Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

Intel 660p 512gb for $50 coupon code EMCTDTE22

From what i read they throttle down pretty hard on their read/write specs. With that said its still better option over a Sata SSD.

Personally im waiting for PCIe 4.0 m.2 slots to become standardized before upgrading.

They're not. Samsung is better.

Soon, we're going to be asking about smartphones...

th

From what i read they throttle down pretty hard on their read/write specs. With that said its still better option over a Sata SSD.

Personally im waiting for PCIe 4.0 m.2 slots to become standardized before upgrading.
Irrelevant to gamers. When Linus looked into this with testing, for example, the throttling was observed only after half the drive was full, and after ~5-6min of sustained usage in his HD Tune write synthetic. The same truth showed up in an actual disk transfer job. Game loads aren't protracted write/rendering jobs with the data being written for those periods of time. It's a temporary read job that takes a few minutes at most. In between loads the drive has time to rebuild the cache.

You'll see dilettantes all over the web parrot negativity at these SSDs when they didn't take time to inspect or understand anything beyond the title of the video, "Erhmagerd, SSD technology is getting worse!" One of the most aggravating examples for me have been users who smear DRAM-less drives while insisting they have terrible endurance when, from practical point of view, those endurance ratings on the drives they slander are beyond a 3-year warranty window if they were writing some 36GB of information every day, for example. That's a fresh game installation every day for three years. These drives also have cache that is rebuilt in between the short, temporary game loads.

Nobody has benefited more than Samsung. They've commanded stupid premiums by virtue of the fact thousands of customers are paying up to buy their drives when these are the users who need those drives. Long, long gone are the days when the Samsung 850 EVO and Samsung 860 EVO were winning bang-for-your-buck value metrics. Nice while it lasted, but frankly, today's NVMe-class SSD prices are much nicer, so I'm happy to make that trade.
Soon, we're going to be asking about smartphones...

th
No kidding. Heck, we're already there. The Apple A12X Bionic chip in the latest iPad Pros is scoring 49.5fps on the GFX Aztec High Tier Offscreen Benchmark. Meanwhile, the Tegra X1 in the NVIDIA Shield (the same chip that runs the Nintendo Switch) is scoring 6.1fps. It's a massacre. Even in their older benchmarks the Apple chip is nearly 4x as fast. In 3DMark's top benchmark for mobile it scores 13,224 while the NVIDIA Shield usually notches just above 4,000:

95164.png

96170.png

I have high hopes for the Apple Arcade. I truly hope it revolutionizes mobile gaming in a good way, and this sets a new benchmark that Google is forced to struggle to meet.

Obviously these things are powerful enough, now, and with a focus on gaming, it's undeniable what a value that phones like the Xiaomi phones offer in markets where they are available for those focused on gaming performance. It's just a matter now of bridging the gap between inputs because touchscreen is so limited. Once moms realize they don't have to buy an Xbox or Playstation, but can just pick up a $40 Apple controller at Wal-Mart, and tell their kid, "Plug your iPhone/iPad into the TV", the only significant advantage the console makers will have is the exclusive libraries they can afford to purchase & wall off. Nintendo is fine because they make all their own stuff. Microsoft is the most vulnerable, but Sony is the most threatened.

Once you max out the SLC cache, they will start to slow down. 512gb is 76gb, 1tb is 140gb and the 2tb is 280gb. I'm willing to make that sacrifice when they're the same price as a sata based drive.
I use the 512gb and 2tb versions and I have no complaints.
The 2tb version is $185 on Amazon.

anyone have long-term experience with redragon keyboards/mice? curious if these are actually decent/halfway durable.

https://computers.woot.com/plus/redragon-gaming-peripherals?ref=w_gh_cp_4_wp_8

been hearing about them for a while and they're always priced 'too good to be true, so it's probably shit.' but they're now old enough to have a lot of reviews... that are much better than expected.

edit: to be clear, i had already searched and saw some posts here about them... i'm curious if they held up to time.

@jefferz @Quipling

anyone have long-term experience with redragon keyboards/mice? curious if these are actually decent/halfway durable.

been hearing about them for a while and they're always priced 'too good to be true, so it's probably shit.' but they're now old enough to have a lot of reviews... that are much better than expected.

edit: to be clear, i had already searched and saw some posts here about them... i'm curious if they held up to time.

