Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

I've never seen a stock image that looked so dated

iz23xcY.png

ohzrd5t.jpg

I've never seen a stock image that looked so dated

iz23xcY.png

i don't know what's funnier about this shit article... that it's pic is from 2008 or that they're taking a known liar (andrew from citron) seriously.

also, he (citron) and melvin seemed to be in violation of SEC policy by not closing short positions within the alotted time.

So question for the builders and advanced folks.

How important is the motherboard? Like, do certain brands crash more. What's the difference between a $200 motherboard and a $500 motherboard?

Also, like on average, how many generations of processes does a motherboard last, before the CPUs require a different kind of socket thus requiring a new motherboard if you want to upgrade your system?

So question for the builders and advanced folks.

How important is the motherboard? Like, do certain brands crash more. What's the difference between a $200 motherboard and a $500 motherboard?

Also, like on average, how many generations of processes does a motherboard last, before the CPUs require a different kind of socket thus requiring a new motherboard if you want to upgrade your system?

Intel usually lasts 2 generations on the same socket. This new upcoming generation on Intel will be the last year on that socket.
AMD's AM4 socket has lasted 4 generations* and is currently at the end of the sockets life. Next generation AMD stuff will be on a different socket.

Intel usually lasts 2 generations on the same socket. This new upcoming generation on Intel will be the last year on that socket.
AMD's AM4 socket has lasted 4 generations* and is currently at the end of the sockets life. Next generation AMD stuff will be on a different socket.

Wow, that's way shorter than I would have thought. So basically if you buy a top of the line AMD processeor or Intel processor, and 3, 4 or 5 years down the road look to upgrade, you're basically going to have to disassembe your whole PC, get a new motherboard and processer, then put things back together. I don't think that would work for a hack like me.

Wow, that's way shorter than I would have thought. So basically if you buy a top of the line AMD processeor or Intel processor, and 3, 4 or 5 years down the road look to upgrade, you're basically going to have to disassembe your whole PC, get a new motherboard and processer, then put things back together. I don't think that would work for a hack like me.

I know it's another video, but Tech Quickie does a great job of breaking things down to non tech people levels.

A lot of people go 5+ years without changing their motherboard/cpu. Graphics cards usually get upgraded much quicker.
Changing a motherboard can seem intimidating but it it's easy to do.

I know it's another video, but Tech Quickie does a great job of breaking things down to non tech people levels.

A lot of people go 5+ years without changing their motherboard/cpu. Graphics cards usually get upgraded much quicker.

Thank you sir. That all makes sense.

I follow a strict budgeting process but I'm saving up for a new rig this year. Likely going to go digital storm. I right now have a micro form factor, but am thinking going mid for easier upgradeability reasons. I guess a Ryzen 9 5900x will probably last me a long time. Thinking of waiting for 3080 ti to become available and go with either 32 or 64 GB RAM. I'm thinking 32 will suffice. Then maybe 3 or so years down the road a video card upgrade but the processor will still be relevant fine I think that's the way to do it.

Guess what it will come down to is availability of the processor and card and both seem like issues, especially the latter. I always get frustrated when there's something out there I want but can't get it into my hands lol.

I never got a straight answer as to whether you could swap a motherboard but keep the Operating System disk drive untouched. It seems possible to keep your existing OS and installs and data, but most people have said you have to do a full wipe and start fresh.

My gaming mouse is starting to get skippy. I think its got a cat hair inside the laser. I went to see how much a new one is and I was surprised to see how much they are milking gamers now. My Corsair M65 was 50 bucks 5 years ago, and now when you shop for a 2020 model they want $150+ for something that does the same.

I'm thinking of buying a new keyboard too since most my letters are worn off. It looks like they want hundreds for a "gaming" keyboard. I don't need macros, whats the point in a $200 keyboard.

Crazy idea apparently Intel been working on ultra-capacitor chips. They have near zero resistance an cut power use to almost zero while allowing much higher clocks.

The Japanese have jumped ahead in developing the technology an Intel may take in a partnership or mostly looking for government help funding development an manufacturing.

Computers use a staggering amount of energy today. According to one recent estimate, data centers alone consume two percent of the world's electricity, a figure that's expected to climb to eight percent by the end of the decade. To buck that trend, though, perhaps the microprocessor, at the center of the computer universe, could be streamlined in entirely new ways.

One group of researchers in Japan have taken this idea to the limit, creating a superconducting microprocessor — one with zero electrical resistance. The new device, the first of its kind, is described in a study published last month in the IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits ...

