a small interest in playing this...

Next selection of games coming to Gamepass

TW_ComingSoon_7T_Coming-Soon_4.19.2022.jpg

Available Today
F1 2021 (Cloud) EA Play
It's lights out and away we go! Game Pass Ultimate members can experience a gripping F1 story with cloud gaming via EA Play. Hit the track with their own team and live every Formula 1 fan's ultimate fantasy as F1 2021 joins a collection of racing games available to play on EA Play.
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered (Cloud) EA Play
Feel the thrill of the chase and the rush of escape in Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered, now available with cloud gaming via EA Play. Unleash a savage sense of speed both as an outlaw and a cop in the world's hottest high-performance cars. Outsmart the heat or take down lawbreakers with the tactical weaponry at your disposal in a heart-pumping, socially competitive racing experience. It's time to reignite the pursuit.

Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (Cloud, Console, and PC) ID@Xbox
Take control of the titular turnip seeking a way to pay back his debts to a corrupt onion mayor. Featuring a blend of puzzle solving, dungeon exploring, and plant harvesting, Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion is a cute, but epic journey to avoid paying taxes and tear down the establishment.
Coming Soon
7 Days to Die (Cloud, Console, and PC) ID@Xbox – April 26
Set in a brutally unforgiving post-apocalyptic world overrun by the undead, 7 Days to Die is an open-world game that is a unique combination of first-person shooter, survival horror, tower defense, and role-playing games. Play the definitive zombie survival sandbox RPG that came first. Navezgane awaits!

Research and Destroy (Console and PC) – April 26
Available on day one with Game Pass:
Take control of three brilliant Super Scientists in this turn-based action game as you research and develop strange new weapons and gadgets to destroy the Supernatural hordes that have all but crushed humanity!
Bugsnax (Cloud, Console, and PC) ID@Xbox – April 28
Bugsnax takes you on a journey to Snaktooth Island, home of the legendary half-bug half-snack creatures, Bugsnax. Invited by intrepid explorer Elizabert Megafig, you arrive to discover your host nowhere to be found, her camp in shambles, and her followers scattered across the island alone… and hungry!

Unsouled (Console and PC) ID@Xbox – April 28
Test your reflexes to the limit and land uber-satisfying combos in Unsouled, a punishingly difficult (yet fair) Action RPG. During the journey, you'll have to master the ability to execute various skill combos and counterattacks for maximum damage if you hope to survive.

More touch controls added to games

• Ben 10
  • Besiege
  • Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Anniversary Edition
  • Edge of Eternity
  • Hitman Trilogy
  • Lawn Mowing Simulator
  • Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered
  • Paw Patrol
  • Race with Ryan
  • Transformers Battlegrounds
  • Windjammers 2
  • Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

Leaving the Service soon

• Cricket 19 (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Outlast 2 (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Secret Neighbor (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Streets of Rage 4 (Cloud, Console, and PC)

also upcoming in the next couple of months

I'm excited to share that we're working with Ubisoft to bring even more incredible games to the Game Pass library! In the next two months, Assassin's Creed Origins will join the library for cloud, console, and PC via Ubisoft Connect app. We will also bring For Honor: Marching Fire Edition to PC via Ubisoft Connect app, and upgrade to the Marching Fire Edition for cloud and console

PC Game Pass now available in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam. Users there can get 3 months for $1.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/04/20/pc-game-pass-launch-southeast-asia/

As a part of our mission to bring the joy and community of gaming to everyone on the planet, we're excited to announce PC Game Pass is now available in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam. All PC players can get started for three months for $1 (USD).

This marks a beginning for Xbox in Southeast Asia, and we are excited to provide gamers in the region with another option to discover games and play with friends at a great value. Once players complete their initial three months for $1 (USD), PC Game Pass will then be available for one low monthly price.

"Our goal is to bring PC Game Pass to more countries where Windows is available to help us reach over 3 billion gamers worldwide. We are off to a strong start in Southeast Asia where we saw great demand for PC Game Pass during the preview period. We are listening to the players and are always looking to improve the experience. This includes growing the selection of games across genres and providing better language support," says Jeremy Hinton, Xbox Asia Business Lead.