@jefferz @Quipling

I had one for about 6 months, it was the lightest mouse I've ever owned (which was why I hated it) functionally it was fine but I've never liked light mice, I prefer them with a little bit of weight. Construction was solid and I had no other complaints, but I can't comment on how long the skates will last on the bottom (probably longer than Razer though).

@jefferz @Quipling

I've never owned a Redragon keyboard but I know a couple people that own them. iirc they use Outemu (sp?) switches. They're a cherry knock off, but they're a higher quality knockoff.
Personally I'd spend $20 more and go with something like the Logitech K840 or Corsair K63. Royal Kludge has a cheap 60% that gets decent reviews as well.

I've never owned a Redragon keyboard but I know a couple people that own them. iirc they use Outemu (sp?) switches. They're a cherry knock off, but they're a higher quality knockoff.
Personally I'd spend $20 more and go with something like the Logitech K840 or Corsair K63. Royal Kludge has a cheap 60% that gets decent reviews as well.

in another thread, you said you were using a redragon mouse. i was curious how it held up.

Last edited:
in another thread, you said you were using a redragon mouse. i was curious how it held up.
I didn't use it long enough to provide any feedback, I couldn't get use to the shape. I'm using a Logitech G900 now and I'm happy.

Not sure if this should be here @MadDildo

But most of you would probably be familiar with Teach Of Tomorrow, he's been dealing with health issues over the years, particularly diabetes.

Looks like his health is back on track and he's doing a lot better, good to see that he's doing better. I remember him making a video saying he was afraid he wasn't going to make it past the next 5 years.

Steve chimed in on the UserBenchmark controversy. TLDW: "It's garbage, it's always been garbage"

Yeah, Steve is wrong, sometimes, and he's definitely wrong about UB.

Not happy about the Effective Speed equation shift, and that smells like someone got handed a fat stack of cash by Intel, but UserBenchmark has been the single most useful benchmark reference website to distill component performance to their essence that has ever been created. Many tried, all failed. It takes about 100,000 words out of explaining to novices what processors (or drives) are the most powerful for their aims. If that isn't true I'd love to hear someone explain why the historic Effective Speed score has been a ladder effectively mirroring identically which processors average the best performance across the gamut of games-- including resolutions-- when summarized in the aggregate. You can observe the same effect in hierarchies created for gaming processors like those Tom's Hardware has maintained. This hierarchy is mostly the exact same for general usage (something hardcore reviewers rarely take the time to investigate at all).

Guys like Steve love precision, which is why I admire him, but he's preaching to a choir of viewers who frankly don't need UserBenchmark because they'll spend dozens of hours of free time looking over benchmarks for each specific processor, and reading reviews about the specific hardware. The parsed figures are still there. If we take this attitude why look at any benchmark? Nobody buys a CPU to run Cinebench or 3DMark but the overclocking geeks that Steve himself idolizes. Okay, cool, nothing is as useful as the specific, so there's nothing more useful than finding a YouTube video with a guy running the exact games you play with your exact CPU and your exact GPU and your exact RAM and your exact hard drive...if you can find it. Good luck with that.

For everyone else it's merely a tool, and it's a tremendous tool.

*Edit*
Having said all that, I will not be linking or recommending UB moving forward until they fix this. This controversy had escaped my attention for the past two weeks, but I went to check their methodology to see how they justified it. It literally argues that the Ryzen 3000 series improved in average placement (of course this is only because their single core scores eclipse many of the older, higher-core Intel editing CPUs). Pretty despicable. I won't be linking them, referencing them, or recommending them until this is fixed. I sent them feedback politely informing them of this decision.

Last edited:
Anyone have recommendations on a decent but not super pricey gaming monitor?

Thinking about getting a desk set up to run like my PC games and Xbox through the gaming monitor so I'm not spread eagle on my bed like a slug while playing games.

ADDITIONALLY... any suggestions on a decent gaming desk type thing? Was looking at this but have no clue about where to start:
Z-Line Designs ZLD0001-2LDU Series 1.2 Performance L Desk, Grey
61zVzn48%2BBL._SL1500_.jpg

EDIT:
Fucking Amazon links.

https://www.bhg.com/shop/z-line-des...k-grey-peeec718046c896ce45c64bf6ff76c1cd.html

https://eurekaergonomic.com/r1-s-ga...roller-stand-cup-holder-headphone-hook-black/

Open to suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:

@jefferz @Quipling

I have one of their keyboards. I found it off a site that listed great budget mechanical keyboards. Me, my cousin, and my nephew got the same models. Mine has been great, same for my nephew. My cousin had issues with his W key not working anymore but somehow he got it working again and it's been great ever since then.

