Ghost of Tsushima FAIL!!! (they forgot to include one of the most important aspects of sword combat)

KingGuerrilla

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can't believe they forgot to include a single Judo style throw in this game. While ghosts of Tsushima finally boils down to be an epic Masterpiece in video gaming history it certainly could have used a couple good Judo slams to round out the historical accuracy of Samurai combat and add yet another dimension to the incredible sword fight experience.

Hopefully in the next release they'll include judo style throws and allow you to pick up enemy weapons.

Beginning of the vid looks like when my kids beat each other with pool noodles.

A lock on camera would be nice too, and more preferable :D

A lock on camera would be nice too, and more preferable :D
To be honest I was aghast when I first began playing the game because the weird auto lock on system seemed like a hot mess and it has my most hated feature in gaming history...the auto correcting camera
(a camera that automatically moves behind your character whenever you move whether you like it or not) but the feature didn't kick in until a few seconds after you began moving so it was much more tolerable then previous iterations especially the godforsaken camera in sekiro.

Although I've become used to the way it plays and rather like it I still think it would be better off with a lock on system you had total command and control over just like the auto correcting camera

it's not a sin to have these features but the best thing is having a option that allows the player to turn them off and on like Uncharted 4

In my personal opinion the game would have been absolute perfection if your character moves identical to the Gears of War set up

In my opinion Gears of War absolutely perfected the camera and movement system to such a degree it was a step above anything I've ever seen only topped by a underappreciated shooter called Ghost Recon Future Soldier which was the absolute Pinnacle of character control and camera in gaming history

Grappling in sword fighting arts is something that is completely lost on the media. This is done even more poorly when it comes to Medieval armored combat.

So far Hellish Quart is the most realistic sword fighting game done to date, and they were wise enough to include grabs and shoves in the gameplay thanks to their study of original source material and use of legit practitioners for motion capturing.

Grappling in sword fighting arts is something that is completely lost on the media. This is done even more poorly when it comes to Medieval armored combat.

So far Hellish Quart is the most realistic sword fighting game done to date, and they were wise enough to include grabs and shoves in the gameplay thanks to their study of original source material and use of legit practitioners for motion capturing.
I couldn't agree more, hellish quart looks like a breath of fresh air but Falls prey to a couple of the silly tropes we see so often in video gaming like small attractive women competing with gigantic Burly men... if you're going to put a woman in a fighting game she needs to look more like a Russian Judo Champion not a gap model

I've always studied medieval blade combat and it's clear the vast majority of people die at the end of a spear and very very very few actually die in a sword on sword stand up fight rather they get knocked down and skewered at the end of a blade that's shoved between the gaps of their armor or struck a debilitating blow while they're trying to get back to their feet!

realistic non mechanized combat was so geniusly implemented in the movies Braveheart and Gladiator as both these films dispensed with the classic notion of sword fighting likely pushed upon media buy some Mincey choreographer and replaced it with a more bar room brawl type of contest where our hero spent as much time on the ground struggling to get up as he did on his feet

It's one of the most neglected aspects of non mechanized combat as knocking someone to the ground and taking advantage of their position in one of hundreds of opportune ways was literally the standard operating procedure of ancient Medieval sword combat, it's just not that cinematic compared to the bloodless swashbuckling pirate duels Disney throws at us

Back in the day I forced my friends to play Bushido Blade and it soon became a house favorite but it's arcade Graphics couldn't keep people interested that long

I think the most fun you could have was turning your energy way down and going at it using the few realistic characters from Soul Calibur as this may be the only game in history that featured fantastic grapples and throws right alongside blade Combat albeit in a childish and silly package designed to appeal to 12 year old prepubescent boys as so many games that feature incredible levels of adult violence are LOL

* give the ghost of tsushima character a couple sacrifice throws and a couple forward and backward throws that effect the Mongols around him in different ways and you've just amped up your combat by an exponential grade!!!

This could also really lend itself well to a PVP fighting system

While I'm at it Jin could use a wall jump as well especially in his ninja armor... wouldn't it be cool if his stance has affected the way he moved and jumped

My biggest problem and only Minor complaints were that the bad guys are stupid as hell and too easy to sneak on . Nobody really comes and helps much. Compared to last of us the AI is weak. There should have been some more difficult guys to duel besides kenji. The khan ended up being weak and lord shimura was too easy also.
Lethal hard mode just makes it so you die in 1 or 2 slices but so can the enemies.

