Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

LOL, I'm not optimistic.

I'd held out on a new rig for a while. Originally I just wanted to update my graphics card but now I'm at the point where although the GPUs are available, my CPU is stale, and so I decided to wait for what I thought was a golden opportunity to get a new CPU, GPU, move to DDR5 RAM, to ultra fast nvme drives etc. But it just seems like the price premium attached with everything right now doesn't make sense for the performance jumps. Especially mobos, RAM, and the GPU price hike for the 4000 series mentioned in this thread. Also need beefcake power supplies and cooling too now.

I think realistically I'm going to be gaming off my gaming laptop a bit longer, and reassess things like in Feb/March to see where they stand. Hoping DDR5 matures, nvme drives start going towards old school HDD prices, and maybe AMD can put pressure on GPU prices.

LOL, I'm not optimistic.

I'd held out on a new rig for a while. Originally I just wanted to update my graphics card but now I'm at the point where although the GPUs are available, my CPU is stale, and so I decided to wait for what I thought was a golden opportunity to get a new CPU, GPU, move to DDR5 RAM, to ultra fast nvme drives etc. But it just seems like the price premium attached with everything right now doesn't make sense for the performance jumps. Especially mobos, RAM, and the GPU price hike for the 4000 series mentioned in this thread. Also need beefcake power supplies and cooling too now.

I think realistically I'm going to be gaming off my gaming laptop a bit longer, and reassess things like in Feb/March to see where they stand. Hoping DDR5 matures, nvme drives start going towards old school HDD prices, and maybe AMD can put pressure on GPU prices.
The unpalatably high prices on RAM and the new RTX 4000 series aside, it truly is a golden window to build a brand new PC from the ground up.

The unpalatably high prices on RAM and the new RTX 4000 series aside, it truly is a golden window to build a brand new PC from the ground up.

Yeah there is a bunch of new tech. What I also like is the speed at which external drives can operate these days too. But I'm not good nor patient enough to build a new PC myself. My goal was to get like a high end CPU (I could eventually overclock) with liquid cooling loop that would last me two gens of video cards (would have worked out perfect for me this past go around if it weren't for the long window of inability to get a 3000 series GPU). But I think right now is a heavy "early adopter" tax going on.

LOL, I'm not optimistic.

You don't need to buy the newest thing or break the bank. I'm still gaming on an i5 8400 with 16gb of DDR4 2666 and the only thing holding me back now is my 1070 (especially at 1440p).

Yeah there is a bunch of new tech. What I also like is the speed at which external drives can operate these days too. But I'm not good nor patient enough to build a new PC myself. My goal was to get like a high end CPU (I could eventually overclock) with liquid cooling loop that would last me two gens of video cards (would have worked out perfect for me this past go around if it weren't for the long window of inability to get a 3000 series GPU). But I think right now is a heavy "early adopter" tax going on.
You don't need that. A 12600K or 12700K with a quality air cooler would easily last two gens of GPUs. Heck my Coffee Lake i5 (2017) is locked and uses the stock cooler and the only thing holding me back is my 2016 GPU.

You don't need to buy the newest thing or break the bank. I'm still gaming on an i5 8400 with 16gb of DDR4 2666 and the only thing holding me back now is my 1070 (especially at 1440p).

We have very similar set up. I have same speed RAM but 32GB (still surprises me how unnecessary getting 32 GB was after all this time - if I were to buy a new PC i would get 32GB again), same video card, also a 1440p monitor. You have me on CPU by a hair, I have a i7-6700 that I've overclocked. But yeah 1070 is now limiting for high/ultra settings, and my CPU is getting very close to bottleneck as well. It's treated me quite well for the better part of the past decade, but I have an itch for something new.

You don't need that. A 12600K or 12700K with a quality air cooler would easily last two gens of GPUs. Heck my Coffee Lake i5 (2017) is locked and uses the stock cooler and the only thing holding me back is my 2016 GPU.

