Elections Gavin Newsom: “Mandatory water restrictions may be coming to California“

Have they raised the price of water among other things? I understand they're not even recycling most of their water. They've had quite a few options on top of rationing.

Why would I include the cost of educating a child in a thread about water?

There is a finite supply of resources, and there's also intelligent and effective ways of addressing and solving problems.
I'm pretty sure that I read that something like 80% of California's water usage is agriculture. So wouldn't it make a lot more sense to put a magnifying glass on that?
If you care about our finite resources then it would make the most sense to attack the largest problem---not the thing that's taking up .8% of the problem.

Just post the number, I'm not sure why no liberal will do it.

Oh yeah, it's because it's astounding. That's why.

California is run by idiots...

Of the 2014 voter-approved water bond, $2.7 billion for new water storage projects still unused
https://californiaglobe.com/section...eaten-hydro-power-agriculture-drinking-water/
In 2014, California voters approved $7.12 billion in bonds for state water supply infrastructure projects. Of that, $2.7 billion was designated for water storage projects. But nearly 8 years later, there are no new dams or reservoirs, or other water storage projects to collect and store California’s winter runoff. And California is in yet another drought.

As California Rep. Tom McClintock has said for years, “Droughts are naturally occurring, water shortages are man-made.” He also has warned for many years, “We live in one of the most water-rich regions of the country – yet we have not built a major reservoir in this state since 1979. Meanwhile, the population has nearly doubled. The sad, simple fact is that we will NEVER solve our water problems until we start building new dams once again.”

Sen. Nielsen, who is also a farmer and rancher, on Friday denounced the shutdown of the Hyatt Power Plant at Oroville Dam. And California’s other reservoirs are also dangerously draining.

“Governor Newsom and the Democrats running this state should be ashamed,” Nielsen said. “Rather than planning for the future, they kowtowed to environmental special interest groups and stalled the construction of Sites Reservoir.”

Only two years ago, every reservoir in the state was brimming with enough water to last a minimum of five dry years without another drop of rain. Shasta and Oroville reservoirs/dams held enough water to meet the needs of 80 million people for a year.

Doesn't matter that the projects were voter approved. Activists have stopped progress now for over 6 years. Stop pandering to this minority of assholes...

b4c709af9281553903db31fc2d976144.jpg

Yes, Cali... Keep voting for these spineless Democrat dipshits who no have solutions for anything... just excuses.

The water and power shortages are caused by the negligence of these clowns

I know right? Certainly it has nothing to do with historic droughts.

Sherdog nerds have the biggest hard on for Cali.

imagine if they spent this much time taking about the real net Drains that are the southern red states.

Its amazing how people don't get tired of blaming the left or right. I'm exhausted just reading it.

More Desalination plants?

Yes I know desalination is energy intensive. California was building one that was supposed to go online in 2015.

What about a massive solar farm to power desalination , since Ca has a lot of desert area and lots of sun? Largest solar farm is in Ca, it provides 579 megawatts of energy

https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-05-15/desalination-expensive-energy-hog-improvements-are-way
https://www.energyconceptsfresno.com/blog/2019/june/how-much-energy-do-solar-farms-produce-/

It was both humorous and shitty a few years ago with the rationing etc. Local media, including a newscaster named Julie Haener, would harangue us day and night
about the importance of cutting back on water use. Someone was able to find out her water usage and it was an obscene 5,000 gallons a day for her landscaping!
There was a tech guy living in Danville whose usage was 10,000 gallons a day, but we should shut off the water while we're brushing out teeth. smh

the fuck outta here.

Yeah, because Climate change isn't going anywhere and is directly tied to droughts and other conditions that will fuck up water supplies in the future. We've seen this in other parts of the world already.

The typical 'derp derp lol Ok, Greta' response doesn't change the facts.

It is not "solely" on government mismanagement. That's always part of it. But there are multiple factors.
I'm not ra ra on climate change but your absoloutly right . It's not 1 singular mismanagement and it's a variety of things and unfortunately 1 of them is places on earth go through droughts and become inhabital to an extent . It's just reality.

