Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

"
The first pictures of Intel's high-end Xe-HPG DG2 GPU-based discrete gaming graphics cards and specifications have been leaked by Moore's Law is Dead. The leaker has not only posted the first pictures of the engineering board but also detailed the specifications and expected performance numbers of the flagship part.

Intel's Xe-HPG DG2 High-End Gaming Graphics Card Pictured - 512 EUs, 275W TDP on TSMC 6nm Node, Performance Up To NVIDIA's RTX 3080
The Xe HPG DG2 GPUs based on the Gen 12 graphics architecture is a brand new design hence it is expected of them to feature brand new shading techniques such as these. Other than that, Intel discrete graphics cards will fully support ray tracing and a range of other capabilities such as Intel's own DLSS competitor which is internally being referred to as XeSS (Xe Super Sampling)."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccfte...d-specs-performance-rtx-3080-performance/amp/

Zen 3 APUs have been announced. In the past these high-performance APUs have never found a niche, even though they seem so well-suited for the HPTC market and other extreme SFF barebones PCs like the NUC units Intel has sold, but they've just always been too expensive. With the Cryptosurge the market has never been riper for these processors to really gain a foothold as a more mainstream product that moves a high volume of units.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem like AMD is interested in manufacturing them. You can't even find these Ryzen 4000 (launched in July 2020) to buy discretely like past APUs. They're sparse in prebuilds. A reminder of this previous Zen 2 APU flagship's capabilities.

Fallout 4, RDR2, Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3, Dirt 5, GTA V, Crysis Remastered

Battlefield V

Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5

Unity is getting DLSS later this year.

Unity Plans to Add Native Support for Nvidia DLSS by the End of the Year
Nvidia announced that native support for its Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) technology would be added to the Unity game engine by the end of the year. That integration will make DLSS part of two leading engines—Unity and Unreal Engine—used to develop games for practically every device on the market.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem like AMD is interested in manufacturing them

there's little margin on them. so while we're in an era of unprecedented demand, they'll be basically dead last in terms of priority. especially since their fingers are already in so many pies.

that said, amd should have substantially increased wafers, but i'm not sure how much is going to be bogarted by consoles.

it kinda sucks, but it is what it is.

there's little margin on them. so while we're in an era of unprecedented demand, they'll be basically dead last in terms of priority. especially since their fingers are already in so many pies.

that said, amd should have substantially increased wafers, but i'm not sure how much is going to be bogarted by consoles.

it kinda sucks, but it is what it is.

There's more profit in higher end cpu's so of course they're going to make those.

Zen 3 APUs have been announced. In the past these high-performance APUs have never found a niche, even though they seem so well-suited for the HPTC market and other extreme SFF barebones PCs like the NUC units Intel has sold, but they've just always been too expensive. With the Cryptosurge the market has never been riper for these processors to really gain a foothold as a more mainstream product that moves a high volume of units.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem like AMD is interested in manufacturing them. You can't even find these Ryzen 4000 (launched in July 2020) to buy discretely like past APUs. They're sparse in prebuilds. A reminder of this previous Zen 2 APU flagship's capabilities.

Fallout 4, RDR2, Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3, Dirt 5, GTA V, Crysis Remastered

Battlefield V

Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5

It's too bad they're still using Vega graphics.
Wendell has a 4750g in one of those ASRock's mini pc's and he's always praising it.

In fact, in the past, AMD APUs have always had a higher profit margin than their CPU counterparts.
AMD preannounces lower revenue due to poor demand for its APUs
Fewer customers than expected have bought AMD's APUs (combining a CPU and a graphics chip), forcing AMD to rely on sales of lower-margin products to survive.

That's because they combine an aging CPU architecture with a still cheap onboard GPU, and yet charge roughly the same price as an identical CPU from that generation fetched in the prior year despite other significant sacrifices to the product. The MSRP for the still unobtainable Ryzen 7 4750G at launch was slated for an MSRP of $309, but never went to retail. This was released in July 2020, a full 16 months after Zen 2 originally launched. It's identical to the 3700X, which at that time was going for $259-$279 on the open market, except that it only contains one quarter the L3 cache, and the packaged cooler was the Wraith Stealth, not the Wraith Prism.

