General MMA Discussion & Future Lines- 2020

As someone who regularly goes to Bellator's San Jose shows, and couldn't believe how awesome the card for the May 9th event was, this is a real bummer.

Least important fight on the radar in terms of what's happening after lockdown potentially ends
Yeah those odds were terrible. I think the stir craze has gotten me, I really wanted to see "The Predator" Ngannou and "Bigi Boy" Rozenstruik the other day now I'm placing small bets on if fights happen :/

The article states- "To make matters worse, the UFC classifies its fighters as independent contractors, not employees, which means that fighters are unable to reap the benefits and protections afforded to employees under U.S. law. This leaves fighters in desperate situations when crisis strikes, such as the COVID-19 pandemic. Not only are the fighters unable to collect a paycheque, they are also unable to collect unemployment benefits because of their status as independent contractors. That is how exploitative the UFC’s contract are, and the only way to alleviate the promotion’s stranglehold is for fighters to collectively bargain for their rights."

Wow. I could see some potential lawsuits here. Of course the UFC would argue that the fighters could go out and get regular 9 to 5 jobs right now.

This isn't new news. They've been independent contractors since the beginning...

It's shit obviously but if the fighters won't unionize after years of chances to do so, I've given up caring about their financial situation...

Karim also does nothing but complain about the sport he covers. If he hates it so much, surely go cover something else

This isn't new news. They've been independent contractors since the beginning...

It's shit obviously but if the fighters won't unionize after years of chances to do so, I've given up caring about their financial situation...

Karim also does nothing but complain about the sport he covers. If he hates it so much, surely go cover something else
There's a place for journalism that is critical and not just fanboying it up like almost every other person and outlet that covers it.

There's a place for journalism that is critical and not just fanboying it up like almost every other person and outlet that covers it.
Agreed, MMAJunkie and Ariel aren't journalists, they're PR machines for the UFC. Luke Thomas and Karim seem to actively despise the sport and everyone in it though so why not go do something you actually enjoy...

Agreed, MMAJunkie and Ariel aren't journalists, they're PR machines for the UFC. Luke Thomas and Karim seem to actively despise the sport and everyone in it though so why not go do something you actually enjoy...
Frankly, I think both your positions are way too exaggerated, a problem with many people online speaking in wild hyperbole. Ariel and MMAJunkie aren't UFC PR machines, the UFC actually has a PR department for that. But they love the sport and do tread lightly around controversial issues to maintain their access to executives, managers and fighters. Luke and Karim don't hate the sport either- they like it, but they have their outlets and followings and don't care about having a lot of access to personalities and therefore feel more comfortable delving into controversies or criticism of the sport and the people in it. I think there's a place for both.

Unhinged Dana desperately needs some good press right now:

Because both Luke Thomas and Karim Zidan (and anyone else who writes for the Pedo Website) are Social Justice Warriors first and foremost.

They care about promoting the cause of Social Justice infinitely more than they do anything MMA-related, which is why they have such contempt for MMA and its fans.

It's just another interest/area to destroy and convert for the almighty cause and narrative.

Something I didn't know caught my ear in this funny video. This is the third April cancelation for the Ferguson vs Nurmagomedov fight.
Understandable here but odd none the less. Almost seems predictable, like something you could bet on.

Strange to think of that money just hanging out in anyone's hands right now. Weird those lines for 249 are still up even with the travel restrictions. Best of luck fellows.

Just when you thought Bryce Mitchell had the stupidest COVID-19 conspiracy theory with him blaming "the government" for spreading the virus, Nikita Krylov thinks it gets transmitted through the television!

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/4/...v-large-extent-coronavirus-passed-tv-mma-news
I think he means that the media is hyping this virus up with scare tactics and then people convince themselves that they have the disease which might make themselves more likely to get it. In that way the television is "transmitting" the virus.

I think he means that the media is hyping this virus up with scare tactics and then people convince themselves that they have the disease which might make themselves more likely to get it. In that way the television is "transmitting" the virus.
Of course we all know that thinking about a specific virus causes you to get infected by it?

I wonder if Krylov meant something along the lines of paranoia caused by fear mongering and misinformation in the media?

I'm not sure he thinks that deeply.
You're probably right my thinking was it was more him saying the medias inconsistency could do more harm than good. Like if Tylenol was a new miracle cure with no warning label. Telling people it gets rid of headaches is fine.
Not mentioning too many may result in permanent damage or death just makes a way worse problem.

I'm probably over thinking maybe he assumes its like some bizarro placebo effect. In that case I have a really good feeling the government wants to spend me a million dollar stimulus check. Believe, conceive, achieve?

Last edited:
Back