Good way to wrap hands but still make a natural fist?

ImmigrantMentality

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was watching the jre episode with Gaethje and Trevor Whitman. Whitman who has his own equipment company started talking about how wraps sometimes only make things worse and reminded me how I injured my wrist after I began wearing wraps when I had previously not worn any. I think maybe the issue might have been what he was talking about as I was unable to make a good natural fist. Is anyone aware of any good techniques for wrapping hands but still maintaining a natural fist?

Like most people, I have tried a few different ways. Lately, I have been using this method along with the Winning gel pads. There may be other gel pads out there, so I don't think the brand matters. They just happen to be what I can buy locally.

I like this method with the gel pad because it leaves less material going around the palm of your hand.
This also leaves more of the material for wrapping around the wrist.

For me the gel pad allows for the best of both worlds; knuckle protection as well as plenty of extra wrap material for wrist stability.

I've seen too many tutorials I disagree with. My rule is leave the palm open, below that line located near the middle of your hand. you want to create a little grip bar. just scrolling through youtube videos, skipping to the end product, this one seems okay:

couple of things:
- make sure your hands are warmed up. pros have their hands massaged, blood flowing, so the hand is already in a semi expanded state. don't wrap totally cold hands.
- wraps are not supposed to protect your knuckles. wraps are meant to hold all the bones in your hand together make sure that when you punch, everything stays in line. like an ankle brace. Limits mobility, but not supposed to really provide padding. Knuckle guards should really only be used imo if the glove gives you enough room and if you can't heal properly. if there is actual damage, rest, don't hit anything. hand strengthening exercises are great, rice, other things.

-gloves that have a ton of padding, especially bouncy foam, will wreck your joints. I used the old supposedly great ringside IMFs for my first couple of years, by year 3, couldn't hit the heavybag because of the pain in joints. that entire year, hit only the double end bag. it wasn't until 2 years later, after stopping use of any big gloves that I picked up a pair of old school SGM Tuf Wear made in nebraska mitts. no wraps. sure, knuckles were sore after the first few times, but those gloves actually taught me how to punch again. and then, another setback in my basically dislocating my wrist after going too hard without wraps, excited that the knuckle and joint pain had gone away. that was on an uneven bag.

fast forward to right before covid. i do wrap and i use bag mitts exclusively on the heavybag. unfortunately, none of the current offerings emulate the real good stuff from old, the SGMs and the 4305s from Everlast. Good luck.

Side note - I know of this kid, Daniel. Think he's the one whose career ended early due to damage from a fight.

Technique first, second, and third. and fourth. don't care how you look and don't try to move too fast. once you land through the center of that bag, and you feel it, the collision between you (the unstoppable) and the bag (semi-unmovable), you will know. that's all that matters. oh yeah, and keep your hands up.

I've seen too many tutorials I disagree with. My rule is leave the palm open, below that line located near the middle of your hand. you want to create a little grip bar. just scrolling through youtube videos, skipping to the end product, this one seems okay:

couple of things:
- make sure your hands are warmed up. pros have their hands massaged, blood flowing, so the hand is already in a semi expanded state. don't wrap totally cold hands.
- wraps are not supposed to protect your knuckles. wraps are meant to hold all the bones in your hand together make sure that when you punch, everything stays in line. like an ankle brace. Limits mobility, but not supposed to really provide padding. Knuckle guards should really only be used imo if the glove gives you enough room and if you can't heal properly. if there is actual damage, rest, don't hit anything. hand strengthening exercises are great, rice, other things.

-gloves that have a ton of padding, especially bouncy foam, will wreck your joints. I used the old supposedly great ringside IMFs for my first couple of years, by year 3, couldn't hit the heavybag because of the pain in joints. that entire year, hit only the double end bag. it wasn't until 2 years later, after stopping use of any big gloves that I picked up a pair of old school SGM Tuf Wear made in nebraska mitts. no wraps. sure, knuckles were sore after the first few times, but those gloves actually taught me how to punch again. and then, another setback in my basically dislocating my wrist after going too hard without wraps, excited that the knuckle and joint pain had gone away. that was on an uneven bag.

fast forward to right before covid. i do wrap and i use bag mitts exclusively on the heavybag. unfortunately, none of the current offerings emulate the real good stuff from old, the SGMs and the 4305s from Everlast. Good luck.

Side note - I know of this kid, Daniel. Think he's the one whose career ended early due to damage from a fight.

I like that bit about warming up your hands/ hand massage. When I used to box I would try to use as little wrap on the palm area as possible. I try to leave the palm open and layer my knuckles a few times with the wraps, then finish up well on the wrist.
When I get back in the gym I might try out some knuckle pads, but I never liked gel products. Maybe there are some good cotton ones or something.

Bag mitts are also an interesting idea. There must be a reason old tyme boxers used them. Of course they will promote good punching technique without all that extra protection.
Also idk why my coach never told me to use 12 oz gloves on the bag. 16 oz is just too heavy. No point. Just unnecessary strain on the shoulders.
One more thing: I always thought those wrap gloves were useless for serious training .

Back