Gloves you like more then winnings?

Brandon Robinson

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
For people who have owned or regularly used winnings and preferred other gloves, what were the gloves? And why?

I've owned 12oz and 14oz Winning gloves and I have liked a lot of gloves more than those as the finger pocket wasn't deep enough in them for me. I do have some 10oz Winnings coming but will sell them if the issue is the same. I also have several 16oz gloves that I really like and with similarish builds to Winning to where I am not really interested in 16oz Winnings, even though they're definitely great gloves.

A glove that is quite similar to Winning in style and fit and that I prefer to Winning, but has much much worse craftsmanship and quality, are YooYang gloves made in Korea. I have two of those in 12oz and am going to pick up a 16oz when I hopefully travel there at the end of the year. For my hands they're some of the best fitting gloves I've ever tried. I think the padding is foam+fiber, thick and soft and cushy.

I will say that one of the best things about Winning, aside from the actual features of their gloves, is the quality control. When was the last time you heard about Winning gloves, either custom or stock, having any kind of defect or issue with them? The answer to that is practically never. My issue with the 12/14oz is one of design and not to do with their manufacturing. And almost every other major brand that I've frequently come into contact with, I've seen or heard about bad pairs, the lining rips in one too quickly, the colours rub off in another, etc. Winning quality control is really top notch.

Last edited:
I've owned 12oz and 14oz Winning gloves and I have liked a lot of gloves more than those as the finger pocket wasn't deep enough in them for me. I do have some 10oz Winnings coming but will sell them if the issue is the same. I also have several 16oz gloves that I really like and with similarish builds to Winning to where I am not really interested in 16oz Winnings, even though they're definitely great gloves.

A glove that is quite similar to Winning in style and fit and that I prefer to Winning, but has much much worse craftsmanship and quality, are YooYang gloves made in Korea. I have two of those in 12oz and am going to pick up a 16oz when I hopefully travel there at the end of the year. For my hands they're some of the best fitting gloves I've ever tried. I think the padding is foam+fiber, thick and soft and cushy.

I will say that one of the best things about Winning, aside from the actual features of their gloves, is the quality control. When was the last time you heard about Winning gloves, either custom or stock, having any kind of defect or issue with them? The answer to that is practically never. My issue with the 12/14oz is one of design and not to do with their manufacturing. And almost every other major brand that I've frequently come into contact with, I've seen or heard about bad pairs, the lining rips in one too quickly, the colours rub off in another, etc. Winning quality control is really top notch.
Is there anything you didn't like apart from the finger pocket being too short?

Also how much are you selling those winnings for? Have you ever got a chance to try fly, or 1v1 or any of the other big brands

Also how much are those Yooyang gloves?

I actually prefer the most recent updated model of New Sporting 16 ounce gloves for sparring. I would have Fly and Winning as a tie for second place. In terms of bag gloves, my favorites are GIL and 1v1. For pro fight gloves, I like Grant best, followed by the Rival RFX Guerrero HDE-F model. I feel like Winnings are one of the most versatile, as they are great for both sparring and bagwork. A lot of sparring gloves that are on the softer side will wear out relatively fast on the heavy bag, but Winning has great durability. I also think Winning has the best quality control. Every pair is practically the exact same. While I personally prefer the newest model of New Sporting for sparring, that mainly just has to do with my own personal preference and how the gloves fit my hands. New Sporting is definitely not up to the level of Winning in terms of quality control, stitching, and just overall craftsmanship. I think both Fly and 1v1 have both really stepped up their game in terms of quality control over the past couple years. And of course Dinardo supposedly has really good craftsmanship but I can’t speak on them, as I’ve never owned their gloves.

One other thing I’d like to mention related to sparring....in terms of the gloves that your sparring partner is wearing, I’ve never felt a glove that hurts less than Fly. They are even softer than Winning. If you ever have a choice about what gloves your sparring partner is going to wear, I would absolutely recommend Fly Superlace or Superloop (I’m not a big fan of the China produced X series).

Is there anything you didn't like apart from the finger pocket being too short?

Also how much are you selling those winnings for? Have you ever got a chance to try fly, or 1v1 or any of the other big brands

Also how much are those Yooyang gloves?