The price of entry for the niobium-based microprocessor is of course the cryogenics and the energy cost for cooling the system down to superconducting temperatures. "But even when taking this cooling overhead into account," says Christopher Ayala, an Associate Professor at the Institute of Advanced Sciences at Yokohama National University, in Japan, who helped develop the new microprocessor, "The AQFP is still about 80 times more energy-efficient when compared to the state-of-the-art semiconductor electronic device, "

"https://m.slashdot.org/story/380748

I never got a straight answer as to whether you could swap a motherboard but keep the Operating System disk drive untouched. It seems possible to keep your existing OS and installs and data, but most people have said you have to do a full wipe and start fresh.

My MSI motherboard with AMD CPU recognized the switch and reconfigured the OS before boot. However i did do a fresh install.

Gaming mice today have better sensors, higher polling rate, are lighter and have better build quality for longevity. My mouse and wireless charging mousepad cost $250 total.

A proper mechanical keyboard should only cost between 50-70 dollars.

Intel 11900K and 11700K processors are annihilating the Geekbench single-core test
Techspot said:
Something to look forward to: In some early benchmarks, Intel's eleventh generation are demolishing their predecessors...

In the past couple of days, a smattering of i9-11900K, i7-11700K, and i5-11500 Geekbench scores have entered the scene. Intel's flagship waded into the foray of the leaderboards. Though it's difficult to tell, it looks as if the 11900K is only beat by processors running a different operating system or using an extreme overclock.

To frame the scene, a Ryzen R9 5950X typically gets 1682 points in the single-core test, and the 10900K, 1402. The upcoming 11900K got 1892, a 35% generational leap and a 12% advantage over the Ryzen part. The 11700K was only a hair behind, with four scores at about the 1810 mark.

As we've mentioned before, Intel's upcoming Core i7 and i9 processors will be an 8-core affair, only, so their multi-core scores aren't stellar, but they're good for the core count. The 11900K got 10934, while the 11700K ranged from 10639 to 11287. AMD's octa-core 5800X is slightly behind with 10426 points, while the current 10-core 10900K lands in between with 10930 points.

There's been concern that the 11900K's eight cores could fall behind the 10900K's ten. The good news (though it sounds silly) is that these results say that the 11900K will be better than the 10900K in every way, as a successor should be. But… all that performance goodness could be soured by a high price, according to some info from last weekend.

More appealing could be the 11700K. It looks like it'll be cheaper and faster than the 10900K. And compared to the 11900K, it should be considerably more affordable and almost as powerful -- during the tests, the 11700K ran at 5 GHz, an insignificant notch down from the 11900K's 5.3 GHz. Nothing a little overclock wouldn't fix, anyway.

Rounding out the tail of the series are scores from the i5-11500 and i5-11400. Both are 6-core and 12-thread parts. The former ran at 4.6 GHz and the latter at 4.4 GHz. The 11500's single-core score of 1588 was 35% above its predecessor's, while its multi-core score was 20% higher. The 11400's scores were 10% higher than the 10400's.
The 11900K & 11700K are crushing their opposition. While the 11900K's 5.3 GHz frequency is concerning, the 11700K is matching its performance at a lower turbo than both the 10900K and 10700K. With a single core advantage this gaping over the Ryzen 5950X there is little doubt-- assuming no funny business-- Intel with retake the gaming throne, and by a significant margin. After all, remember, for now, the 5800X is the de facto equal to the 5950X in gaming performance even if it doesn't stack up on paper.

The three remaining biggest questions requiring more solid confirmation are:
  1. What will pricing be?
  2. Will Intel also botch their launch with an insufficient supply like AMD, or will they be able to practically close the gap between the launch dates on paper by churning out enough to sate the global market?
  3. How much heat are we talking-- what will be the minimum sufficient CPU cooler required to handle these reasonably? Specifically the 11700K.

Intel producing this level of performance on the 14nm fabrication is almost as mindblowing as the 5950X maintaining its per-core frequencies across a 16-core chip with the IPC that Zen 3 boasts.

***Update 2-7-2021***
Intel Core i9-11900K Rocket Lake Flagship Scores Huge In Geekbench: Fastest Single-Threaded CPU Performance Ever Recorded, First CPU to ever Break 1900 Single-Thread Score, 13% Faster Than AMD’s Zen 3
WCCFTech said:
The latest benchmarks of Intel's Core i9-11900K Rocket Lake flagship CPU have leaked over at Geekbench. The numbers show a record-breaking performance for the upcoming chip which is going to feature a brand new core architecture on an Intel Desktop platform for the first time in more than 6 years.

Coming to the benchmark, the CPU was tested at least three times on the same configuration that consists of a Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Master motherboard and 32 GB of DDR4-3600 MHz memory. A maximum single-threaded score of 1905 points & a multi-threaded score of 10994 points was seen during the tests. This puts the Intel Core i9-11900K Rocket Lake CPU as the fastest single-threaded chip ever created. Compared to AMD's fastest Zen 3 chip, the Ryzen 9 5950X, the Intel CPU is 13% faster.

