Social Ghosting huge problem for companies today.

I worked for a shop for 15 years before it went corporate with new management. Things got restructured and I became disgruntled so was called into the office. Here's the punchline:

"This is your first and final warning. But if you're considering other employment please have the courtesy to give us 2 weeks notice."

Yeah? Get fucked. You get what you give and 8f the relationship is unbalanced then it's garage.

Every once in awhile I used to help out a local machine shop when they were swamped.
They got bought out by a new company and pulled the everyone has to apply to keep their job bullshit. 3/4 of the employees told them to go fuck themselves and formed their own company. The original company folded in less than 6 months because they couldn’t find anyone to work for them.

I didn't expect to see that kind of idiocy here, but okie doke.
you really thought this was a rebuttal, huh? <Lmaoo> just don’t respond next time if you can’t muster up more than “nuh uh!”

Race to the bottom. This is what capitalism does without pushback and why Financial industry is making all the real money gains in last 20-30 years. https://www.rogueeconomics.com/bill-bonner-diary/the-financialization-of-the-american-economy/

They smartly got mom and pop into it all (with 401k 403b etc) so in effect tied them to the beast that is trying to pay you less and less.

Which is also why most jobs do not offer pensions here in the States. And why they are killing off Unions.

Ah yes, the "unfettered capitalism" of unskilled people in the highest taxed and most regulated state in the country walking out of their jobs to collect unemployment and smoke weed/play video games.

These aren't Amazon employees, they're restaurants and small businesses that don't have a CEO, and the article said the pay ranged from $14 to $20/hour.
Isn’t America awesome!!!! You sound jealous!!!!!!! Gonna pack a bowl and play some fifa!!!!

Before covid hit, I remember hearing about how local restaurants and gyms would suddenly close with no notice given. The employees would show up and not even know the place closed until they saw the signs on the door. Total scumbag move on the parts of owners/managers since they obviously knew they were closing. Not surprising it's turned around like this

Every once in awhile I used to help out a local machine shop when they were swamped.
They got bought out by a new company and pulled the everyone has to apply to keep their job bullshit. 3/4 of the employees told them to go fuck themselves and formed their own company. The original company folded in less than 6 months because they couldn’t find anyone to work for them.
The same company (W M Schmidt for the locals) had reached out a few times to hire me back. They've run out all their old employees who had a decent benefit package from the previous ownership and have capped what employees can earn under their piece work structure. Yeah, thanks but no thanks. The new manager has hired his hack of a brother as a supervisor, gives his hack if a father preferential treatment and has built a 2 mill house off his bonus structure. Pure scumbag who's fucked even his friends. I'd gladly break my foot off in his ass.

Long and short of it is, I have no problems with any employee giving as good as they get in many cases.

Supply and demand. If it’s an endemic problem then clearly companies need to make adjustments with remuneration or somewhere. No real sympathy but it also does say something about this generation and how they lack accountability and responsibility. You change your mind then pick up the phone and tell your hirer - that’s just basic decency.
It's not a lack of responsibility, it's saying fuck you to a system that's been fucking workers for decades.

Your specific job experience is irrelevant to a conversation about the nation as a whole.

As for pensions - 41% of the private sector workforce was covered by pensions in the 1950s. And the public sector was even greater.
https://russellinvestments.com/-/me...fined-benefit-plans-a-brief-history.pdf?la=en

That figure is down to ~10% now with pensions having been replaced by defined contribution plans, like 401(k)s. Quite a bit of those covered individuals were in low skilled employee work, like line workers in factories.

When discussing why low level workers aren't sticking around with employers, a big part of the explanation is because there's no incentive to doing so. They are not leaving behind a pension plan or, in many cases, an employee match on the 401(k) or even a healthcare plan. If employers want employees to not just walk away from them, they have to incentive the employees. Thankfully, many employers are recognizing this and trying to find benefits, like tuition assistance, that entry level, low skill, employees will stick around for.

Yes, my actual experience does matter. ExxonMobil, Magellan Pipeline, lyondellbasell, Valero, Marathon - all companies I personally could work for and considered them all. But I'm a highly skilled worker. So finding a job with a pension isn't very difficult.