I really like the low sound of the liquid loop. And it just looks pretty. I like looking at beautiful things. I'm very shallow that way.

We have very similar set up. I have same speed RAM but 32GB (still surprises me how unnecessary getting 32 GB was after all this time - if I were to buy a new PC i would get 32GB again), same video card, also a 1440p monitor. You have me on CPU by a hair, I have a i7-6700 that I've overclocked. But yeah 1070 is now limiting for high/ultra settings, and my CPU is getting very close to bottleneck as well. It's treated me quite well for the better part of the past decade, but I have an itch for something new.
And the 1070 only became I problem because I finally moved up to 1440p. It was still locked in at 60fps (for the most part, I usually turn shadows to medium) with high/ultra at 1080p. An i5 12400 or Ryzen 5600X (both $180 now) wouldn't bottleneck, especially at 1440p or 4k.

I really like the low sound of the liquid loop. And it just looks pretty. I like looking at beautiful things. I'm very shallow that way.
Nothing wrong with that. We've all spent plenty of hours making our systems look prettier, especially with cable management.

I laughed way too hard at this.

J07jHCu.jpg

LOL, I'm not optimistic.

Yeah I gotta agree that so far this is disappointing. DDR5 at this time is not worth getting. The new CPUs suck power and make heat like no one’s business with no real reason to upgrade from older cpus if you’re only gaming. Maybe that will change with the 4080/4090 being able to unlock the new platforms potential and break the gpu bottleneck, but even if it does the price for those new cards is ludicrous.

Im most disappointed with how insane the power draw and heat production is getting. Hopefully the next gen is about getting the same performance and bringing that outrageous stuff down.

I have a custom loop and it’s cool. I would really only recommend it though if you are into it for the build and looks. It’s great for your system too, but they are expensive costing like 4-500 bucks to put in on average last I looked.

@Madmick I just looked at 7950x and although it looks impressive that high temps (95c) are worrying me. But anyway waiting for 13900k i guess to see whats in there in store.

@Madmick I just looked at 7950x and although it looks impressive that high temps (95c) are worrying me. But anyway waiting for 13900k i guess to see whats in there in store.

They are designed to run at 95 celcius so I wouldn't worry about it. It's definitely worth waiting to see Intels offering however.

They are designed to run at 95 celcius so I wouldn't worry about it. It's definitely worth waiting to see Intels offering however.

Thats not the case. I intent to run it 24/7 for the next 7+ years hopefully. And I dont wanna come home to find out I dont have home if that makes sense. But no its not the case of processor itself but surrounding components inside the case. If that heats up like that then obviously it heats other parts in the motherboard as well and this what I fear the most.

I dont know I just got bad feeling about this.

Thats not the case. I intent to run it 24/7 for the next 7+ years hopefully. And I dont wanna come home to find out I dont have home if that makes sense. But no its not the case of processor itself but surrounding components inside the case. If that heats up like that then obviously it heats other parts in the motherboard as well and this what I fear the most.

I dont know I just got bad feeling about this.

1. You may like to check out the reviews and AMDs comments since it is intended behaviour to go to 95 Celcius and they have designed the CPU to do this. 95 C is the new 'normal' for the 7000 series under load.
2. This is under load. If you are running it 24/7 it will not necessarily sit at 95 C the whole time unless you spend your entire time rendering videos or compiling code.
3. Heating up 'other components' is unlikely to be an issue you have decent air flow. If you are using a smaller case or have limited air flow I'd say you probably ran out of luck a generation ago with the GPUs.
4. Lastly, they have an eco-mode which isn't terribly well reviewed right now but HardWare Unboxed are reporting that it appears the performance hit is trivial but the thermal and power savings are high.

I've marked the start date at the relevent time:

Last edited:
Out of nowhere, Acer has announced its entry into the graphics card market officially, with the introduction of its Predator BiFrost GPU on Twitter today. Surprisingly, it's not an Nvidia or AMD-powered graphics card but one featuring Intel's new Arc A770 flagship GPU.