Intel Core i9-11900K Rocket Lake Desktop CPU Specifications:

The Intel Core i9-11900K will be the flagship 11th Gen Rocket Lake Desktop CPU. The chip is going to feature 8 cores and 16 threads. This will result in 16 MB of L3 cache (2 MB per core) and 4 MB of L2 cache (512 KB per core). In terms of clocks, the CPU runs at base frequencies of 3.5 GHz but as for boost, the CPU will feature a maximum boost clock of 5.2 GHz (1-core) while the all-core boost frequency will be maintained at 4.8 GHz.

The chip will also feature Thermal Velocity Boost which should deliver a 100 MHz jump in the max clock frequency. This should lead to a single-core boost clock of 5.3 GHz making it the first CPU to ever hit such a high frequency out of the box. However, do remember that regardless of using the Cypress Cove cores, the Core i9-11900K will feature lower cores and threads than the Intel Core i9-10900K. This is partially due to the backporting of Cypress Cove on the refined 14nm process node. The CPU is said to feature a 1st stage power limit of 125W which is standard for a flagship Intel SKU and the 2nd stage power limit or PL2 is rated at 250W.

Saw this yesterday, but was waiting for confirmation it was the fastest confirmed single thread score.
That 1892 score has been pushed up to 1905. This is the first time the 1900 barrier has been broken. While the CPU was overclocked, the overclock only affected the multicore score, not the single core score, as the overclock matches the stock turbo boost of 5.3GHz.

Intel appears poised to retake the gaming crown comfortably.

Last edited:
If you're wondering where your 3080 is look in a BMW i8 mining rig.
When you want to remind people you're an a-hole lol.
full

If you're wondering where your 3080 is look in a BMW i8 mining rig.
When you want to remind people you're an a-hole lol.
full
A-hole confirmed apparently lol.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to...s/the-fastest-rtx-3080-mining-rig-is-a-bmw-i8

"
Big-time miner Simon Byrne went the extra mile and made a portable RTX 3080 mining rig that is capable of going 0-60mph in under 4.5 seconds.

The vehicle Byrne used is the BMW i8, and in the trunk is a small RTX 3080 farm with six GPUs. Simon uses this machine to make money on the go when he is away from his massive 78 RTX 3080 mining farm.

We reached out to Byrne to verify this system is real, and he confirms that he made it himself. In fact, when we asked if it was real, he responded: "Indeed, just to annoy gamers." "

Oh to add to this one not bragging is from Iceland of all places an makes Simon 78 look tiny. Apparently the massive bitcoin mining rig is made up of up to 1000 3080's.

Edit in other news could ease things is MSI an Gigabyte are working on mining specific boards. Reason why it could ease things it would remove a number of pieces not needed for mining. These extra pieces could be used for gaming boards. But it does not address shortages with GPU's.

Last edited:
A-hole confirmed apparently lol.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to...s/the-fastest-rtx-3080-mining-rig-is-a-bmw-i8

"
Big-time miner Simon Byrne went the extra mile and made a portable RTX 3080 mining rig that is capable of going 0-60mph in under 4.5 seconds.

The vehicle Byrne used is the BMW i8, and in the trunk is a small RTX 3080 farm with six GPUs. Simon uses this machine to make money on the go when he is away from his massive 78 RTX 3080 mining farm.

We reached out to Byrne to verify this system is real, and he confirms that he made it himself. In fact, when we asked if it was real, he responded: "Indeed, just to annoy gamers." "

Oh to add to this one not bragging is from Iceland of all places an makes Simon 78 look tiny. Apparently the massive bitcoin mining rig is made up of up to 1000 3080's.

Edit in other news could ease things is MSI an Gigabyte are working on mining specific boards. Reason why it could ease things it would remove a number of pieces not needed for mining. These extra pieces could be used for gaming boards. But it does not address shortages with GPU's.
What a prick

Reactions: PEB
People like that then wonder why they get their ass kicked.

Some time ago board partners where playing with the idea of a dedicated bus that would interconnect the high speed bus to allow someone to pull out sections.

If you had to removed the CPU section would contain all the support logic as well as the CPU socket. Same goes with the express lanes and m.2 slots as well as SATA.

Then it kinda died off it was going to even allow choices of brands of CPU's.

BoardModules-Flatback.png

Been playing CSGO all month and the past few weeks i ran into weird bugs. Noticed occasionally some headshots not landing, disconnect between where the opponent is to where the opponent dies when at low ping, shit players hitting insane peek headshots on me, delay in headshots registering server side, my shots not even registering, visual frames drops even though im at 300+, periodic hitching/desync and single mouse left click registering as a double click.

Last night i figured out the cause. For no apparent reason Nvidia GPU drivers enabled Gsync globally and in all game profile settings.

W1MO.gif