I already sold the Winnings a couple years ago. I like everything about them apart from the finger pocket in 12/14, which is deep enough in 16s, as I tend to like cushy feeling gloves.

I've owned some good brand gloves, like Grant, Reyes, Campeon, Hernandez, TM, Shevlin, Beaulieu(Mosby), Phenom, Rival, Fairtex and some other Thai brands, Hayabusa, R2C, TopBoxer, and ones from big brands like Everlast and Lonsdale, and maybe some others that I don't remember.

I've tried Fly X gloves as a few people have those at my gym. I don't like the padding that much in them (although it's fine and good for sparring) but I do really like the fit of the gloves.

I haven't tried DiNardo, 1v1, ONX. I ordered some Golomb and Barric gloves recently as well as some Classics and New Sporting from Edgar Martinez but haven't received them yet or tried them before.

The YooYang gloves are about 100USD. I don't know if they ship outside of Korea. The stitching is poor and the piping is done by machine rather than hand and is not leather and the thumb base strip is also not leather (the rest of the glove is). I'd only recommend them if you really like this type of glove. Winning and then Shevlin are the closest gloves I've had to them, although their craftmanship was on another level to the YooYang. But even still, I actually love how they feel: http://www.boxingin.com/

edit: I'll say also about the YooYang gloves that the thumb is unattached (I view as a positive, others may view as a negative). And the velcro version doesn't have any padding on the palm-side of the cuff (similar to Winning velcro), but they can add it if you request.

Last edited:
One other thing I’d like to mention related to sparring....in terms of the gloves that your sparring partner is wearing, I’ve never felt a glove that hurts less than Fly. They are even softer than Winning. If you ever have a choice about what gloves your sparring partner is going to wear, I would absolutely recommend Fly Superlace or Superloop (I’m not a big fan of the China produced X series).

Wow that's really interesting, so the flys are even more forgiving then the winnings?

I actually have a pair of fly x's now that im selling

With a pair of fly premiums that are coming in the next week or two.

What don't you like about the x's? They are buy far the best glove I've ever seen but I got nothing to compare that to as apart from these the most expensive gloves to run through my gym are fairtex. What are the differences id heard the two gloves are fairly similar

Also this might sound odd but when did you get, or try the fly x's and in what colour?

Im just wondering if its worth saving up for a pair of winnings since I'm getting these flys anyway

I already sold the Winnings a couple years ago. I like everything about them apart from the finger pocket in 12/14, which is deep enough in 16s, as I tend to like cushy feeling gloves.

I've owned some good brand gloves, like Grant, Reyes, Campeon, Hernandez, TM, Shevlin, Beaulieu(Mosby), Phenom, Rival, Fairtex and some other Thai brands, Hayabusa, R2C, TopBoxer, and ones from big brands like Everlast and Lonsdale, and maybe some others that I don't remember.

I've tried Fly X gloves as a few people have those at my gym. I don't like the padding that much in them (although it's fine and good for sparring) but I do really like the fit of the gloves.

I haven't tried DiNardo, 1v1, ONX. I ordered some Golomb and Barric gloves recently as well as some Classics and New Sporting from Edgar Martinez but haven't received them yet or tried them before.

The YooYang gloves are about 100USD. I don't know if they ship outside of Korea. The stitching is poor and the piping is done by machine rather than hand and is not leather and the thumb base strip is also not leather (the rest of the glove is). I'd only recommend them if you really like this type of glove. Winning and then Shevlin are the closest gloves I've had to them, although their craftmanship was on another level to the YooYang. But even still, I actually love how they feel: http://www.boxingin.com/

edit: I'll say also about the YooYang gloves that the thumb is unattached (I view as a positive, others may view as a negative). And the velcro version doesn't have any padding on the palm-side of the cuff (similar to Winning velcro), but they can add it if you request.
Ahh sorry I misread ur post

Do u mind if I ask what you dont like about the fly x padding, I have them now but I dont really own anything to compare it too

So what feels so great about the yooyang gloves?

