Google Stadia ***Update: Google shutting down the service***

That is what they have been doing with Google Fiber. They have been preparing the rollout. As some point you need to start recouping investment.

have they? because it seemed like a big deal a few years ago when they started implementing it... but then it seemed like it was just for a couple cities and they more/less stopped. at the moment, it appears it's only in 11 cities.

i understand wanting a return on investment. but i also understand how this can blow up in their faces and make for a bad situation.

have they? because it seemed like a big deal a few years ago when they started implementing it... but then it seemed like it was just for a couple cities and they more/less stopped. at the moment, it appears it's only in 11 cities.

i understand wanting a return on investment. but i also understand how this can blow up in their faces and make for a bad situation.
You were asking about small rollouts. I pointed out this was part of their overall strategy. I don't think you read the Wiki I linked, nor do I believe you are familiar with the strategies/concepts outlined in it, and how they bear on this issue.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes... I remember OnLive. More than just how well it will do, what will publishers and devs get from it... if you look at Spotify a negligible sum of money goes to the artist.

I don't like streaming games, services could just dissappear and all of a sudden you got nothing, or they could just remove games that you like or are currently playing from the library. I'm pretty sure I'll never get a streaming service for games, I'll just play old games if that is one day all we are left with.

Good hot take on this service by madlittlepixel.

Lineup of games is solid. Baldur's Gate 3 was a good surprise.

I think we’re still a ways off from having a reliable gaming streaming service. Especially with online multiplayer. But I do think it’s the future in probably 5 years or so. People like options and streaming services provide those options. Sometimes I sit down to play a FPS only to get bored and switch to another genre. Same thing happens when I’m streaming TV shows.

As far as owning the games. I think you’re putting your trust in Google that they won’t fail the same way you put your trust into Steam or the Epic store.

You were asking about small rollouts. I pointed out this was part of their overall strategy. I don't think you read the Wiki I linked, nor do I believe you are familiar with the strategies/concepts outlined in it, and how they bear on this issue.

i'm familiar, i just disagree/haven't seen evidence to support this here. i don't think google's really adopting this approach with the way they've marketed stadia so far. perhaps i missed something, but i didn't see/hear anything about regional rollouts (ie: cities with google fiber/etc), only that it would be limited to a few countries at launch. they seem to be both expecting and promoting for high demand.

while i have doubts as to the efficacy of this platform, anyway, i think they might be setting themselves up for failure with the approach they've taken.

you mentioned not having great internet infrastructure. but you know this and what to expect. most in the usa have relatively lousy internet... but also don't realize the extent. if the dazn/espn+ ('their service sucks! buffering!') threads here are any indication, there's going to be a LOT of hate coming google's way. a wave of damnation reviews/internet lynch mob could pretty much wipe out the whole project. having destiny 2 (for 2 reasons - being a fps [where lag is most noticeable] and a game that was already free on ps+ and steam) as the initial launch freebie shows they either are ignorant of this or they have some sort of solution for latency that would seem like wizardry.

and if so, i sure hope it's not 'predictive mode' (ie: desync hell).

I might. I don't have time to play games as much as I used to and don't like the idea of spending 500 dollars or more on hardware + gold or ps+ subscription on top. I'll wait until it comes out and see what the games library looks like and what the latency is.

zkbgiaihvv231.png

the more i look at this, the more i'm convinced some genius at google tried to find a way to justify the amount they spent to set up fiber in the 11 cities and this idea came about, and then it got out of hand/they decided to try to get 'look at me, i'm a gamer!' (ie: angry birds/candy crush) to waste money on this.

which could work. i guess.

i just can't figure out why anyone with current gen consoles or an adequate pc would want to jump on this for anything other than curiosity.

i'm familiar, i just disagree/haven't seen evidence to support this here. i don't think google's really adopting this approach with the way they've marketed stadia so far. perhaps i missed something, but i didn't see/hear anything about regional rollouts (ie: cities with google fiber/etc), only that it would be limited to a few countries at launch. they seem to be both expecting and promoting for high demand.

while i have doubts as to the efficacy of this platform, anyway, i think they might be setting themselves up for failure with the approach they've taken.

you mentioned not having great internet infrastructure. but you know this and what to expect. most in the usa have relatively lousy internet... but also don't realize the extent. if the dazn/espn+ ('their service sucks! buffering!') threads here are any indication, there's going to be a LOT of hate coming google's way. a wave of damnation reviews/internet lynch mob could pretty much wipe out the whole project. having destiny 2 (for 2 reasons - being a fps [where lag is most noticeable] and a game that was already free on ps+ and steam) as the initial launch freebie shows they either are ignorant of this or they have some sort of solution for latency that would seem like wizardry.

and if so, i sure hope it's not 'predictive mode' (ie: desync hell).
I'm not seeing comprehension of that Wiki's bearing on this issue.
the more i look at this, the more i'm convinced some genius at google tried to find a way to justify the amount they spent to set up fiber in the 11 cities and this idea came about, and then it got out of hand/they decided to try to get 'look at me, i'm a gamer!' (ie: angry birds/candy crush) to waste money on this.

which could work. i guess.

i just can't figure out why anyone with current gen consoles or an adequate pc would want to jump on this for anything other than curiosity.
Let's see. Let's think about that like scientists. Does this hypothesis explain why Microsoft started Project xCloud, why NVIDIA started GeForce Now, and why the company Shadow exists?

