Going to be a crazy night in Louisville

No. A terrorist organization for decades. Great job at completely ignoring history.

https://www.newsbreak.com/kentucky/...e-dead-heres-what-led-to-the-louisville-riots

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5310854002

Tldr: someone in the crowd of protesters shot at police, police then loaded live rounds and fired back at the crowd killing an innocent business owner.
From what I gather from a co-worker that lives 5 blocks away, he was there to make sure his business didn't get messed up and started smoking meat to prepare for the next day. There are currently hundreds gathering in front of his shop and ready to come unglued. Very volatile situation in Louisville right now.
Discuss-

Good grief. That's horrible.

Could we just have 5 years of fully functional body cameras and police getting punished properly? It'd do wonders. People don't think about it, but the idea that the cop walking up to your car is wearing a monitoring device, and that if he had brutalized someone he'd be fired by now, would do great things for our collective consciousness.

Could we just have 5 years of fully functional body cameras and police getting punished properly? It'd do wonders. People don't think about it, but the idea that the cop walking up to your car is wearing a monitoring device, and that if he had brutalized someone he'd be fired by now, would do great things for our collective consciousness.
Why is it that these police have been immune to this? Are the unions so powerful they can stop this? Can the cities not change things at all? Why are local governments so bad at controlling their own police?

Why is it that these police have been immune to this? Are the unions so powerful they can stop this? Can the cities not change things at all? Why are local governments so bad at controlling their own police?
Whole mess of things, I would guess, including those. I think being a good cop is a hard job, it's just so easy to be a shitty cop. You want someone rational, reasonable, calm, but also assertive, brave, selfless. Someone who commands respect without the urge to abuse it. Someone who follows orders but also thinks for themselves. I think you make sure pay is very competitive, then start culling the herd. So many of the people in authority probably used to be shitty cops themselves. It won't happen overnight, but if you keep it up the culture will shift. This is assuming society doesn't crumble, of course.

Whole mess of things, I would guess, including those. I think being a good cop is a hard job, it's just so easy to be a shitty cop. You want someone rational, reasonable, calm, but also assertive, brave, selfless. Someone who commands respect without the urge to abuse it. Someone who follows orders but also thinks for themselves. I think you make sure pay is very competitive, then start culling the herd. So many of the people in authority probably used to be shitty cops themselves. It won't happen overnight, but if you keep it up the culture will shift. This is assuming society doesn't crumble, of course.
I know why cops go bad. Being around people that are awful messes with you.
My question is why can't cities clean up their police forces?

I know why cops go bad. Being around people that are awful messes with you.
My question is why can't cities clean up their police forces?

Thry don't have much incentive.

Because if they cleaned up their forces, they wouldn't have a functional police force?

I think most cities are pretty desperate for bodies to fill the jobs as an officer (In my experience growing up in Philly they sure were). So firing a whole mess of people exacerbates that problem in the short term even if it would help clean up bad behavior in the long term.

I think most cities are pretty desperate for bodies to fill the jobs as an officer (In my experience growing up in Philly they sure were). So firing a whole mess of people exacerbates that problem in the short term even if it would help clean up bad behavior in the long term.
I think this is a large part of the problem

Because if they cleaned up their forces, they wouldn't have a functional police force?

Thats a big part of it, yeah. All cops are essentially corrupt just by thr nature of having to cover for all other cops at all times.

Why? He was not there. His job is to hold those that were accountable. Hence relieving the chief.
But yet I suppose you want the cops that served the warrant that got brionna Taylor killed held responsible and not the people that sent them there on bad information, essentially setting them up for failure...

Maybe it's time to hold accountability to the highest level. We had that in the military. Leadership has accountability for f*ck ups whether it concerns a ship, squadron, battalion, or entire branch of service that is having problems. Regardless of what the unemployment or murder rate is or how many bad shoots the cops have the Mayor and City Council will stay until the next election. Maybe it's time to change that and decrease their level of comfort.

Maybe it's time to hold accountability to the highest level. We had that in the military. Leadership has accountability for f*ck ups whether it concerns a ship, squadron, battalion, or entire branch of service that is having problems. Regardless of what the unemployment or murder rate is or how many bad shoots the cops have the Mayor and City Council will stay until the next election. Maybe it's time to change that and decrease their level of comfort.
He relieved the chief, and made an appearance in the west end... Not many would be willing to go over there in that situation. I don't think he's doing that bad.

Just terrible. Just fucking awful. What's the answer from here? Should they pull the police out of all areas? Is that fair to the people who are sick, afraid, to weak to defend themselves. Because these people rely on police officers to protect them. I Where does it end? Do things blow over in 2 weeks? 2 months. Can society survive that long with no law and order. Shits cray right now
you cannot allow lawlessness to rule, the decent people of this country who's lives are invested in and who have interest in it's health have to demand that it be protected and safe. The people physically destroying property and endangering innocent lives have to be dealt with, they've lost the plot and can not police themselves, they're very confused and misguided at best.

Maybe this is the goal but if these "rioters" continue unchecked there are people who will stop them. Good people who have too much to lose and who will do anything to defend themselves and those who deserve protection...

Update:
BBQ shop owner was the one to fire at the cops.... O.P. edited to include this link

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/03/us/kentucky-david-mcatee-shooting/index.html

Thanks for adding this...fucking shit show. I was reading reddit (bad idea) the other day and NOTHING about this situation made any sense. Police took fire, they returned fire, and then somehow this "innocent" BBQ guy is dead for no reason. This story ran wild and people were foaming at the mouth, but something just didn't add up. Now we know why the guy was shot.

Thanks for adding this...fucking shit show. I was reading reddit (bad idea) the other day and NOTHING about this situation made any sense. Police took fire, they returned fire, and then somehow this "innocent" BBQ guy is dead for no reason. This story ran wild and people were foaming at the mouth, but something just didn't add up. Now we know why the guy was shot.
Yeah, when they said police opened fire in a crowd, I could see innocent people getting hit... But that is apparently not exactly what happened, and dangerously misleading.

Yeah, when they said police opened fire in a crowd, I could see innocent people getting hit... But that is apparently not exactly what happened, and dangerously misleading.

I hear you...over on Reddit this guy was championed as damned near the "pinnacle of humanity" with a heart of gold who served the folks of his community. I'm sure you won't get a reasonable response from people who were defending this guy, and instead you'll get more responses such as "who cares, what about this other guy" type responses. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some responses blaming Trump for the BBQ guy having to shoot at the National Guard.

I feel like we're all way too polarized right now; the media is outright lying to us, and we all know it, but we're falling for their bullshit and it's creating destruction among our communities.

Back