I asked you for the specific low wage positions you keep mentioning. You provide national statistics that lump easily replaceable non-skilled workers with degreed and skilled trades. No wonder you don't want my personal pension hunting job experience to mean anything.

Again, what low wage non-skilled specific positions are you referring to? I mean, there were a lot of them that provided pensions right?

You sound gotten, shit jobs could have better wages if there were no people willing to do them for 15h, that is free market. Billionaires will keep getting richer while poor people will have to deal with more violence, crime, and run-down neighborhoods. But glad you are happy that now megacorps have people for shit wages.

Gotten? Like I’m on the payroll or I’m freaking out?

Shit jobs could be better if they paid more. No shit? The issue isn’t the pay. The issue is with consumers. Regular people had a hard enough time justifying buying fresh produce before all of this shit went down. Raising the wage on seasonal labor only makes the problem worse. Face it, there are just some jobs where cheap labor is desirable for everyone. Many of the wealthiest nations have access to cheap labor markets and use them because the average consumer is unwilling to pay a premium. Hell people are going nuts because inflation is up. People near border states benefit from cheap home prices because most of the time it’s built using migrant workers. Same goes for produce or meat. If we got rid of all 11 million migrant workers at once, the entire system would go to shit.

It’s a political issue the right uses to strike fear in the base that suddenly migrant workers will be building cars at a GM plant. That’s not how it works but politicians do a wonderful job framing it that way.

The GOP had the chance from 2016-2018 to pass meaningful immigration reform but instead lowered taxes for the rich. There’s a reason why.

The article is about two dozen people who were initially hired by a catering company and said fuck it to such a low paying job during a pandemic.

So an employer wants to pay a shit wage and then cry over no one wanting to take it. If you feel like it's such a great offer TS, take her up on it. Not sure what you want the rest of us to do about it.

Obviously it’s poor form to not inform an employers that you’re quitting, but one would certainly expect low retention from workers at/near minimum wage.

LOL what comes around goes around...- They wanted a world with no accountability. No loyalty to workers. Fire at will. They never thought about what it would be like if workers did it too.

Recruiters in several industries say they've never seen anything like it.

"We are in such desperate need that I would literally hire anyone that passes the background check," said one food-service recruiter who is currently trying to staff a large food-service contract. Insider agreed to not publish her name or client.

In the past six weeks alone, she told Insider, she scheduled 58 interviews for jobs ranging from $14 to $20 per hour, of which 27 candidates actually showed up. From there she scheduled eight for onboarding after they passed a background check, only to have just five show up for work. Of those five, three have ghosted her leaving only two out of the original 58 she considered.

"We're just understaffed and barely keeping our heads above water and I'm at a complete loss as to how to fix it," she said.

The manager of a spa and fitness center at a California country club said she has had eight new hires ghost her this year so far, even after she specifically talks about ghosting in her onboarding process and asks that workers stay in communication with her, especially if they want to quit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...king-away-from-a-job/ar-AAOBCoa?ocid=msedgntp

I wonder what they are disqualifying people for in the background checks, sounds like she cut 20 people who probably really wanted some honest work.

Supply and demand. If it’s an endemic problem then clearly companies need to make adjustments with remuneration or somewhere. No real sympathy but it also does say something about this generation and how they lack accountability and responsibility. You change your mind then pick up the phone and tell your hirer - that’s just basic decency.

For years you would get no call about applications or interviews, employers built the disrespect in this area.

I worked for a shop for 15 years before it went corporate with new management. Things got restructured and I became disgruntled so was called into the office. Here's the punchline:

"This is your first and final warning. But if you're considering other employment please have the courtesy to give us 2 weeks notice."

Yeah? Get fucked. You get what you give and 8f the relationship is unbalanced then it's garage.

I remind all my friends and my wife to be ruthless with their employers unless they have stake in the company, commission bonuses or other incentives to actually work hard. Your coworkers and bosses aren't your friends. If you died, you'd be replaced within a week. Use and abuse your employers lol.

Back