General MMA Discussion & Future Lines - January, 2019

Yeah against someone like Poirier just threatening or hitting a couple of even brief takedowns could of benefitted him hugely. If he just used it as a way of win rounds while simultaneously accumulating damage it would be much smarter as he gives up rounds way too much.

Really not sure on predicting Gaethje-Barboza. In theory Gaethje's pressure and power should crumble Edson but he's way too hittable so Edson could wipe him out. Also I can see Gaethje trying to go leg kick for leg kick like Hooker tried and just getting smashed.
This is one of many reasons that I am staying away from betting on this match. Will thoroughly enjoy watching though.

After watching the Gaethje/Alvarez fight, unless Gaethje has improved or at least tries a few take downs, he is going to get slaughtered. He's stubborn and has a chin so it shouldn't be R1 but I like R3-R4 TKO Barboza here. He throws too much volume with too much power and a leg kick to the face in R3 is how I see it going.

Gaethje relies a ton on keeping his hands up when entering to block winging punches at the head. He'll excel against most trying to headhunt back with him. If you mix in the body and legs, you can eat him up. He's got the pressure thing going for him against Barboza, but I see him lit up in the process. He can't rely on his leg kicks as well which have been a big back up for him. I think this will be a hell of a fight, but honestly, I think Barboza eats up his body and gets around his defense as well. I could definitely see a knee up the middle too. Just so many more weapons for Barboza to use in striking.

might be kind of silly to put this here, but i see quite a lot of value in Logan Paul x 1.9 vs Rsi. Logan Paul is the much better boxer and he is got a reach and size advantage. whereas RSI can only wing wild punches. The first one ended in a draw but that was more to set up this rematch I suppose.

N'Gannou was at an insane +245 earlier today, which I grabbed a little more of to add to my 3 units at +210. Keep your eyes peeled on this line folks, it's a real gift.

Anyone got a decent argument of Ricky Simon over Rani Yahya? He beat Montel Jackson who fought terribly, or rather just didn't really fight, and won his debut via a controversial TKO/Sub that potentially shouldn't of counted in a fight he was soundly losing till the end. Also was takendown multiple times by both guys.

Yahya on the other hand is arguably the best pure grappler in the division and since 2014 has only lost a competitive fight to Joe Soto who is a very legit grappler in his own right and has taken every opponent down in that time period except Luke Sanders who he heelhooked in 90 seconds. Overall I can't really see why he shouldn't takedown Simon enough to win and catch a submission somewhere.

might be kind of silly to put this here, but i see quite a lot of value in Logan Paul x 1.9 vs Rsi. Logan Paul is the much better boxer and he is got a reach and size advantage. whereas RSI can only wing wild punches. The first one ended in a draw but that was more to set up this rematch I suppose.
Idk if it would be better in the boxing thread but your not wrong on those kinds of fights when you get each sides clueless fans dumping cash on them. Agree on your point too, even watching KSI win he looks awful and Paul can actually box reasonably. I remember Paul gassed last fight but was it a controversial ending or justified? For memory if he just managed his energy remotely well he'd win a pretty easy decision.

Anyone got a decent argument of Ricky Simon over Rani Yahya? He beat Montel Jackson who fought terribly, or rather just didn't really fight, and won his debut via a controversial TKO/Sub that potentially shouldn't of counted in a fight he was soundly losing till the end. Also was takendown multiple times by both guys.

Yahya on the other hand is arguably the best pure grappler in the division and since 2014 has only lost a competitive fight to Joe Soto who is a very legit grappler in his own right and has taken every opponent down in that time period except Luke Sanders who he heelhooked in 90 seconds. Overall I can't really see why he shouldn't takedown Simon enough to win and catch a submission somewhere.
Simon is a midlevel overachiever and a hard worker, which is a bit scary combination against Yahya, who’s cardio is not proven even if he says he’s adjusted that part of his game. Simon’s only loss is against Anderson dos Santos by rnc. I don’t know if he’s faced another bjj expert since or before. His scrambles seem to work well agains a powerful wrestler like Dvalishvili, but maybe Yahya could capitalize much better if he got Simon’s back.

About Joe Soto loss: My notes read that it seemed like Yahya tried to fast track himself towards title contention by getting a flashy finish over Soto, got hit by nasty headbutt in second and got dominated for the rest of the fight partly because all the blood was making things slippery and partly because he gassed throwing lots of kicks, which he was not used to.

Simon is a midlevel overachiever and a hard worker, which is a bit scary combination against Yahya, who’s cardio is not proven even if he says he’s adjusted that part of his game. Simon’s only loss is against Anderson dos Santos by rnc. I don’t know if he’s faced another bjj expert since or before. His scrambles seem to work well agains a powerful wrestler like Dvalishvili, but maybe Yahya could capitalize much better if he got Simon’s back.

About Joe Soto loss: My notes read that it seemed like Yahya tried to fast track himself towards title contention by getting a flashy finish over Soto, got hit by nasty headbutt in second and got dominated for the rest of the fight partly because all the blood was making things slippery and partly because he gassed throwing lots of kicks, which he was not used to.
Nice to note that on the Soto fight and I think it's significant Simons only loss being a submission. I was really impressed last fight with Yahya finding that heel hook and thought that he would struggle with Sanders but instead made it look easy and really looked like a high level guy. On the other hand I find Simon entertaining but really not that good and while he has the decent scrambles he'll be on a lot of danger with them against a guy like Yahya.