PC Game Pass includes exciting games like Age of Empires IV, Back 4 Blood, Forza Horizon 5, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, Hades, Minecraft, Sea of Thieves, and Microsoft Flight Simulator, among others. This includes new Xbox Game Studios titles on day one like Halo Infinite, as well as iconic franchises like, DOOM, Wolfenstein, Dishonored, and The Evil Within from Bethesda Softworks, independent games, and blockbusters. EA Play is also included with the service, featuring some of the world's biggest franchises including FIFA, Battlefield, The Sims, and Mass Effect.

We look forward to welcoming PC game players from Southeast Asia to the Game Pass community

Sony unveils new subscription tiers:
UPDATE: All-new PlayStation Plus launches in June with 700+ games and more value than ever
PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now come together; players can choose from three flexible options.
Sony Blog said:
PlayStation Plus Essential
Benefits
  • Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
    • Two monthly downloadable games
    • Exclusive discounts
    • Cloud storage for saved games
    • Online multiplayer access
  • There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this tier.

Price* for PlayStation Plus Essential remains the same as the current price for PlayStation Plus.
  • United States
    • $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly
  • Europe
    • €8.99 monthly / €24.99 quarterly / €59.99 yearly
  • United Kingdom
    • £6.99 monthly / £19.99 quarterly / £49.99 yearly
  • Japan
    • ¥850 monthly / ¥2,150 quarterly / ¥5,143 yearly

PlayStation Plus Extra

Benefits
  • Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
  • Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
Price*
  • United States
    • $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
  • Europe
    • €13.99 monthly / €39.99 quarterly / €99.99 yearly
  • United Kingdom
    • £10.99 monthly / £31.99 quarterly / £83.99 yearly
  • Japan
    • ¥1,300 monthly / ¥3,600 quarterly / ¥8,600 yearly

PlayStation Plus Premium**

Benefits
  • Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
  • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
    • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
    • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
  • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.***
  • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
Price*
  • United States
    • $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
  • Europe
    • €16.99 monthly / €49.99 quarterly / €119.99 yearly
  • United Kingdom
    • £13.49 monthly / £39.99 quarterly / £99.99 yearly
  • Japan
    • ¥1,550 – monthly / ¥4,300 – quarterly / ¥10,250 yearly
  • PlayStation Plus Deluxe (Select Markets) For markets without cloud streaming, PlayStation Plus Deluxe will be offered at a lower price compared to Premium, and includes a catalog of beloved classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations to download and play, along with time-limited game trials. Benefits from Essential and Extra tiers are also included. Local pricing will vary by market.

The new Extra and Premium tiers represent a major evolution for PlayStation Plus. With these tiers, our key focus is to ensure that the hundreds of games we offer will include the best quality content that sets us apart. At launch, we plan to include titles such as Death Stranding, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Mortal Kombat 11, and Returnal. We’re working closely with our imaginative developers from PlayStation Studios and third-party partners to include some of the best gaming experiences available with a library that will be regularly refreshed. More details to come on the games we’ll have on our new PlayStation Plus service.

Additionally, we’re also expanding our cloud streaming access to the following locations for a total of 30 markets with cloud streaming access**. The following markets will also offer the Premium tier from PlayStation Plus at launch: Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Republic of Cyprus, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia.

Also, bad news on the Game Pass front: the monthly cost of the PC plan via Microsoft Rewards Points increased from 6,800 points to 7,750 points last month.

I'm surprised it took them this long to catch up. Better late than never, though. The future of subscription based gaming is here now.
Yes, I'm not sure why the price reduction for combining PSNow into PS Plus took so long, because that's all this is, but yes, it makes sense.

My personal suspicion is it's because the XSX/XSS have been outselling the PS5 for several months in both the USA & North America writ large, and are on the verge of eclipsing it in total sales (PS5 stands at 7.72m in North America to 7.60m for the XSX/XSS, now). These aren't key sales months, so it's possible they aren't worried about, but I think they're more worried about that headline suddenly trending prior to the upcoming holiday season this Fall.
Switch Best-Selling Console in the US in March as Xbox Series X|S Sets Xbox Record
VGChartz said:
The Nintendo Switch is the best-selling console of 2022 in terms of units sold, while the Xbox Series X|S is number one in terms of dollar sales.

The Xbox Series X|S set two new records for the Xbox platform in March 2022, in terms of units sold and dollar sales. The previous records were set in March 2011 for units sold and March 2014 for dollar sales. The previous record for units sold was 433,000 units, which means the Xbox Series X|S sold above this figure for the month.

