gillespie vs islam who you got

Gillespie has a reputation as a gym/mat rat. What makes you say he's not really into MMA that much?

fact that he fishes all the time and doesnt take mma as a serious job lots say he takes his mma career as serious as your normal bjj hobbyest here who prob trains 4 t 5 days a week kids rich comes from money so doesnt need to fight kinda like bj penn

man its crazy how quick matt would get double unders on guys like it was nothing lol even vs fedor n their fight its hard to see what hed usually do with it though tbh he knocked himself out once trying to get a guy down from the clinch
I know! I remember being so impressed in the Fedor fight. With the Niko fight it was more of a failed throw that did him in. I suppose he was effective as ever in securing that lock.

fact that he fishes all the time and doesnt take mma as a serious job lots say he takes his mma career as serious as your normal bjj hobbyest here who prob trains 4 t 5 days a week kids rich comes from money so doesnt need to fight kinda like bj penn
Yeah but look at BJ. It'd be laughable to claim he didn't take his career seriously. Same with Cerrone and all his other activities. A whole lot of fighters need to have other outlets for their energy. It makes them BETTER fighters not worse. Fishing, hunting, video games, surfing, etc. It doesn't mean they take their chosen profession any less serious. And in Gillespies case we don't have a clue if he has access to his family's money. Dude was a hard partying addict some years back. And his family ain't from Long Island which is where Gregor lives. Can't make too many assumptions about the man.

mhm i hope him losing t kevin lee woke him up so he take sit serious he comes from super rich family so he isnt a true fighter at heart a rich guy whos naturally talented who does like to push himself but doesnt need it i feel his size hurts him in this fight even 5 pounds can make massive difference
Sounds like a "motivated Penn" meme in the making. BJ's family was much richer. camp stories say he rented a huge amount of extras just to get a feel of a crowd in his training camp. funny.

How do you know Gillespie parents have money? What do they do? Can you provide a source for these claims?

How do you know Gillespie parents have money? What do they do? Can you provide a source for these claims?
read it somewhere they have massive land up north where he goes fishing hes always traveling the world fishing which shows they have money he hasnt made much off his ufc earnings tbh but yeah id have to do some digging to find it but thats what i read

While I agree he is a better wrestler; Islam is probably the better overall grappler. He's a judo and sambo black belt and yes, wrestling is a better art for MMA but from my experience judo/sambo techniques can really caught wrestler out of guard, once they learn then its very hard to happen again.

Mmm you can see a lot of USA wrestlers in trouble with East Europe freestyle wrestlers for the same reason at international level. The reason is simple : East Europe freestyle is a true open style of wrestling and not an adjusted version of American folks style...

Mmm you can see a lot of USA wrestlers in trouble with East Europe freestyle wrestlers for the same reason at international level. The reason is simple : East Europe freestyle is a true open style of wrestling and not an adjusted version of American folks style...

but for mma the riding tehcnique sof folkt ranslate over to mma more which is why u dont see freestyle guys holding people down thats why khabib went to usa he had best wrestlers right in his backyard but came ehre to learn how to control from top and use the cage since he was sue to fighting in m1 rings

his fight fight in ufc was against one of my old wrestling coaches kamal and he was able to single leg him down at will he mma out wrestled him kamal on paper might been the best wrestler he had faced so far in ufc and early in khabibs career he could take down at will yet he struggles with folkstyle guys a lot more like pat healey he hasnt fought many folk wrestlers tbh besides pat and abel he did take down abel but abel kept getting right back up to the point he took him down over 20 times in a fightshows he couldnt really control him

but for mma the riding tehcnique sof folkt ranslate over to mma more which is why u dont see freestyle guys holding people down thats why khabib went to usa he had best wrestlers right in his backyard but came ehre to learn how to control from top and use the cage since he was sue to fighting in m1 rings

his fight fight in ufc was against one of my old wrestling coaches kamal and he was able to single leg him down at will he mma out wrestled him kamal on paper might been the best wrestler he had faced so far in ufc and early in khabibs career he could take down at will yet he struggles with folkstyle guys a lot more like pat healey he hasnt fought many folk wrestlers tbh besides pat and abel he did take down abel but abel kept getting right back up to the point he took him down over 20 times in a fightshows he couldnt really control him

Freestyle is better for takedown and stand up wrestling and folk is better on the ground but you can see a pure freestyler like Fundora won in ground control vs Ben Askren at Olympic level so...

Last edited:
Freestyle is better for takedown and stand up wrestling and folk is better on the ground but you can see a pure freestyler like Fundora won in ground control vs Ben Askren at Olympic level so...

folk guys are fine with their takedowns in mma tho ground wrestling is whats most improtant right now which freestyles guys just dont have

folk guys are fine with their takedowns in mma tho ground wrestling is whats most improtant right now which freestyles guys just dont have
Too small numbers of freestyle athletes in ufc and the major number of ufc champions from wrestling are not collegiate wrestlers but freestyle champion.

Last edited:
Too small numbers of freestyle athletes in ufc and the major number of ufc champions from wrestling are not collegiate wrestlers but freestyle champion.
who?
us erious? lol all ufc champions were folk guys lets take a look

dc,jon jones,frankie edgar,dom cruz,henry ejudo grew upa folk guy but was so good went straight to freestyle skipping college to go to olympics

matt hughes,jonny hendrix,tyron woodley, marty fake newsman,uriah faber,tj dillashaw,chris weidman, the list goes on man

am ir eading this right? u think theirs more freestyle wrestlers who are/were ufc champs than folk?

Yeah but look at BJ. It'd be laughable to claim he didn't take his career seriously. Same with Cerrone and all his other activities. A whole lot of fighters need to have other outlets for their energy. It makes them BETTER fighters not worse. Fishing, hunting, video games, surfing, etc. It doesn't mean they take their chosen profession any less serious. And in Gillespies case we don't have a clue if he has access to his family's money. Dude was a hard partying addict some years back. And his family ain't from Long Island which is where Gregor lives. Can't make too many assumptions about the man.
Well, the biggest criticism of bj was that he wasnt disciplined in training.

i feel bjs lack of athleticism eventually would hurt him flexibility isnt gonna save you he was really flat footed athletic guys who could put ona big pace gives bj issues especially his style where he passively sits back striking and grappling only when someone engages him that isnt a winning game plan today

If Gregor ever changes his nickname to Dizzy I'll become a fan for life.

Dizzy-Gillespie-1955.jpg

Absolutely. But my point is, who knows what BJs body of work would look like had he trained harder. Maybe it would've taxed him to the point where it was no longer fun, interesting, inspiring, etc. And maybe a bored, uninterested, uninspired BJ would've been a lesser fighter. Would it be great if he had the capacity to train harder and still maintain his overall ability? Sure. But we'll never know what the actual result would've been.

This isn't a true example though bc the rules, scoring criteria, format, and objective is so different in FS then in MMA.

Having said that, I have a theory that FS and even GR wrestling equip a fighter to execute good ground control in MMA just fine and that examples that seem to suggest otherwise are largely a result of preference and approach, not ability. I feel that if you can turn/expose a resisting defending opponent in FS/GR then you can control them in MMA just fine. Especially FS makes you so good at scrambling and body awareness I just can't imagine having poor ground control in an open rule set like MMA.

Back