My biggest problem and only Minor complaints were that the bad guys are stupid as hell and too easy to sneak on . Nobody really comes and helps much. Compared to last of us the AI is weak. There should have been some more difficult guys to duel besides kenji. The khan ended up being weak and lord shimura was too easy also.
Lethal hard mode just makes it so you die in 1 or 2 slices but so can the enemies.
I couldn't agree more, this is a common and well-deserved criticism of the game

it's so easy a chimp could clear it if they ran and reengauged and used special weapons frequently especially the phenomenally effective bow and arrow

Lethal mode goes away to correct this but I think the best strategy is to avoid all the bamboo strikes and fight without using your special weapons

You literally have to go out of your way to make the game challenging

I would have Mongols ride you down with Spears and multiple dogs that were much harder to dislodge, all these video game setups should have characters that are at rest or work and then become alerted arming themselves and getting in Hardened positions while sending out multiple guys on horseback you are highly aggressive with Spears and arrows

ghost does some of this but as you pointed out the AI characters forget about you in a jiffy and just go back to tooling around in predictable movement patterns like so many video games

way way too easy

They could also go a long way by increasing the climbing challenge

Breakaway grips aggressive Wildlife encounters like birds of prey and venomous snakes Plus the requirement to grab Ledges manually would go a long way to increase the climbing challenge

a wall jump and wall run would be AWESOME

This is the one and only aspect where sekiro actually outshines ghost of tsushima

I couldn't agree more, this is a common and well-deserved criticism of the game

it's so easy a chimp could clear it if they ran and reengauged and used special weapons frequently especially the phenomenally effective bow and arrow

Lethal mode goes away to correct this but I think the best strategy is to avoid all the bamboo strikes and fight without using your special weapons

You literally have to go out of your way to make the game challenging

I would have Mongols ride you down with Spears and multiple dogs that were much harder to dislodge, all these video game setups should have characters that are at rest or work and then become alerted arming themselves and getting in Hardened positions while sending out multiple guys on horseback you are highly aggressive with Spears and arrows

ghost does some of this but as you pointed out the AI characters forget about you in a jiffy and just go back to tooling around in predictable movement patterns like so many video games

way way too easy

They could also go a long way by increasing the climbing challenge

Breakaway grips aggressive Wildlife encounters like birds of prey and venomous snakes Plus the requirement to grab Ledges manually would go a long way to increase the climbing challenge

a wall jump and wall run would be AWESOME

This is the one and only aspect where sekiro actually outshines ghost of tsushima
Ya and as much as the shrines, meditation pools and flying yellow birds were intriguing they became stale and non rewarding .

my most fun times were the side missions with Norio. Loved that guy.

Ya and as much as the shrines, meditation pools and flying yellow birds were intriguing they became stale and non rewarding .

my most fun times were the side missions with Norio. Loved that guy.
good point...

I would prefer the game focus more on real-world Military objectives rather than interpersonal drama but I understand their motivation to take you from extreme ends of the emotional Spectrum

I couldn't agree more, hellish quart looks like a breath of fresh air but Falls prey to a couple of the silly tropes we see so often in video gaming like small attractive women competing with gigantic Burly men... if you're going to put a woman in a fighting game she needs to look more like a Russian Judo Champion not a gap model

I've always studied medieval blade combat and it's clear the vast majority of people die at the end of a spear and very very very few actually die in a sword on sword stand up fight rather they get knocked down and skewered at the end of a blade that's shoved between the gaps of their armor or struck a debilitating blow while they're trying to get back to their feet!
Honesty I don't have an issue with them using women, not that I don't disagree about it lacking some realism. I haven't even thought about that until you just now mentioned it. I can live with it since the gameplay is accurate, and their are many female HEMA practitioners so you kind of have to represent that, especially these days. As long as they don't want me to refer to any of the characters as "She/They" I'll be OK.

You do need to separate what happens in a battle versus what happens in a duel. You are 100% correct about battles, spears and pole arms are much better weapons and swords were merely a backup and last ditch resort. However, in a dueling situation which is what Hellish Quart represents this is all possible and historically accurate.

It would be cool to see something like Hellish Quart but with armored duels. The fights would have to be way more grappling oriented however. I'm still praying for the day we see half-swording techniques in a medieval movie, rather than slashes and cuts against armor which makes zero sense.

Well there is a lot that is inaccurate in that game. The Katana did not exist the. Most common sword of the era was the tachi. The katana actually came later thanks to the Mongol invasion, as they found that the tachi was not great against the Mongol armor.

Samurais were primarily mounted archers at the time, but a mounted horse archer game probably isn’t as fun to play. The honorable sword dueling we have in the game is awesome and I love it, but it’s not how a samurai of that era fought. I’m not sure if I’m the 1200s they really trained much in hand to hand fighting. That’s more representative of the Tokugawa era after the civil wars ended. Even during the Sengoku era, bows guns and polearms were their main weapons. The Sengoku era is definitely when hand to hand fighting would have developed and flourished.

It’s still a fun Samurai fantasy game. I don’t feel like they missed big on throws or anything. Maybe it would add a little something to the game I dunno.

Honesty I don't have an issue with them using women, not that I don't disagree about it lacking some realism. I haven't even thought about that until you just now mentioned it. I can live with it since the gameplay is accurate, and their are many female HEMA practitioners so you kind of have to represent that, especially these days. As long as they don't want me to refer to any of the characters as "She/They" I'll be OK.

You do need to separate what happens in a battle versus what happens in a duel. You are 100% correct about battles, spears and pole arms are much better weapons and swords were merely a backup and last ditch resort. However, in a dueling situation which is what Hellish Quart represents this is all possible and historically accurate.

It would be cool to see something like Hellish Quart but with armored duels. The fights would have to be way more grappling oriented however. I'm still praying for the day we see half-swording techniques in a medieval movie, rather than slashes and cuts against armor which makes zero sense.