Otherwise, this is lipstick on a pig. They aren't releasing major IPs on Day 1 to the service, and every downloadable game they're adding is a PS4 or PS2 game, so # all the jokes previously aimed at the XSX about "muh backwards compatibility". That's been a flourish of their marketing. Notice they say, "PS4 and PS5" games, but to date, a full year and a half after the PS5's launch, there still hasn't been a single 9th gen game added to PSNow, and it looks like the service will retire without having ever added a single one. There are currently 370 downloadable games on PSNow.

I haven't seen recent analysis, either, but the peak metered data delivery with cloud-streaming on PSNow didn't used to go above 20 Mbps while Microsoft's xCloud is on par with NVIDIA's GeForce Now around 50 Mbps. Also, the xCloud will stream to Android devices and iPhones/iPads (or even Chromebooks if using the browser log-in). Finally, PS4 owners are limited to 1080p@30fps cloud-streaming while the xCloud streams up to 4K@60fps or 1080p@120fps depending on the game for any device capable of handling these resolutions and framerates.

Last edited:
Otherwise, this is lipstick on a pig. They aren't releasing major IPs on Day 1 to the service, and every downloadable game they're adding is a PS4 or PS2 game, so # all the jokes previously aimed at the XSX about "muh backwards compatibility". That's been a flourish of their marketing. Notice they say, "PS4 and PS5" games, but to date, a full year and a half after the PS5's launch, there still hasn't been a single 9th gen game added to PSNow, and it looks like the service will retire without having ever added a single one. There are currently 370 downloadable games on PSNow, and almost every single one is a PS4 game.

How many PS5 exclusive games are there, though? Serious question. I know there's the Demons Souls remake, and likely a few smaller titles that don't immediately stand out, but I'm struggling to think of even a handful of big true next gen games. On either system for that matter. Seems like damn near everything has been cross gen. I can't say that not having PS5 games on the service is a huge deal as of now.

Cloud gaming is still a bit of an underpowered novelty, so I don't think it's quality is much of a factor at this point. People are gonna install if they they have the choice, until that shit catches up. Won't be too long before then, but they're still not quite there yet.

How many PS5 exclusive games are there, though? Serious question. I know there's the Demons Souls remake, and likely a few smaller titles that don't immediately stand out, but I'm struggling to think of even a handful of big true next gen games. On either system for that matter. Seems like damn near everything has been cross gen. I can't say that not having PS5 games on the service is a huge deal as of now.
Almost none:
https://www.gematsu.com/exclusives/ps5

But I'm not just talking about PS5 exclusives. I'm talking about cross-platform 9th gen games with a distinct, native PS5 version. I believe there are at least a few games from the PS4 era with PS5 optimized updates on PS Now, though I'm not sure if the optimized version deploys to PS5 owners via PSNow, but I'm saying there isn't a single game from the 9th gen-- PS5 full exclusives or otherwise-- which is on PSNow.
https://psnowguide.com/games/?orderby=release_date

Heads up for our forum regulars who subscribe to Game Pass, and don't eschew the gray key market:
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate 3-month extensions drop to just $26 with free digital delivery (42% off)
CDKeys is now offering 3 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for $26.19 with free digital delivery. Regularly $45 and currently selling for $40 at Amazon, this is the lowest price we can find to extend your existing subscription right now and is $0.50 below our previous mention. While we have seen slightly lower prices from not so trustworthy digital retailers, CDKeys is a notable option we have featured loads of times over the years. When the 3-month subscription comes down this low, there’s no telling how long the discounted price might stick around for so grab it now if you need an extension to your existing subscription. More details below.
Direct Link:
https://www.cdkeys.com/3-month-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-xbox-one-pc

$8.73/mo
at this rate.

Next lot of additions to Game Pass

GP_ComingSoon_may_3_2022-8e97dfb65b93a01dfd42.jpg

Today:

- Loot River
- NBA 2K22

May 5:

- Trek To Yomi
- Citizen Sleeper

May 10:

- Danganronpa 2
- Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising
- This War of Mine: Final Cut

May 12:

- NHL 22

Next lot of additions to Game Pass

GP_ComingSoon_may_3_2022-8e97dfb65b93a01dfd42.jpg
I don't see Battlefield 2042 and FIFA 22 anywhere on that schedule, so I'm guessing this deflates the rumor they were both coming to Game Pass this month.