Yeah, because Climate change isn't going anywhere and is directly tied to droughts and other conditions that will fuck up water supplies in the future. We've seen this in other parts of the world already.

The typical 'derp derp lol Ok, Greta' response doesn't change the facts.

It is not "solely" on government mismanagement. That's always part of it. But there are multiple factors.

This is a legitimate question, and forgive me if I'm being ignorant - I live in the middle of the country. If this water shortage isn't entirely the fault of mismanagement, then why don't other states have water shortages? You would expect to see multiple states with water shortages if global warming was a main cause, no?

Or am I missing something?

Yes, @Farmer Br0wn is being completely disingenuous and just parroting incorrect right wing talking points.

For one, the major rivers in southern California do not even empty directly into the Pacific Ocean, but into the San Francisco Bay-Delta Estuary... which is the main source of water for hundreds of thousands and nearly the entire San Joaquin County farming industry. Additionally, it is the most productive estuary in the state in regards to both commercial and recreational fishing. Taking radical steps to stop the flow of fresh water into the estuary would just ruin the fishing industry. It's not about just "protecting the migratory patterns of fish", but literally the entire fishing and farming industry in the area.

It also ignores the vital function of a Delta, which is keeping salt water from seeping into inland fresh water, ruining it for both drinking and irrigation.

Yep. It blows my mind how laughably oversimplified their arguments are. "This is ALL because of one finger length fish!1!1!". Completely ignoring all of the other reasons why actually having rivers flowing with water is important economically.

This is a legitimate question, and forgive me if I'm being ignorant - I live in the middle of the country. If this water shortage isn't entirely the fault of mismanagement, then why don't other states have water shortages? You would expect to see multiple states with water shortages if global warming was a main cause, no?

Or am I missing something?

Some states have more water and use less of it annually.

California has the most productive agriculture sector in the entire country, but the irrigation is very water intensive due to the climate in most of the state being so arid.

Yep. It blows my mind how laughably oversimplified their arguments are. "This is ALL because of one finger length fish!1!1!". Completely ignoring all of the other reasons why actually having rivers flowing with water is important economically.

The arguments only make any sense if you're stupid or you expect the people you're making them to are stupid.

It's pretty basic grade school ecology to understand that deltas are kind of important. Civilizations for thousands of years have sprung up around deltas and similar types of floodplains for good reason. It's some of the most fertile areas on earth.

I said on this very forum years ago, California has to start capturing all the fresh water that they let just run out into the ocean, or face dire consequences.

Environmentalists on this forum who live in California flatly refused to even consider such a notion because it may interrupt the yearly patterns of migratory fish.

Caring more about a fishes comings and goings over the potential of a man, woman, or child going thirsty is the height of inhumanity.
In your opinion, what is the current situation looking like california. How do you see the state’s fate going?

Hmm, I wonder if there would have been "enough water" if you took 2 million illegals out of the equation?

I'm sure a thought like foreigners using up resources is too complex or "politically incorrect" for Newsome to ponder.
The illegals aren't the ones abusing water usage. That's on us: legal American citizens. We're rapacious wasters.

Additionally, agriculture consumes more than private citizens. Water is big business.

The illegals aren't the ones abusing water usage. That's on us: legal American citizens. We're rapacious wasters.

Additionally, agriculture consumes more than private citizens. Water is big business.

I'm not saying that they are the crux of the problem, but over 2 million people flushing toilets, taking baths and showers, boiling water, getting a glass to drink, washing a car, doing laundry, etc adds up.

What is there usage? If you can't tell me that then you can't speak on how much they impact the resource that we're talking about or how much better off it may be without their usage.

It seems like non-PC thoughts like considering how illegals impact natural resources or other things like crime, pollution, education, housing or such gets brushed off because it's not "nice" to talk about even if it absolutely needs to be discussed.

i did and had my mom do the same. i dont think it will matter and the election will be rigged because of the mail in ballot scheme

Exactly, once they open and read our votes, those will be discarded and replaced with a “lost replacement”.

Back