Golovkin would've had an even better career at 154

He was low 170s most of his career in the ring (173 against Rubio, 174 against Vanes, 170 against Macklin). You could say that was fairly similar to a guy like Hopkins in that he stayed in shape year round and didn't carry any non-essential weight at 160. He probably could've made the weight, but it would have been a decent cut (almost 20 pounds) and probably wouldn't have helped his longevity at all (or necessarily complimented his style which relied on outstanding stamina and durability). Throughout his MW career he was never really outsized, except against a huge MW in Jacobs (and it was more Jacobs' legs and boxing ability that gave him issues as opposed to pure size).

Basically, he wasn't ever really a small MW and amassed a HoF career there, so I don't see the point of him draining a ton of weight to fight in a less prestigious division.
the only reason golovkin has a HOF resumé is holding a belt for a long time. all the same performances against the same fighters but with no belt = just a decent resumé. his biggest career accomplishment is a draw against canelo which isn’t a good spot to be in, in hindsight. history won’t be kind to golovkin.

the only reason golovkin has a HOF resumé is holding a belt for a long time. all the same performances against the same fighters but with no belt = just a decent resumé. his biggest career accomplishment is a draw against canelo which isn’t a good spot to be in, in hindsight. history won’t be kind to golovkin.

Being the man in the division for a long time is still definitely a HoF resume. He's certainly not a top 5 MW all time, but he's definitely a HoFer. It's a bit unlucky that he came around at a time that the division was weak coupled with the fact that he was heavily avoided for periods.

The Canelo fights won't reflect poorly on him considering most thought he won the first fight (it was very tight, but I think he edged it) and the second was still pretty drawish, even if I gave the edge to Canelo. His resume will never match a guy like Canelo's, but to fare as well as he did against a near-prime Canelo (a guy who will likely be in contention for the moniker of greatest Mexican fighter ever by the time his career is over) when he was past 35 is certainly no bad thing.

They sometimes insist that Canelo had won vs Floyd Jr.
Less hardcore Canelo fans are defending a draw scorecard for their idol Brand in fight vs Floyd Jr.

You have any examples of this, or are you just making it up because you don’t like Canelo?

You have any examples of this, or are you just making it up because you don’t like Canelo?
I'm not unpaid secretary for forums posters like you.
Nope, I can't hate boxer, regardless is he amateur or a pro and regardless his origin etc alike stuff.
Canelo does cherry picks and use all A side advantages he is able to use as business brand and is OLNY Nevada and Texas champ nothing more than just this for me.
At least for me.
Yeah, I might respect even Wilder more than Canelo and even if Fury will KO him in their 3 rd fight this will not change for me: Canelo is Nevada and Texas champ. Noting more.
This at least doesn't jump between weight classes and while post fight talks were LOL level during long months, yeah, Wilder likes me more than Canelo.

Being the man in the division for a long time is still definitely a HoF resume. He's certainly not a top 5 MW all time, but he's definitely a HoFer. It's a bit unlucky that he came around at a time that the division was weak coupled with the fact that he was heavily avoided for periods.

The Canelo fights won't reflect poorly on him considering most thought he won the first fight (it was very tight, but I think he edged it) and the second was still pretty drawish, even if I gave the edge to Canelo. His resume will never match a guy like Canelo's, but to fare as well as he did against a near-prime Canelo (a guy who will likely be in contention for the moniker of greatest Mexican fighter ever by the time his career is over) when he was past 35 is certainly no bad thing.
not to mention a solid portion of his 154-168 pound peers (canelo, charlo, cotto, ward, etc) jumped up in weight and had great success while he never did. he hung around in the weak division while SMW was king (froch, ward, abraham, miranda, etc) and when MW became stacked, he fought canelo & lost.

not trying to pick apart his resumé on purpose but these are qualms that don’t exist with a lot of other “hall of famers”

His resume will never match a guy like Canelo's,
Resume is stuff usable for pro US boxers biased fans.
The Canelo fights won't reflect poorly on him considering most thought he won the first fight (it was very tight, but I think he edged it) and the second was still pretty drawish, even if I gave the edge to Canelo.

Well, if consider this new business brands developing process with cherry picking, Mosley might be best expample of cherry picker's career for Canelo brand. With a glance.
38 y.o Mosley who was too small for Canelo and was not able to win even 1 from his last 3 fights was most likely enough suitable and enough small uncle for New Brand.
While 36 y.o Floyd Jr had spanked this pupp, I had scored for Floyd Jr 8 rounds, for Canelo 4 rounds.
This didn't had prevented one judge to score this spanking as a draw.
Later looks that judges selection for Big Brand fights had been more successful.
No problems, pro boxing is business, GGG vs Canelo cards I treat like pure amusement, like some other Canelo fights cards not only these above mentioned fights.

To win Canelo in US you need to KO him and hope not to get DQed.
Canelo is big business brand.
Business brands are actors, musicians etc, ofc also dudes like Canelo.
Nothing bad, it is real life.

not to mention a solid portion of his 154-168 pound peers (canelo, charlo, cotto, ward, etc) jumped up in weight and had great success while he never did.
Why should GGG had jumped to 175 lbs? If he never had any problems to make 160 lbs weight in and looked fresh in fight night? He now soon will be 40 y.o btw.

