PlayStation GHOST OF TSUSHIMA

Rate the Combat in PS4's Ghost of Tsushima

• Total voters
No way I'm paying $30 bucks for an extra island. I thought DLC's used to be like 19.99 maximum .

You wouldn’t pay $30 for a 20 hour game?
If the Mongols were as hard as the fuckers in Bloodborne maybe. The AI in GOT are stupid. Even the ORCs in Shadow of Mordor/War were more of a challenge.

They should have added a duel challenge option. I was into it with the duel with KENJI and then you don't get much of that. Could have been a multiplayer option also.

If the Mongols were as hard as the fuckers in Bloodborne maybe. The AI in GOT are stupid. Even the ORCs in Shadow of Mordor/War were more of a challenge.

They should have added a duel challenge option. I was into it with the duel with KENJI and then you don't get much of that. Could have been a multiplayer option also.

Have you tried playing on lethal and without defensive charms. ?

I'll wait till there are some reviews regarding the DLC, I really want it but I sort of broke the bank getting a PS5 and a TV.

Late to the party post.

I finished the main campaign yesterday and this game is easily in my top 5 gaming experiences.

Regarding the ending:

I chose to honor Shimura and kill him. There is something said by Sensei Ishikawa halfway through his arc that I feel captures the essence of the choice you have to make. It was somewhere around the time that he is explaining his falling out with is student, Tomoe.

Sensei Ishikawa said something like "only children would expect perfection from their elders".

There is a strong case to be made that Shimura's tactics were wrong- he would willingly sacrifice soldiers en masse to uphold the samurai code. He is definitely a classist and a bit of a hypocrite. However, he is also a man of his word and he does struggle immensely with having to kill Jin. While he doesn't explicitly say it, he does understand that Jin's methods had some merit in defeating the enemy.

There is ab equally strong case that Jin's methods were wrong- he introduced the enemy and other bad actors on the island to poison. He openly defied leadership in front of a massive audience that led to many people following him and/or copying him. However, he is making his decisions based on his sense of the "greater good" meaning he would do anything to protect his people.

In my opinion, neither Sakai nor Shimura were fully right. There is no "bad" and no "good" ending.

Ghost stance is dope af

The first time busting that was an all time gaming moment for me. Everything about it was just perfect.

Yea, agreed 100%.

I stayed away from this thread and anything about this game because I knew I was going to get it when I eventually was able to get a PS5. So I really went in fresh for pretty much all of this game.

I got to that Ghost of Yarikawa mission and I saw Ghost Stance as a reward.. I thought to myself.. wtf is that? How do I even activate it? I already have 4 stances and the skills associated to them.

Played to that part of the mission, activated it, and HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT NO ONE SAW THAT COMING.

Chasing the Mongols outside that fort was goddamn amazing.

Then Jin's speech at the end: You are not soldiers. but YOU ARE WARRIORS!!

Game of the Forever.

Yea, agreed 100%.

I stayed away from this thread and anything about this game because I knew I was going to get it when I eventually was able to get a PS5. So I really went in fresh for pretty much all of this game.

I got to that Ghost of Yarikawa mission and I saw Ghost Stance as a reward.. I thought to myself.. wtf is that? How do I even activate it? I already have 4 stances and the skills associated to them.

Played to that part of the mission, activated it, and HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT NO ONE SAW THAT COMING.

Chasing the Mongols outside that fort was goddamn amazing.

Then Jin's speech at the end: You are not soldiers. but YOU ARE WARRIORS!!

Game of the Forever.
Man the multiplayer is also incredibly fun as well. Sold my ps4 thinking I'd have a 5 by now. I really want to play the expansion/standalone as well.

Late to the party post.

I finished the main campaign yesterday and this game is easily in my top 5 gaming experiences.

Regarding the ending:

I chose to honor Shimura and kill him. There is something said by Sensei Ishikawa halfway through his arc that I feel captures the essence of the choice you have to make. It was somewhere around the time that he is explaining his falling out with is student, Tomoe.

Sensei Ishikawa said something like "only children would expect perfection from their elders".

There is a strong case to be made that Shimura's tactics were wrong- he would willingly sacrifice soldiers en masse to uphold the samurai code. He is definitely a classist and a bit of a hypocrite. However, he is also a man of his word and he does struggle immensely with having to kill Jin. While he doesn't explicitly say it, he does understand that Jin's methods had some merit in defeating the enemy.

