Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

Simple answer you posted screen captures with a limited view that favored one opinion vs the actually comments made in the video. I really try to avoid trying to shape the opinion of people not saying this was your objective it just better to let people see if they did not watch the video.

So, when something like screen captures is posted, it means that people want to talk about that specifically. You just spam the thread with videos. How long until you spam Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus videos?

So, when something like screen captures is posted, it means that people want to talk about that specifically. You just spam the thread with videos. How long until you spam Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus videos?
What does it really matter I want people to get the whole story not just screen grabs from it make up their own mind. If they don't want to watch it guess what they don't have too isn't America great!

It really is eye-opening to how much we take for granted on the software-side from NVIDIA and AMD when you see how godawful the Intel drivers are. Shows up when you see how much worse the relative performance is at 1080p vs. 1440p against the 3060, for example (where the massive advantage in hardware pipelines is able to make up for the atrocious drivers as the resolution increases). The A770, if powered by AMD drivers, would outperform the RX 6800 at the top of these charts.
https://www.techspot.com/review/2542-intel-arc-a770-a750/
1080p.png

1440p.png

What does it really matter I want people to get the whole story not just screen grabs from it make up their own mind. If they don't want to watch it guess what they don't have too isn't America great!
It matters because you have a tendency to spam the shit out of threads.

I have an rtx 2070 super and I'm thinking of getting an RTX 4080 when it comes out. How big of an upgrade is this? Will my AMD Ryzen 7 3700 CPU bottle neck it? I got 16GB of 3600mhz RAM

I have an rtx 2070 super and I'm thinking of getting an RTX 4080 when it comes out. How big of an upgrade is this? Will my AMD Ryzen 7 3700 CPU bottle neck it? I got 16GB of 3600mhz RAM

A few things:
  • There's two 4080s coming out, with the 4080 16GB being significantly better (and more expensive) than the 12 GB version.
  • We can't tell for sure until reviews are out, but it's increasingly likely that it'll become an issue - more so with competitive titles that have lower draw on the GPU, less so if you are trying to run things at ultra high settings in 4k.
  • You have a direct upgrade path on your existing hardware from a 3700 to a 5000 series CPU which are cheap right now. You won't need to replace the anything else and it'd be a very good (and much more sensible) combination with a 4080.

A few things:
  • There's two 4080s coming out, with the 4080 16GB being significantly better (and more expensive) than the 12 GB version.
  • We can't tell for sure until reviews are out, but it's increasingly likely that it'll become an issue - more so with competitive titles that have lower draw on the GPU, less so if you are trying to run things at ultra high settings in 4k.
  • You have a direct upgrade path on your existing hardware from a 3700 to a 5000 series CPU which are cheap right now. You won't need to replace the anything else and it'd be a very good (and much more sensible) combination with a 4080.
The likelihood the 3700X becomes a bottleneck on the 4080 for GPU-bound titles is practically nonexistent.

A few things:
Yeah this 2 4080s thing is bullshit. Their marketing makes it sound like the difference is only in the amount of ram. But it is not and it’s incredibly misleading.

The likelihood the 3700X becomes a bottleneck on the 4080 for GPU-bound titles is practically nonexistent.

Well I stated that in GPU bound tasks it's probably not an issue. I do feel that if someone is planning on buying a top tier, new GPU they should consider the 5000 series CPU which requires no new MB or RAM - with the following video and graphs below for why.

r7anSbI.png

Last edited:
Well I stated that in GPU bound tasks it's probably not an issue. I do feel that if someone is planning on buying a top tier, new GPU they should consider the 5000 series CPU which requires no new MB or RAM - with the following video and graphs below for why.

r7anSbI.png

Yes, you get better FPS with a better CPU. That should go without saying. That isn't what he asked. He wanted to know if his 3700X would bottleneck the 4080. It won't.

What this graph shows is that more the more powerful GPUs allow for a greater number of games to become CPU-bound. That doesn't mean the lesser CPUs are bottlenecking the GPU. It simply means that in more games the CPUs becomes competitors against each other to produce higher framerates because the game is no longer GPU-bound.

Yes, you get better FPS with a better CPU. That should go without saying. That isn't what he asked. He wanted to know if his 3700X would bottleneck the 4080. It won't.

What this graph shows is that more the more powerful GPUs allow for a greater number of games to become CPU-bound. That doesn't mean the lesser CPUs are bottlenecking the GPU. It simply means that in more games the CPUs becomes competitors against each other to produce higher framerates because the game is no longer GPU-bound.

I'm sorry but this is some really weird (and wrong) wordsmithing.

There's always something that holds back performance and in the graphs where a better CPU produces better framerates the CPU is clearly bottlenecking performance. It's just that simple. The CPU will leave performance on the table in this combination and the videos and graphs show the various combinations and effects you can expect.

Now whether you play at 1080p/1440/4K or whether you care about, for example, 120 vs 140 FPS, that's another question.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but this is some really weird (and wrong) wordsmithing. Regardless of however you choose to

There's always something that holds back performance, and in the graphs where a better CPU produces better framerates the CPU is clearly bottlenecking performance. It's just that simple.

Now whether you play at 1080p/1440/4K or whether you care about, for example, 120 vs 140 FPS, that's another question.
This is why the term "bottlenecking" is eschewed or openly mocked on tech forums altogether. I skip all that to address the spirit of the question. Because, otherwise, if you think about it, the 5600X is a "bottleneck" relative to the 5800X, and so on and so forth, all the way down the ladder.

Steam deck users are buying this thing big time.

Everything I have read has been that Intel is offering very game cards at a very bang per your buck spent price. Not high end but a lot of performance for the price. I was sort of hoping they would compete at the high end but maybe that wasn't realistic with this being their first gen of cards.