No, no, and no. Back to square one.

I'm not seeing comprehension of that Wiki's bearing on this issue.

i'm not convinced this is their strategy. further, i'm not convinced it's a good strategy for a company with their bankroll (and marketing so far).

Let's see. Let's think about that like scientists. Does this hypothesis explain why Microsoft started Project xCloud, why NVIDIA started GeForce Now, and why the company Shadow exists?

No, no, and no. Back to square one.

and they're all crap.

i'm not convinced this is their strategy. further, i'm not convinced it's a good strategy for a company with their bankroll (and marketing so far).
Your opinion isn't relevant to demonstrating that you understand the nature of these strategies, and how they bear on Stadia.
and they're all crap.
Yet none of them fit your conspiracy theory about Google Fiber.

Maybe spend a bit more time in the phase where you hatch your hypotheses. I recommend that you acquire more data before forming them.

Your opinion isn't relevant to demonstrating that you understand the nature of these strategies, and how they bear on Stadia.

you're not my prof. i have no reason to demonstrate knowledge of these strategies to you. i already explained cart before the horse and that i think it's a mistake to launch a service like this when there's virtually no infrastructure to support it. especially when google has an enormous bankroll and a history of vaporware and abandonedware.

apparently, google claimed the latency is 'only' 120ms with stadia. but, of course, i have no idea what those conditions are supposed to be/where the 120 comes from.

imo, 120ms is just too crappy of a baseline, anyway.

Yet none of them fit your conspiracy theory about Google Fiber

Maybe spend a bit more time in the phase where you hatch your hypotheses. I recommend that you acquire more data before forming them.

"conspiracy"

that was quasi-facetious. but the fact remains that their fiber project has moved along at a snail's pace.

(timestamped) when every other streaming service can't solve the riddle of latency and nvidia couldn't handle it (even locally, apparently)... i can't fathom how stadia is supposed to. the infrastructure is what it is... and it's going to cause the same bottlenecks/latency as with everything else. maybe this can work if one's in a google fiber city, but for the other 99%...

(timestamped) when every other streaming service can't solve the riddle of latency and nvidia couldn't handle it (even locally, apparently)... i can't fathom how stadia is supposed to. the infrastructure is what it is... and it's going to cause the same bottlenecks/latency as with everything else. maybe this can work if one's in a google fiber city, but for the other 99%...

Yep like I said earlier these types of games wont work for this setup right now. Not sure when it will be ready for something like this but now isn't the time.

I might grab one at launch. It looks like google is all-in and is working hard to get developers onboard. If any company is capable of pulling this off, it's google. They have the tech and the money to throw at developers to make games for it.

you're not my prof. i have no reason to demonstrate knowledge of these strategies to you.
You don't understand them. You need that Wiki explained to you. That's apparent.
I already explained cart before the horse and that i think it's a mistake to launch a service like this when there's virtually no infrastructure to support it. especially when google has an enormous bankroll and a history of vaporware and abandonedware.

apparently, google claimed the latency is 'only' 120ms with stadia. but, of course, i have no idea what those conditions are supposed to be/where the 120 comes from.

imo, 120ms is just too crappy of a baseline, anyway.

"conspiracy"

that was quasi-facetious. but the fact remains that their fiber project has moved along at a snail's pace.

Now you're attempting to pivot. A minute ago you were casting the conspiracy in ignorance that this project exists to justify Google Fiber, oblivious to the fact that many other companies have been positioning themselves to compete in this developing market; you backpedal here by saying you were being "quasi-facetious". No, it was ventured in sincerity, even if tentatively, and was simply ignorant. You realize this after the fact. Good. This concession towards understanding is progress that normally you resist. Before that you appeared to struggle with the possibility this would ever be viable at all.

Everyone is aware that the latency isn't there for local PC or console quality performance yet. Here's a post I made last December that most likely predates any other on this forum outlining this truth in concrete detail, down to pixel counts and bitrates, while challenging the optimistic sell of the Linus video (I have re-posted ITT) that brought it:
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/147368905/
Google is known for throwing a million ideas at the wall, and often not executing them well. They're known for bad timing, and tackling some ideas too early, before returning to revisit them later. Nevertheless, this idea will require a major company like them with the financial power to build the infrastructure previously discussed, and it's going to become the new standard. Even if it is only viable in optimal conditions as Linus was afforded during his test run...there is your first step. The challenge then is expand this environment.

PSNow is another iteration of this technology that is still in its infancy. Even Sony recognizes the threat to their console model.

Back