In fact, in the past, AMD APUs have always had a higher profit margin than their CPU counterparts.
Fewer customers than expected have bought AMD's APUs (combining a CPU and a graphics chip), forcing AMD to rely on sales of lower-margin products to survive.

That's because they combine an aging CPU architecture with a still cheap onboard GPU, and yet charge roughly the same price as an identical CPU from that generation fetched in the prior year despite other significant sacrifices to the product. The MSRP for the still unobtainable Ryzen 7 4750G at launch was slated for an MSRP of $309, but never went to retail. This was released in July 2020, a full 16 months after Zen 2 originally launched. It's identical to the 3700X, which at that time was going for $259-$279 on the open market, except that it only contains one quarter the L3 cache, and the packaged cooler was the Wraith Stealth, not the Wraith Prism.
Lol I read the title of the two links and was like "wtf" then I clicked and saw the dates.

Lol I read the title of the two links and was like "wtf" then I clicked and saw the dates.
Indeed, it's a blast to the past, and it only deepens my confusion over why they seem entirely uninterested in pushing these APUs today. They couldn't interest anyone back then because they weren't the leader. The CPU performance of these APUs was poor relative to Intel, the thermals were awful, and the GPU performance still lagged badly for anything but the most modest gaming ambitions. All of that has changed.

Now they're the leaders. This is the time to let the good times roll. They can devour the prebuilt Mini PC market with previous gen architecture that doesn't compete for the most sophisticated production space. Money money money.

This a good place to ask what the hell is going on with my monitor?

This happens once maybe every hour or so. I’ll be playing and suddenly I lose picture, audio comes through just fine but my tv kinda blinks for a second and the screen comes back. It’s an LG C9 which is primed for 120 FPS gaming so I’m not sure what the issue is. Everything is up to date so I’m good there and it’s not happening frequently enough to stop me from playing but it’s annoying already.

Just have to jump on a plane an fly to China. A strong case why we need to make these things in the US.

Cool. Now do a post on the Ryzen APU’s and their profit margin.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen any AMD APUs at my MC.

This a good place to ask what the hell is going on with my monitor?

This happens once maybe every hour or so. I’ll be playing and suddenly I lose picture, audio comes through just fine but my tv kinda blinks for a second and the screen comes back. It’s an LG C9 which is primed for 120 FPS gaming so I’m not sure what the issue is. Everything is up to date so I’m good there and it’s not happening frequently enough to stop me from playing but it’s annoying already.
Sounds like a display driver crash. Type "reliability monitor" into the search bar next to the windows button on the task bar and see if any errors are reported. If nothing pops up there, right click the windows button, open Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events and see what's listed there.

Event Viewer is way more thorough but lists far more items so it can be more difficult to find the error you're looking for, whereas if the error shows up in Reliability Monitor it'll be right there and easy to spot.

Edit: if this is on console then never mind. Might just want to call the TV manufacturer.

Sounds like a display driver crash. Type "reliability monitor" into the search bar next to the windows button on the task bar and see if any errors are reported. If nothing pops up there, right click the windows button, open Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events and see what's listed there.

Event Viewer is way more thorough but lists far more items so it can be more difficult to find the error you're looking for, whereas if the error shows up in Reliability Monitor it'll be right there and easy to spot.

Edit: if this is on console then never mind. Might just want to call the TV manufacturer.
Awesome, I’ll give this a shot.

It just happens when I’m running my PC. Any other type of gaming or use is perfectly fine, shouldn’t be an issue with the tv.

Awesome, I’ll give this a shot.

It just happens when I’m running my PC. Any other type of gaming or use is perfectly fine, shouldn’t be an issue with the tv.

Do you have an Nvidia graphics card?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen any AMD APUs at my MC.

they have them, you probably just didn't look for them. their in-house pc line uses them in budget builds and they've occasionally had individual APUs for sale. mine right now only has an athlon 3000g. lolz.

Check to see if you have G-Sync turned on in in GeForce Experience program. Don't turn it on if it's off.
It’s on, that tv is G-Sync compatible as well.