Get rid of "Likes"

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It encourages the most superficial, banal, pointless shit like people posting pics of scantily clad chicks where it's not even warranted because they know folks will come through and hit the like button.

It also lowers the quality of posts across the board and encourages high school level cliquish behavior. People don't say how they really feel, they post to get likes. Let's turn this ship around!

Tru dat.

I've been against the "like" button since day one.

Introduce negs to bring balance to he force.
I dunno, we don't really want there to be chaos-focused posters that name themselves things like "tekcutdaw" that just go around threads downvoting everything because they can.

Tru dat.

All I wanted for Christmas this year was to see ONE post liked by Jei

I'm sure you've never pressed the button :p

It encourages the most superficial, banal, pointless shit like people posting pics of scantily clad chicks where it's not even warranted because they know folks will come through and hit the like button.

It also lowers the quality of posts across the board and encourages high school level cliquish behavior. People don't say how they really feel, they post to get likes. Let's turn this ship around!

Tru dat.

it has its ups and downs. On one hand I think it can encourage quality posting. Jokes, gifs, well constructed thread topics.

on the other hand it encourages posting of boobs, we end up with 5 posters trying to be the first on to “break” a story on the forum, people take extreme polarizing view points for the sake of “likes”.

I think if you introduce “negs” you’d find a lot of white belts would not stick around because they’d just be negged into oblivion.

Here's one option. You get "points" and for getting likes. You can then use these "points" to like other people's posts. So basically you don't get unlimited likes where you can just like every single post. It forces you to be smart about what you actually "like" as it's limited to your activity and if you get likes for making good posts.

We were fine without it in the first place. It was supposed to replace posting "lol" or "this" from my understanding.

Introduce negs to bring balance to he force.

I dunno, we don't really want there to be chaos-focused posters that name themselves things like "tekcutdaw" that just go around threads downvoting everything because they can.

They did that over at mmaforum.com years ago. You could also leave little negative messages, it got really crazy over there. People will say some pretty dark stuff.....

For that then they should get rid of belts colors based on post count.

Im fine with likes, its a good way of showing support for a post without needlessly quoting it.

I would like to see "Likes given" on our profile box under "likes Received" (fairly easy bit of coding)

As a plat, browsing while signed in doesn’t support the site as I don’t see ads, so I tend to browse a lot more while offline. When seeing a post worth liking I’ll sign in and maybe join a discussion. I think the added traffic likes can bring to the site outdo the negatives, which of course differ for each individual.

I see Amazon reviews have an option for people to mark a review as useful.

What if Sherdog had a button to mark a post as useful and if you accumulate enough of those, you gain immunity and invincibility? If you accidentally post a see thru nipple, you'd first look at the poster's "useful post" count, and "no harm, no foul" due to good track record.

IMO likes are the plague of the internet right now

people are more focused on posting gifs of any single fighter's loss the minute there's a thread about any of them. Then the other people who hate that fighter will like it. It derails every thread.

IMO likes are the plague of the internet right now

people are more focused on posting gifs of any single fighter's loss the minute there's a thread about any of them. Then the other people who hate that fighter will like it. It derails every thread.

True but as others have said, and what I didnt think about, is even you get rid of 'Likes' then people will just endlessly quote +1 or 'This ^' etc.. to show support.

True but as others have said, and what I didnt think about, is even you get rid of 'Likes' then people will just endlessly quote +1 or 'This ^' etc.. to show support.

But less people will do it, because mods can delete those posts. That way people dont bandwagon as hard if they see it later. Just by seeing that a post has 100 likes, more people are likely to like it and agree. Removing posts like "this ^" would solve that problem

Back