There is ab equally strong case that Jin's methods were wrong- he introduced the enemy and other bad actors on the island to poison. He openly defied leadership in front of a massive audience that led to many people following him and/or copying him. However, he is making his decisions based on his sense of the "greater good" meaning he would do anything to protect his people.

In my opinion, neither Sakai nor Shimura were fully right. There is no "bad" and no "good" ending.
Astute observations and glad you enjoyed the journey, samurai. I'd said this a couple times back when I originally played – the writing for Sensei Ishikawa floored me in this, being both brilliant and memory-staying; I'd ultimately jotted down a few of these lines to look back on in reflection. Time is the truest diagnostic for wisdom, I think, that something wise proves equally applicable today and in the 1200s. Grab that plat, brother!

Just started this game yesterday. Great first impression. Graphics are amazing. Combat is fun so far.

Another game i never got around to buying. Too many things i want to play, and not enough time.

I’ve thought about firing it up again to see if it looks any better on the ps5. It was a true graphical feat what they were able to do with a ps4.

Same. Haven’t had the time. Maybe after the DLC comes down in price a bit I might make another run.

I've been watching a bunch of Samurai flicks, and often being influenced by a setting from a movie/tv series, I decided to give this another go.

I had a trouble with the no lock on system, and getting timing down, but after about 5 hours, and a few key deflecting upgrades, I fucking love this game now.

The camera is still a bit fucky, but I just fought off about 10 enemies in one spot and a few archers (deflecting arrows is too cool). Locking on would have been a detriment there, but I still wish we had the option.

I wanted to wait for the PC version with all tje graphical/FPS upgrades and a lock on mod, but I'm glad I didn't. Despite only playing on base PS4, this still looks gorgeous (amazing with HDR) and the framerate is smooth enough.

The gameplay/combat options, beautiful graphics and really good story so far, Sucker Punch pulled off something amazing. I can only imagine how much better it looks/plays on PS5.

Is there DLC for this? I don't want to look it up in case of spoilers.

Last edited:
I've been watching a bunch of Samurai flicks, and often being influenced by a setting from a movie/tv series, I decided to give this another go.

I had a trouble with the no lock on system, and getting timing down, but after about 5 hours, and a few key deflecting upgrades, I fucking love this game now.

The camera is still a bit fucky, but I just fought off about 10 enemies in one spot and a few archers (deflecting arrows is too cool). Locking on would have been a detriment there, but I still wish we had the option.

I wanted to wait for the PC version with all tje graphical/FPS upgrades and a lock on mod, but I'm glad I didn't. Despite only playing on base PS4, this still looks gorgeous (amazing with HDR) and the framerate is smooth enough.

The gameplay/combat options, beautiful graphics and really good story so far, Sucker Punch pulled off something amazing. I can only imagine how much better it looks/plays on PS5.

Is there DLC for this? I don't want to look it up in case of spoilers.

I'm only playing the PS4 version, but thanks to art direction, limited HUD, and beautiful environments enhanced with HDR
A lock on feature was added in a patch around the time of the DLC expansion called Iki Island. It should be under the gameplay options called Target Lock and should be available to you providing your game has been updated. It's not supposed to be tied to the DLC.

A lock on feature was added in a patch around the time of the DLC expansion called Iki Island. It should be under the gameplay options called Target Lock and should be available to you providing your game has been updated. It's not supposed to be tied to the DLC.
Sweet, thanks man!

I just started downloading some 20 gig update, perhaps it's in that, if I didn't already have it. Can't wait to hop back in.

edit, so the dlc is an expansion, like Witcher style? We don't get too many of those these days. Season passes seem to be more equipment/costume focused, usually not worth it.

I'm watching the Last Samurai now with dinner, it's a Samurai weekend lol

Even though I was a bit mixed on The Last of Us series, I'm glad it did well. Can't wait to see what the John Wick 4 director does with the Ghost of Tsushima film. Aside from stellar action, his cinematography and excellent use of colour makes him perfect for this.

Sweet, thanks man!

I just started downloading some 20 gig update, perhaps it's in that, if I didn't already have it. Can't wait to hop back in.

edit, so the dlc is an expansion, like Witcher style? We don't get too many of those these days. Season passes seem to be more equipment/costume focused, usually not worth it.