Ahh sorry I misread ur post

Do u mind if I ask what you dont like about the fly x padding, I have them now but I dont really own anything to compare it too

So what feels so great about the yooyang gloves?
I don't like how it feels hitting on impact, it feels kind of like a block on your fist rather than conforming around the fist on impact. But that's just me and others seem to really like it. I like the YooYang gloves because the finger pocket is deep, the thumb is long and feels like it's in a great place and I can make a very good fist in them and also open my hand easily in them, plus I tend to like soft/cushy gloves.

I like the fly I am using a pair as my main sparring gloves I like the shape and the padding it’s a touch softer than winning. I know the winning seem to be much more durable than the fly though just from the guy at my gym who has worn through pairs of both. I prefer the winning on the bag and then the fly for sparring but it’s nice having both. NS are good especially the padding and shape provides you can get a good pair as quality control is still not great so buying from someone like @Edgar Martinez is a safer bet. I also like plain old boring cleto Reyes as once they are worn in they are great all round gloves that can take some punishment

Wow that's really interesting, so the flys are even more forgiving then the winnings?

I actually have a pair of fly x's now that im selling

With a pair of fly premiums that are coming in the next week or two.

What don't you like about the x's? They are buy far the best glove I've ever seen but I got nothing to compare that to as apart from these the most expensive gloves to run through my gym are fairtex. What are the differences id heard the two gloves are fairly similar

Also this might sound odd but when did you get, or try the fly x's and in what colour?

Im just wondering if its worth saving up for a pair of winnings since I'm getting these flys anyway
So when I say I’m not a big fan of Fly’s X line of gloves, I really just mean in comparison to other gloves of similar price (based on current exchange rates, the Fly X gloves are currently about $255 before shipping and tax) and Fly’s premium line of gloves. So I probably didn’t word that as well as I should have in my previous post, because I do think the Fly X’s are very good gloves. I just personally would pick several other brands over the Fly X at that price point. But I am mostly a fan of Mexican gloves; I have a pretty large glove collection and the only two that are not made in Mexico are the Fly Superlace and 1v1 horsehair gloves. But everyone has different preferences when it comes to gloves, so just because I may prefer Cleto Reyes over the Fly X’s doesn’t mean that Reyes is necessarily better or that other people won’t prefer the X’s. From using both the Fly Superlace X and the premium Superlace gloves, I just feel like the premium line is a level above in terms of materials used, stitching, overall craftsmanship, durability, comfort, etc. So for me, if I’m going to spend a bunch of money on Fly gloves, I’d rather go ahead and spend a little more to get the top of the line gloves. In terms of specifics, I wasn’t crazy about the artificial/engineered leather that was used on the Fly X’s. I don’t have anything against engineered leather and synthetic materials in general being used on boxing gloves. For example, I really like the synthetic microfiber that Rival uses on a lot of their gloves, and Winning will also make custom gloves with a nice synthetic leather by request. However, the material used on the Fly X’s just wasn’t my favorite; it almost had a vinyl feel to it, and it seemed like it might eventually have some issues with cracking (although I don’t know that for sure, as I ended up selling the gloves, and no actual cracks had formed yet). I also thought they felt a little flimsy, and I just wasn’t crazy about the overall fit. I also really like how the premium Fly gloves are made in the UK, because that is pretty rare (as far as I know, they are the only glove company manufacturing in the UK), whereas the X line is made in China. And for your other question, the Fly X’s I had were purchased probably about 6-7 months ago, although I don’t remember for sure. The color was white.

So when I say I’m not a big fan of Fly’s X line of gloves, I really just mean in comparison to other gloves of similar price (based on current exchange rates, the Fly X gloves are currently about $255 before shipping and tax) and Fly’s premium line of gloves.
Do you think the premium Fly gloves are worth the price though from a consumer's perspective? What with being quite a bit more expensive than Winning for example

Do you think the premium Fly gloves are worth the price though from a consumer's perspective? What with being quite a bit more expensive than Winning for example
I think it just depends on the individual person and their own unique situation. Speaking personally, boxing in general is one of my biggest passions, and boxing gloves are one of the very few things I splurge on when it comes to spending money. I don’t have a fancy new car, a big house, I’m married but don’t have any kids, just my dog and two cats. I’m not into buying expensive clothes, jewelry, shoes, etc. I don’t really go on exotic, expensive vacations, as I’m more of a homebody. But the one thing that I will definitely spend some money on is boxing gloves. So for me personally, it’s not really that big of a deal to pay an extra hundred bucks or so for a pair of Flys over Winnings. However, if I was on a tight budget, I may feel differently. But when it comes to sparring, I like Fly about equal with Winning. I think people always need to find the gloves that work best for them, and although Winnings are great gloves, there are going to be some people who find that other brands work just as well or better for them.