Yeah, Steve is wrong, sometimes, and he's definitely wrong about UB.

Not happy about the Effective Speed equation shift, and that smells like someone got handed a fat stack of cash by Intel, but UserBenchmark has been the single most useful benchmark reference website to distill component performance to their essence that has ever been created. Many tried, all failed. It takes about 100,000 words out of explaining to novices what processors (or drives) are the most powerful for their aims. If that isn't true I'd love to hear someone explain why the historic Effective Speed score has been a ladder effectively mirroring identically which processors average the best performance across the gamut of games-- including resolutions-- when summarized in the aggregate. You can observe the same effect in hierarchies created for gaming processors like those Tom's Hardware has maintained. This hierarchy is mostly the exact same for general usage (something hardcore reviewers rarely take the time to investigate at all).

Guys like Steve love precision, which is why I admire him, but he's preaching to a choir of viewers who frankly don't need UserBenchmark because they'll spend dozens of hours of free time looking over benchmarks for each specific processor, and reading reviews about the specific hardware. The parsed figures are still there. If we take this attitude why look at any benchmark? Nobody buys a CPU to run Cinebench or 3DMark but the overclocking geeks that Steve himself idolizes. Okay, cool, nothing is as useful as the specific, so there's nothing more useful than finding a YouTube video with a guy running the exact games you play with your exact CPU and your exact GPU and your exact RAM and your exact hard drive...if you can find it. Good luck with that.

For everyone else it's merely a tool, and it's a tremendous tool.

*Edit*
Having said all that, I will not be linking or recommending UB moving forward until they fix this. This controversy had escaped my attention for the past two weeks, but I went to check their methodology to see how they justified it. It literally argues that the Ryzen 3000 series improved in average placement (of course this is only because their single core scores eclipse many of the older, higher-core Intel editing CPUs). Pretty despicable. I won't be linking them, referencing them, or recommending them until this is fixed. I sent them feedback politely informing them of this decision.

I'll take Steve's word over yours. No offense.

Anyone have recommendations on a decent but not super pricey gaming monitor?

Thinking about getting a desk set up to run like my PC games and Xbox through the gaming monitor so I'm not spread eagle on my bed like a slug while playing games.

ADDITIONALLY... any suggestions on a decent gaming desk type thing? Was looking at this but have no clue about where to start:
Z-Line Designs ZLD0001-2LDU Series 1.2 Performance L Desk, Grey
61zVzn48%2BBL._SL1500_.jpg

EDIT:
Fucking Amazon links.

https://www.bhg.com/shop/z-line-des...k-grey-peeec718046c896ce45c64bf6ff76c1cd.html

https://eurekaergonomic.com/r1-s-ga...roller-stand-cup-holder-headphone-hook-black/

Open to suggestions

I made a solid wood kitchen counter top desk and I'm really happy with it. It will be the last desk I need for the rest of my life. A lot of youtubers like Gamersnexus, Paul, Kyle, Jay, and many many more do the same thing.

Ikea chopping block with legs.
YXvY4u5.jpg

Or you can use the Ikea Alex cabinets instead of legs and a Saljan counter top
8oKrwAK.jpg

Office%2B-%2BIKEA%2BHack%2BDesk-764978.jpg

I made a solid wood kitchen counter top desk and I'm really happy with it. It will be the last desk I need for the rest of my life. A lot of youtubers like Gamersnexus, Paul, Kyle, Jay, and many many more do the same thing.

Ikea chopping block with legs.
YXvY4u5.jpg

Or you can use the Ikea Alex cabinets instead of legs and a Saljan counter top
8oKrwAK.jpg

Office%2B-%2BIKEA%2BHack%2BDesk-764978.jpg

There’s a part of me that would love to do that but I don’t have the necessary tools I think

All you need is a screwdriver to attach the legs to the desk.
I'll look into it some more but the one other thing I should have mentioned... the house I'm in has an 18 month lease and given the living situation chances are I will be leaving once the lease is over. So I need something that's either easy to break down and move or just move as is when it's still intact.