Just to qualify my statement I have nothing against women in sports its just always bothered me that they were always scantily-clad attractive and small designed to appeal to young prepubescent boys, there's always been something about mixing sex and violence that disgusted me!

Bushido Blade also made this ridiculous mistake that took away from the primary thrust of its realistic portrayal of blade combat

I have to give ghosts of Tsushima credit for not sexualizing the women in the game however it's impossible for me to take inter-gender competition seriously because that shit just didn't happen.... women just can't compete against men in Combat Sports, I don't care how woke you are that's a big nope

For some weird reason only fighting games have the good sense to include throws as a tactical aspect in combat while the vast majority of Blade Combat games completely ignored this simple aspect so critical to the contest

there was a phenomenal ninja game called Tenchu Z... IMHO it was the greatest ninja game in history. Fun fact: Sekiro was initially designed as its successor but the Activision people strong-armed the developers into shoehorning in a bunch of souls nerd mechanics that turned the game into something completely different

* can you believe we never got a muaythai game???

* can you believe we never got a muaythai game???
Someone was working on a legit one about a decade ago but it disappeared. He even brought Ramon Dekkers out to San Francisco to do motion capture, which was awesome because I got to attend a seminar he put on in the Bay Area while he was out here, not long before he died. I believe they did motion capture of Sakmongkol (who also did a seminar with Jongsanan that I attended) and a few other guys. I hope someone picks up the project and that motion capture doesn't go to waste.

*EDIT, here's some video. For sure rough around the edges but was really in it's infancy of development:

watch

Someone was working on a legit one about a decade ago but it disappeared. He even brought Ramon Dekkers out to San Francisco to do motion capture, which was awesome because I got to attend a seminar he put on in the Bay Area while he was out here, not long before he died. I believe they did motion capture of Sakmongkol (who also did a seminar with Jongsanan that I attended) and a few other guys. I hope someone picks up the project and that motion capture doesn't go to waste.

*EDIT, here's some video. For sure rough around the edges but was really in it's infancy of development:

watch

Holy crap that's awesome I had no idea

what a tragic loss to the Muay Thai community, my MT coach was a good friend with RD and it was a shocking loss!

Hopefully someone picks up the pieces because I could see a really great Muay Thai game being a real hit with the International Community

* especially if they included some big slams

I think this was one of the bigger disappointments in the UFC game series as the slams were slow disjointed and didn't seem to carry the counter options they should have....

Let's face it Street Fighter and Tekken did the slam better than any other game in history

To be honest I was aghast when I first began playing the game because the weird auto lock on system seemed like a hot mess and it has my most hated feature in gaming history...the auto correcting camera
(a camera that automatically moves behind your character whenever you move whether you like it or not) but the feature didn't kick in until a few seconds after you began moving so it was much more tolerable then previous iterations especially the godforsaken camera in sekiro.

Although I've become used to the way it plays and rather like it I still think it would be better off with a lock on system you had total command and control over just like the auto correcting camera

it's not a sin to have these features but the best thing is having a option that allows the player to turn them off and on like Uncharted 4

In my personal opinion the game would have been absolute perfection if your character moves identical to the Gears of War set up

In my opinion Gears of War absolutely perfected the camera and movement system to such a degree it was a step above anything I've ever seen only topped by a underappreciated shooter called Ghost Recon Future Soldier which was the absolute Pinnacle of character control and camera in gaming history
I've stopped and started multiple times, just can't get used to the no lock on system. The auto move camera didn't help either. I was constantly losing guys on screen, to the point where it felt like I was often playing a side scroller with the fov too narrow to see enemies coming. I almost felt drunk playing

I hope a pc version can mod that in if they dont give us the option. More options are always good!

I played through that entire game without understanding the wind direction mechanic. I grew to absolutely hate the map. Lol. I think I posted it in my shit you hate in videos games and someone explained it to me. One of my bigger OOOOHHH! moments in gaming lol.

I've stopped and started multiple times, just can't get used to the no lock on system. The auto move camera didn't help either. I was constantly losing guys on screen, to the point where it felt like I was often playing a side scroller with the fov too narrow to see enemies coming. I almost felt drunk playing

I hope a pc version can mod that in if they dont give us the option. More options are always good!
I completely understand and here's a couple tricks I use to make those issues more tolerable

Whenever the camera gets out of whack hold down R2 and use the slow-motion stance change feature to reorient your camera

Try to attack after you've blocked a couple strikes or deflected

Watch your characters orientation, you can tell when he has automatically locked on to a new opponent

There are several techniques and tactics that allow you to get out of a surrounded situation... roll out and try to line up enemies so they can't encircle you

run away and force them to chase you into a more advantageous environment

I felt the exact way you did it first but these tactics and techniques made life a lot more comfortable... especially the R2 slow down Camera orientation

I played through that entire game without understanding the wind direction mechanic. I grew to absolutely hate the map. Lol. I think I posted it in my shit you hate in videos games and someone explained it to me. One of my bigger OOOOHHH! moments in gaming lol.
Holy crap I bet that was confusing as hell!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back