And by the way, let me just add that while I don’t mind spending money on gloves, Dinardo is where I’ve drawn the line. I just can’t get myself to pay over $1,000 for a pair of gloves.

⁰P70dP3w0p-o
I don't like how it feels hitting on impact, it feels kind of like a block on your fist rather than conforming around the fist on impact. But that's just me and others seem to really like it. I like the YooYang gloves because the finger pocket is deep, the thumb is long and feels like it's in a great place and I can make a very good fist in them and also open my hand easily in them, plus I tend to like soft/cushy gloves.

Interesting ty for the perspective have you ever got chance to try the dearer fly gloves?

I like the fly I am using a pair as my main sparring gloves I like the shape and the padding it’s a touch softer than winning. I know the winning seem to be much more durable than the fly though just from the guy at my gym who has worn through pairs of both. I prefer the winning on the bag and then the fly for sparring but it’s nice having both. NS are good especially the padding and shape provides you can get a good pair as quality control is still not great so buying from someone like @Edgar Martinez is a safer bet. I also like plain old boring cleto Reyes as once they are worn in they are great all round gloves that can take some punishment

Interesting to note, ill be using my flys for sparring only so they should hopefully last a while

Interesting to note, ill be using my flys for sparring only so they should hopefully last a while
I am sure they would last fine on the bag too just would expect them too wear out quicker than winning that’s all.

I think the shape is better on the fly in my opinion

Last edited:
So when I say I’m not a big fan of Fly’s X line of gloves, I really just mean in comparison to other gloves of similar price (based on current exchange rates, the Fly X gloves are currently about $255 before shipping and tax) and Fly’s premium line of gloves. So I probably didn’t word that as well as I should have in my previous post, because I do think the Fly X’s are very good gloves. I just personally would pick several other brands over the Fly X at that price point. But I am mostly a fan of Mexican gloves; I have a pretty large glove collection and the only two that are not made in Mexico are the Fly Superlace and 1v1 horsehair gloves. But everyone has different preferences when it comes to gloves, so just because I may prefer Cleto Reyes over the Fly X’s doesn’t mean that Reyes is necessarily better or that other people won’t prefer the X’s. From using both the Fly Superlace X and the premium Superlace gloves, I just feel like the premium line is a level above in terms of materials used, stitching, overall craftsmanship, durability, comfort, etc. So for me, if I’m going to spend a bunch of money on Fly gloves, I’d rather go ahead and spend a little more to get the top of the line gloves. In terms of specifics, I wasn’t crazy about the artificial/engineered leather that was used on the Fly X’s. I don’t have anything against engineered leather and synthetic materials in general being used on boxing gloves. For example, I really like the synthetic microfiber that Rival uses on a lot of their gloves, and Winning will also make custom gloves with a nice synthetic leather by request. However, the material used on the Fly X’s just wasn’t my favorite; it almost had a vinyl feel to it, and it seemed like it might eventually have some issues with cracking (although I don’t know that for sure, as I ended up selling the gloves, and no actual cracks had formed yet). I also thought they felt a little flimsy, and I just wasn’t crazy about the overall fit. I also really like how the premium Fly gloves are made in the UK, because that is pretty rare (as far as I know, they are the only glove company manufacturing in the UK), whereas the X line is made in China. And for your other question, the Fly X’s I had were purchased probably about 6-7 months ago, although I don’t remember for sure. The color was white.

What brands would u choose over fly x's?

What made the premium flys more comfortable?

Was there any difference in the padding?

Were the gloves white and silver or just plain white?

I am sure they would last fine on the bag too just would expect them too wear out quicker than winning that’s all.

I think the shape is better on the fly in my opinion

I got some rb10s my bag use is covered lol

Back