I'm watching the Last Samurai now with dinner, it's a Samurai weekend lol

Even though I was a bit mixed on The Last of Us series, I'm glad it did well. Can't wait to see what the John Wick 4 director does with the Ghost of Tsushima film. Aside from stellar action, his cinematography and excellent use of colour makes him perfect for this.
Iki Island is a proper expansion set in a new area with additional quests, items, armours, skins etc. Similar to how the Witcher did DLC and i would say it's just as worth picking up if you enjoy the base game.

Have a happy Samurai weekend, Sherbro.
<{JustBleed}>

Iki Island is a proper expansion set in a new area with additional quests, items, armours, skins etc. Similar to how the Witcher did DLC and i would say it's just as worth picking up if you enjoy the base game.

Have a happy Samurai weekend, Sherbro.
<{JustBleed}>
lol, thanks, it's nice to have all your work done and a free weekend with a game you love.

I messed around with the lock on system, and barely use it, except when fighting bosses/Mongol leaders, and maybe a trio of enemies. I could live without it, but I'm glad it's there, thanks for the tip!

I've cleared the entire Southern part of the map, and haven't encountered a side mission I hated, or even disliked.

I can't get over how good this game is. I had started it twice since I bought it, but it just never clicked, now I'm a super addicted Ninja. I don't know if any of you played Tenchu 1/2 for the PS1, but those are some of my favs. When GTA 3 came out, I always wanted an open world Ninja game. I thought Sekiro would be close to that, but I could never get into it.

This is perfect. I love dropping those smoke bombs, and stealth killing my way around bases. They give you lots of tools to tackle things a variety of ways, it's so much fun!

I have only have 2 issues, 1 minor.

Enemies are easy to draw out and kill near one at a time. I had about 20 of them in one stronghold chase me outside, but their aggro range is short. As they start to retreat, you can line them up almost single file and take them out easily. It would be better if they had a bigger range, used their horses, and tried flanking you.

This really needs some grappling/Judo tosses (minor issue). You get a nice side kick in the wind stance, but I wish they gave us some grappling abilities too. Hopefully that comes in the final stance.

I love when a game I've had for a while, that I couldn't get into, winds up being one of my favs

lol, thanks, it's nice to have all your work done and a free weekend with a game you love.

I messed around with the lock on system, and barely use it, except when fighting bosses/Mongol leaders, and maybe a trio of enemies. I could live without it, but I'm glad it's there, thanks for the tip!

I've cleared the entire Southern part of the map, and haven't encountered a side mission I hated, or even disliked.

I can't get over how good this game is. I had started it twice since I bought it, but it just never clicked, now I'm a super addicted Ninja. I don't know if any of you played Tenchu 1/2 for the PS1, but those are some of my favs. When GTA 3 came out, I always wanted an open world Ninja game. I thought Sekiro would be close to that, but I could never get into it.

This is perfect. I love dropping those smoke bombs, and stealth killing my way around bases. They give you lots of tools to tackle things a variety of ways, it's so much fun!

I have only have 2 issues, 1 minor.

Enemies are easy to draw out and kill near one at a time. I had about 20 of them in one stronghold chase me outside, but their aggro range is short. As they start to retreat, you can line them up almost single file and take them out easily. It would be better if they had a bigger range, used their horses, and tried flanking you.

This really needs some grappling/Judo tosses (minor issue). You get a nice side kick in the wind stance, but I wish they gave us some grappling abilities too. Hopefully that comes in the final stance.

I love when a game I've had for a while, that I couldn't get into, winds up being one of my favs
I adored Tenchu 1 & 2. Played them to death. Even though i preferred the first game i did get emotionally invested in Tatsumaru's story even though the premise of the game is a bit silly. Seeing things from his perspective was quite sad in the end.

Ghost Of Tsushima is a game i've been waiting for forever. I've always been interested in Samurai and found few games that provide a more grounded Samurai experience. Bushido Blade and Kengo are the main ones i can think of and they're just 1v1 fighting games. Way Of The Samurai 3 was enjoyable but not quite it. I only got back into console gaming because of GoT being a PS exclusive but i had to have it and it didn't disappoint.

I can't think of many negative things to say about the game. Nothing major, anyway.

As for difficulty you could always switch to Lethal Mode. Both the player and enemies die faster but their aggression is increased and they can even attack simultaneously. The parry window is also smaller so your timing needs to be pretty good. Some find this mode can be easy however if you've mastered the combat and timing but the threat of being 1 or 2 shotted will still keep you on your toes.

The online mode is pretty fun as well. I have played a fair amount of it and have encountered no toxicity at all.

Last edited:
Back