Might he had beat if in prime shape boxers like DM, prime Kovalev, Gvozdyk, Beterbiev when he was not over the hill?
I don't think.

Canelo had jumped up to cherry pick half alive long over the hill Kovalev with short camp after hard fight.
Jump up / down. up / down. Clauses, hometown fights. God had been created, LOL.
Cool choice.
DM, Gvozdyk, prime Beterbiev etc 175 lbers had smashed this Kovalev with no problems.
Yarde in their 2 nd fight too.
What achievement. Jump up and down and to be Nevada and Texas champ and tickets seller.
Yeah, Canelo even had waited until by his assumptions GGG will be enough old for him not to get KOed, on home town cards Canelo ofc can't lost any 1 fight.

I'm not unpaid secretary for forums posters like you.
Nope, I can't hate boxer, regardless is he amateur or a pro and regardless his origin etc alike stuff.
Canelo does cherry picks and use all A side advantages he is able to use as business brand and is OLNY Nevada and Texas champ nothing more than just this for me.
At least for me.
Yeah, I might respect even Wilder more than Canelo and even if Fury will KO him in their 3 rd fight this will not change for me: Canelo is Nevada and Texas champ. Noting more.
This at least doesn't jump between weight classes and while post fight talks were LOL level during long months, yeah, Wilder likes me more than Canelo.

So you were making it up.

Serious question - why do you bother watching boxing and spending time on this forum. Neither seem to give you any pleasure.

I'm assuming Golovkin fought at his most comfortable weight which was most likely the smartest move. I'm sure he could have gone down one more division if he really wanted to but some guys cut too much weight and I think it can hurt them in the end.

So you were making it up.
I'm not unpaid secretary for guys like you.
All fans in Vegas does know what does mean term: Canelo score cards and cherry picking.
Starting with famous draw card vs Floyd Jr from 1 judge, later looks that he had 2 judges atter this.
Floyd Jr spanked him and one judge had scored this as a draw.
Golovkin spanked him in first fight and get a draw. Pro boxing is only entertainment BUSINESS, nothing more.:D
NOTHING MORE.
Btw these are not only 3 fights where Canelo score cards had been discussed.

You for sure are banned to use google and US based media.
Serious question - why do you bother watching boxing and spending time on this forum. Neither seem to give you any pleasure.
Not all ppl here are like you.

You know what, I think you're right. Resumes and achievements don't really matter in boxing, or any other sport.
Yes, does not matter.
Stuff that does matter is popularity and ability to sell ppvs etc like stuff.
This is reason why guys with 0-0-0 pro boxing records might earn more than for example Rigo for fight vs Loma etc alike fights.

$ = core value.
YT lad vs retired MMA fighter with primary basis = grappling had proved this in boxing fight.
Then there are some next examples, soon it will be normal and causal thing and nothing will prevent this.
Don't hope that this is not reality.

This most likely even will be better for boxing than these hometown pro champs with their weird fanbases.

It will be new life, fresh stuff for boxing and it will be future for this sport during next 10-20 years.

Boring ABC belts, x or xx months long talks, belts milking, brands etc. All this is more boring than some popular YT lads in the ring.

There's no levels to the Hall of Fame, you're either in or out, and Golovkin is going to be in. I could make the case for him as a top 8-9 or so best MW of all time, that's not shabby at all. I'd put RJJ, Hagler, Monzon, SRR, Greb, Hopkins, above him and I'm probably forgetting a couple names. I'm not sure you could put him much below 10 all time at MW. That's a great career, so I guess I'm not understanding the thread.

I bet that would have been an issue weight wise

I agree, he's totally irrelevant.. I can't imagine people opening threads about him in 2021 and discussing his legacy.

He was a good champion with solid power, but he's not your Julian Jackson type that people still talk about, Julian never let's you forget his incredible power, GGG doesn't have that type of mark on people Canelo will be remembered more then GGG, but even he will eventually be forgotten he's not beating the all time greats anyway in Thread, of legendary match-ups I just don't see even future Threads about Canelo being relevant.

I see him as undefeated. I’ve never seen GGG lose. He is far from his prime and has been for a while, this includes his fights from jacobs to date. But still I’ve never seen him lose. Bunch of shit judges aren’t going to change my mind.

You know what, I think you're right. Resumes and achievements don't really matter in boxing, or any other sport.
the worst thing here is I actually do agree that resume reading tends to be pretty biased among Americans because there are tons of fighters that are great that get discredited because they never fought on US network TV (this isn't a solely american thing, it just happens to be really bad with American fans), but even if you're not biased or if you have a good understanding of a fighters value, GGG's resume still isn't that good. It's dominant, with a few elite performances (Canelo and Jacobs) plus some other good b-tier wins, but it isn't enough to warrant being ahead of Canelo or being regarded as an ATG IMO.

He for sure might had get some very good fights during timeframe when he was young, fresh and based in Germany.
They did not had gave him such fights.
GGG then moved to US. Cos they had marinated him in Germany.
Maybe cos his origin?

he should’ve gone up to 168, has the power and the chin

Back