I don't see Battlefield 2042 and FIFA 22 anywhere on that schedule, so I'm guessing this deflates the rumor they were both coming to Game Pass this month.

Thats only the first half of the month, theres still a chance it could be in the update in a couple of weeks for the second half of the month.

FIFA 22 is one of the free PlayStation plus games of the month. Not sure if that would make it less likely or more likely to be on Gamepass the same month.

FIFA 22 is one of the free PlayStation plus games of the month. Not sure if that would make it less likely or more likely to be on Gamepass the same month.
Nah, no correlation there. It's about when EA rescinds the latest installment from their EA Pro to their Play tier.

FIFA 21
has been on Game Pass since May of last year, about six months after its initial release, which is why FIFA 22 arriving in May would make sense. Previously, every FIFA before that has appeared on Game Pass in November, of the year following its launch, so EA has expedited their relegation of the latest installments.

Same thing with NBA 2K22 and Madden 22 which are both already on Game Pass.

NHL 22 will also be added this month.

Second half of May's games for Gamepass has been announced : https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/05/17/game-pass-may-2022-wave-2-update/

XGP_Coming-Soon_5.17.2022-3dc9a5db67b25984266e.jpg

Available Today
Her Story (PC) ID@Xbox
The game that relaunched an entire genre, Her Story is the award-winning mystery game from Sam Barlow, writer/designer of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and creator of Telling Lies. In this nonlinear crime fiction classic, a woman is interviewed seven times by the police. Search the video database and explore hundreds of authentic clips to discover her story.

Jurassic World Evolution 2 (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Jurassic World Evolution 2 is the much-anticipated sequel to Frontier's highly successful Jurassic World Evolution, building upon the ground-breaking and immersive 2018 management simulation. It introduces a compelling new campaign and Chaos Theory Modes, range of new features, customization options and awe-inspiring new dinosaurs that include flying and marine reptiles.

Little Witch in the Woods (Game Preview) (Console and PC) ID@Xbox
Little Witch in the Woods tells the story of Ellie, an apprentice witch. Explore the mystical forest, help the charming residents, and experience the daily life as a little witch.

Skate (Cloud) EA Play
Head back to where it all began in Skate, available today with cloud gaming via EA Play! Get chased by security guards, impress citizens, ride with pros, discover skate shops, and make spots your own in this fully reactive city!

Umurangi Generation Special Edition (Cloud, Console, and PC) ID@Xbox
Umurangi Generation is a first-person photography sandbox set in the retro future city of Tauranga, Aotearoa during an impending crisis. As a courier for the Tauranga Express, you get to travel around Tauranga taking pictures and documenting the world and its reality through the lenses of your camera.

Coming Soon
Farming Simulator 22 (Cloud, Console, and PC) – May 19
Farming Simulator 22 brings a multitude of new gameplay features and offers more content and player freedom than ever before, including new ground working features like mulching or stone picking, an improved build-mode adding greenhouses and beehives, as well as a new character creator to bring your own, individual farmer to life.

Vampire Survivors (PC) ID@Xbox – May 19
Jump straight into the action, mow down thousands of night creatures, and survive until dawn! The gothic-horror world of Vampire Survivors will throw relentless hordes of monsters at you: make the right choices, or rely on your skills and favorite weapons to turn the tide and quickly snowball against your enemies

Floppy Knights (Cloud, Console, and PC) ID@Xbox – May 24
Floppy Knights is a fresh take on two familiar genres: tactics fused with card-game strategy. Join Phoebe and Carlton, a brilliant young inventor & her robot-arm bestie, as they square off in turn-based battles. Build the perfect deck, execute seamless card combos, and lead your Floppy Knights to victory!

Hardspace: Shipbreaker (PC) ID@Xbox – May 24
Available on day one with PC Game Pass:
Equipped with cutting-edge salvaging tech, carve and slice a variety of derelict spaceships at will in zero-g to recover valuable materials. Be careful with your tools: you don't want to trigger an explosive chain reaction that could be deadly, or worse – costly! Upgrade your gear to take on more lucrative contracts to pay your debt to LYNX Corporation through a compelling campaign, relax in freeplay, or compete in timed challenges.

