General MMA discussion and future lines - July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is Nick Diaz cheating now because he underwent a procedure to reduce visible damage because he cuts easy?

What if other fighters undertake surgery to reduce visible damage, is it cheating?

So is Nick Diaz cheating now because he underwent a procedure to reduce visible damage because he cuts easy?

What if other fighters undertake surgery to reduce visible damage, is it cheating?
Waiting for it to appear on the usada list

Cerrone is so much better than Saffedine. I know you are also talking stylistically, but at some point you just have to look at overall skills and realize one guy is on another level.

Cerrone's switch knees are a huge weapon, as he throws them accurately and repeatedly when guys try to crowd him. It's what Jim Miller tried to do. It's what Miles Jury tried (for a little while anyway). It's what Eddie Alvarez tried to do (and to be fair had some success in rd 1 but then got taken apart in rds 2 and 3).

Cerrone's muy thai is very good and again he's only ever lost to elite guys in the past few years despite being the most active fighter on the roster. If Story tries to take Cerrone down he may be able to, but then what? That's an extremely dangerous game to play with Cowboy. His MMA guard isn't just good, it's elite. Among the best in the sport. He's durable, technical, and aggressive. He understands how to set up subs (he doesn't sub hunt when they aren't there). He can strike effectively off his back. I will flat out say it: Story taking Cerrone down and being in Cerrone's guard is advantage Cerrone. That's pretty rare given MMA rules, but in this case I think it's true. Story is a solid top position guy but nothing special with what he can do once there. While Cerrone is special off his back.

And if Story is constantly trying to crowd Cerrone there's a chance Cowboy uses his improved offensive wrestling and puts Story on his back. Not saying that WILL happen (Story is obviously a very good wrestler) but it could. And if it does, the fight is very likely over. I don't know if Story can survive with Cerrone on top of him.

I'm not saying there's no way Story can win. Nothing is a given in MMA and he's a good fighter. There's a path to victory but it's EXTREMELY narrow imo. Crowding Cerrone for 3 rounds and making it a dirty boxing type fight is basically his one shot imo. If he takes Cerrone down I think he gets subbed or swept and finished. If he stays on the outside he gets outstruck and possibly head kicked and finished. It's just not easy to clinch and dirty box a top level fighter for 15 minutes straight. I don't think Story will be able to do it.

I just don't think Cerrone is anywhere near as good as you do. I think Saffedine is a better striker than him - he's a better boxer, he sets up his kicks much better (except on the counter), his footwork is a lot better and he's harder to trap against the cage. Miller, Jury, and Alvarez are not pressure fighters. I also don`t think Cerrone`s wrestling is a threat at all to Story (who defended 50% of Gastelum's takedowns and more than 50% of Hendricks'). I don't think Cerrone will be able to get anything significant off his back if he gets taken down. I don't expect Story to be able to control him on the mat for extended periods of time, but I think he'll get a few takedowns and some GnP that will help him steal rounds.

I just don't think Cerrone is anywhere near as good as you do. I think Saffedine is a better striker than him - he's a better boxer, he sets up his kicks much better (except on the counter), his footwork is a lot better and he's harder to trap against the cage. Miller, Jury, and Alvarez are not pressure fighters. I also don`t think Cerrone`s wrestling is a threat at all to Story (who defended 50% of Gastelum's takedowns and more than 50% of Hendricks'). I don't think Cerrone will be able to get anything significant off his back if he gets taken down. I don't expect Story to be able to control him on the mat for extended periods of time, but I think he'll get a few takedowns and some GnP that will help him steal rounds.

Yeah we obviously view Cowboy differently. Which is fine, part of what makes these boards tick imo.

I'm trying to remember Cote being out struck by anyone aside from Wonderboy (who's maybe the best striker in the sport) over the last 5-6 years and I can't. Until Cerrone completely took him apart. I think he'll be fine striking with Story.

I am surprised how criminally underrated Cerrone's ground game continues to be. I hope Story does take him down, I think that's Cerrone's world.

Cowboy does such a great job at staying at range, and Story has zero head movement. I definitely don't think Tarec is a better striker than Cowboy, and on top of that I think hes MUCH more timid and one dimensional in application. If you take Tarec out of his comfort zone he struggles, but Cowboy does a great job adapting to all phases of the game and styles. Definitely like Cowboy in this fight but could be a hell of a scrap.

http://www.mmaoddsbreaker.com/news/legacy-fc-58-betting-odds/

MAIN CARD (AXS TV, 10pm ET)

Robert Drysdale -505
Ryan Spann +335

Josh Quayhagen -180
Rey Trujillo +140

Mackenzie Dern -2000
Kenia Rosas +1000

-------

wow.

considering spann, maybe. huge athletic dude. sure, he prolly gets tapped, but considering it.

jesus -2000 dern. again, prolly gets the tap, right? but.... geeeeeeeeez these long odds tonight...

Any info on Dern's opponent? -2000 seems waaaayyyy steep for someone making their debut

I'm psyched to see Mackenzie fight and hope she wins, but we have no idea how she takes a punch. It might be worth a small bet on her opponent

Belal Muhammed vs Augusto Montano Sept 17

Thought for sure Montano would be cut after the worst fight ever vs Pendred. Kind of surprised Belal is back two months after getting dropped so many times too.

Also Palhares vs Materla signed for KSW October 1. Interesting fight

Belal Muhammed vs Augusto Montano Sept 17

Thought for sure Montano would be cut after the worst fight ever vs Pendred. Kind of surprised Belal is back two months after getting dropped so many times too.

Also Palhares vs Materla signed for KSW October 1. Interesting fight

"Remember the name" has a solid chin and that was after cutting weight after he had completed Ramadan. Dude is a warrior and im taking him in this match up. Please let him be a slight dog or favorite.

"Remember the name" has a solid chin and that was after cutting weight after he had completed Ramadan. Dude is a warrior and im taking him in this match up. Please let him be a slight dog or favorite.
Dude, he's gonna be like -250 lol

I'm psyched to see Mackenzie fight and hope she wins, but we have no idea how she takes a punch. It might be worth a small bet on her opponent

I don't see this fight not ending in the first or second by TKO or most likely sub.

0.3u spann +335
0.1u dern's opponent +1000

Spann is not a scrub. 6'5 athletic 205'er. Drysdale like 2 years off since testing positive. Kinda wish I did not on spann.

No doubt they could both lose by sub. But those are my plays.

F it, adding to spann.

He Prolly gets tapped early, but if he survives, i think he can get Drysdale. Dude has never even seen rd 2 in mma

Regarding Mackenzie I watched a bit of her grappling a year ago or so since she has been up against the 60+ kg chicks a lot and I did research for my friend who went to ADCC in the higher weight class. She really seemed to be mostly a guard puller and I made a note that I'm not sure how that translates to MMA. That said that was against bigger opponents so maybe she's less of that against normal sized non-gorillas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back