Stylistically it favours Yahya heavily and his record his very impressive whereas Simon is coming off 2 pretty uninspiring wins and could get subbed at any moment. According to his UFC profile Simon is only a blue belt too which is a gigantic confidence boost in Yahya, they're polar opposites in terms of grappling credentials. Simon could win a grinding messy fight but I reckon Yahya probably makes this look relatively easy then hopefully gets a top 10 guy already, 2u on his ML at +125.

Nice to note that on the Soto fight and I think it's significant Simons only loss being a submission. I was really impressed last fight with Yahya finding that heel hook and thought that he would struggle with Sanders but instead made it look easy and really looked like a high level guy. On the other hand I find Simon entertaining but really not that good and while he has the decent scrambles he'll be on a lot of danger with them against a guy like Yahya.

Stylistically it favours Yahya heavily and his record his very impressive whereas Simon is coming off 2 pretty uninspiring wins and could get subbed at any moment. According to his UFC profile Simon is only a blue belt too which is a gigantic confidence boost in Yahya, they're polar opposites in terms of grappling credentials. Simon could win a grinding messy fight but I reckon Yahya probably makes this look relatively easy then hopefully gets a top 10 guy already, 2u on his ML at +125.
Saunders is an underachiever, but that finish was dope. I have a medium sized bet in Yahya too, but I’m his fan, so I could be blind to stuff.

What do people think about Wuliji Buren’s developement? I thought he looked a bit like Leech in his last fight. His wrestling has been pretty ineffective in UFC, so maybe he’s trying to be more like a fearless action fighter from now on and is improving his stand-up. I like his odds at 2.65 vs. Martinez, who is pretty damn unproven. Is Martinez favorite because he’s been subbing some cans and because Buren has sub losses? I think Buren could maybe pressure Martinez, land few heavy strikes and score some control time + elbows against cage and even land takedowns without getting subbed. Not sure how to weigh Martinez’s loss against Soukhamthath. Sure he has grit and good cardio, but how about power? Souk is such a bull, that I can’t really say. He walked through everything Matrinez threw with ease. Martinez also kept fighting the tired Souk in clinch, so I don’t know about his iq either.

Last edited:
I think Ricky Simon's flashy 14-1 record is skewing the odds a bit on this one. I consider Yahya the superior fighter and am in on this at +115. Yahya has made me money in his last three fights, and I expect (hope!) it will continue.

I think Edson is going to punish Justin to the body and legs and caught him with a knee or something and get the KO.

I'm 4u deep on Till's ML at -200 but might cut back a bit later, just don't see any reliable path to victory for Masvidal at all and can see the lines going to shift for Till. Think he might end up going back to lightweight after this which would be a great decision imo, I reckon he'd comfortably be top 5 there.

I'm 4u deep on Till's ML at -200 but might cut back a bit later, just don't see any reliable path to victory for Masvidal at all and can see the lines going to shift for Till. Think he might end up going back to lightweight after this which would be a great decision imo, I reckon he'd comfortably be top 5 there.
Masvidal will never return to 155, especially now that he's older and bigger, he's talked about how hard it was for him to make the weight, said he was waking up with his hair falling out while cutting weight.

I wish Till would just go to 185, he kills himself in make 170, that behind the scenes video of him making weight for UFC Liverpool was disgusting. I bet Till vs Wonderboy and Woodley, I really thought he was going to beat Woodley.

Even though I don't think Masvidal is taking his career all that serious at this point, I don't like trust Till at -200 as a welterweight. Masvidal has always been a very slick boxer with good defense and it's fair to say he's a more skilled grappler than Till.

I still think Till should win but I don't wanna be in the Darren Till business again, not until he goes to 185. He's young, he's getting bigger and those cuts to 170 are already deadly, SMH

Same with James Vick, why is this 6'3" coward still fighting at 155, how you gonna be 6'3" and a 155er, too much of a wimp to fight guys his own size so instead he just abuses his body to fight smaller guys. He'd probably be a better, more durable fighter at 170 anyway. If he was fighting Felder at 170 I'd be confident in Vick, at 155 not so much

Beneil Daruish -180 against Drew dober seems serviceable to me.
If memory serves Daruish should have the ground advantage here in addition imo this is a step up in caliber for Dober.

Anybody interested in being a guest on Martian MMA this week? We would analyze and predict all of the fights on UFC on ESPN 2. Looking to record Thursday, I'm on EST, shoot me a DM if you're interested. thanks.

Beneil Daruish -180 against Drew dober seems serviceable to me.
If memory serves Daruish should have the ground advantage here in addition imo this is a step up in caliber for Dober.
Dariush seems highly underrated nowadays, been waiting days for that like to open up in the UK. He should crush Dober imo.

Hey guys. Have had a fightpass subscription since JJ-Gus (it's uploaded on there now btw) so I'm a newbie at it. I sometimes miss portions of or entire cards on Saturday nights and would like to watch them the next day via fightpass. Anyone with a little more knowledge here; will I get spoilers? Will the event be uploaded later like PPV's are or will they be available right away? Thanks in advance.

Hey guys. Have had a fightpass subscription since JJ-Gus (it's uploaded on there now btw) so I'm a newbie at it. I sometimes miss portions of or entire cards on Saturday nights and would like to watch them the next day via fightpass. Anyone with a little more knowledge here; will I get spoilers? Will the event be uploaded later like PPV's are or will they be available right away? Thanks in advance.
Depends. All fight pass prelims and exclusive events are available right away and ppvs are available to purchase but televised events can take weeks to be available on fightpass.

Back