Sniper Elite 5 (Console and PC) ID@Xbox – May 26
The award-winning series returns with unparalleled sniping, tactical third-person combat and an enhanced kill cam. Fight your way across the most immersive maps yet, with many real-world locations captured in stunning detail, and an improved traversal system that lets you explore more of them than ever before.

Cricket 22 (PC) ID@Xbox – May 27
Step on to the field for the most comprehensive cricket game ever with PC Game Pass! With more licenses, a narrative-driven career mode, and 4K visuals, Cricket 22 is a true next-generation sporting experience. All-new control options make the game more accessible to players of all skill levels, while Big Ant Studios' authentic recreation of every aspect of the sport provides hundreds of hours of hyper-realistic cricket action for fans. Lead your team to glory, your way!

Pac-Man Museum+ (Cloud, Console, and PC) – May 27
Pac-Man Museum+ features 14 of the series' legendary games! Players can enjoy the iconic original arcade classic alongside a variety of other play styles from over 40 years of Pac-Man history! Also includes online leaderboards and the ability to customize your very own virtual arcade room! Plus, Ultimate members can play with cloud gaming and touch controls on day one, no controller needed!

Games leaving the service at the end of the month

Leaving May 31
The following games will be leaving the Game Pass library soon, so be sure to jump back in to tie up any loose ends or grab remaining achievements before they go. As always, be sure to use your membership discount to save up to 20% to keep them in your library.
  • EA Sports NHL 20 (Console)
  • Farming Simulator 19 (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Knockout City (Console and PC) EA Play
  • Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Spellforce 3: Soul Harvest (PC)
  • Superhot Mind Control Delete (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Yes Your Grace (Cloud, Console, and PC)

Touch Controls added for another 11 games

• A Memoir Blue
  • Contrast
  • Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Anniversary Edition
  • Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising
  • Far: Changing Tides
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • Loot River
  • Paradise Killer
  • Tainted Grail: Conquest
  • Townscaper
  • Visage

epic-games-store-mega-sale-2022-1920x1080-159ce25d739b.jpg

@rikwebb already shared the surprise return of the mystery box giveaways kicking off with Borderlands 3 in our freebie thread, but I'll post that link again here:
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/borderlands-3

Once you claim that, you will automatically also claim the Mega Sale coupon. If not, you can manually claim it here:
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/coupons/mega-sale
Unfortunately, the coupon has been nerfed a bit. In years past, you received a $10 coupon. It was applied to your first purchase of a game $15 or greater. You then received a new coupon with each subsequent purchase like this, and so you could chain coupon applications together with as much as 66.6% off the cost of the game. This year, instead, there is only this one coupon, and they're simply applying 25% off to every game that you add to your cart that costs $15 or more (any game on the store). However, at least this still compounds with the discounts already available as part of the sale. The silver lining is that the discount may actually be greater for games already deeply discounted and/or the most expensive games which tend to be the newest and most popular.

While the coupon applies to all games on the store, discounted or not, here is all the games on sale:
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/browse?sortBy=releaseDate&sortDir=DESC&tag=Epic MEGA Sale&count=40

Some historic lows, on any store, if counting the additional discount of the coupon code (you'll see the new total once you Add to Cart):

Last edited:
First june update for Game Pass

FUGF7mwX0AEO4jR

Coming Soon
  • For Honor: Marching Fire Edition (Cloud, Console, and PC) – June 1
  • Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection (Console and PC) – June 2
  • Assassin's Creed Origins (Cloud, Console and PC) – June 7
  • Chorus (Cloud, Console, and PC) ID@Xbox – June 7
  • Disc Room (Cloud, Console, and PC) ID@Xbox – June 7
  • Spacelines from the Far Out (Console and PC) ID@Xbox – June 7
  • Available on day one with Game Pass: Spacelines from the Far Out is a 'roguelike-like' co-op management game about airlines in space, featuring unlockable spaceships, upgrades, characters and customizations, randomly-generated challenges, trips and itineraries, with a generous serving of 60s space-age flair and jazz!
The following games are leaving the Game Pass library soon. As always, this is your time to show them some love before they go! Remember, this doesn't have to be goodbye as you can save up to 20% on your purchase to keep them in your library!

• Darkest Dungeon (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Greedfall (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Limbo (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Worms Rumble (Cloud, Console, and PC)

Saw Greedfall is leaving Gamepass in two weeks. That sucks, I had wanted to play that, just been too busy.

Back