Google Stadia ***Update: Google shutting down the service***

they should launch with more original titles instead of a bunch of games already available on every other console. The one original game they announced comes out in 2020.... not sure why people would want this when the switch has some of these games for on the go that you own and dont need wifi for... and Ps4 and xbox has the others... not sure why I would want it.

I do think this is the future of gaming but the timing and set up seems bad.

Last edited:
this shit AGAIN? @Madmick reads into a joke and goes through the joke and into speculation about tin foil... taking it too literally... while failing to take his keyword literally.

"conspiracy" "pivot"
MF0qT3I.gif

and yet, my posts are pretty consistent and shockingly refrain from accusations of plotting to engage in crime.

they should launch with more original titles instead of a bunch of games already available on every other console. The one original game they announced comes out in 2020.... not sure why people would want this when the switch has some of these games for on the go , that you own and dont need wifi for... and Ps4 and xbox has the others... not sure why I would want it.

I do think this is the future of gaming but the timing and set up seems bad.
Here's the real issue at launch if we are talking logistics. They have no content, and they don't have a user base.

PSNow has over some 96m PS4 owners (they can also deliver to some 1.22bn PC owners though probably fewer than 100m of these have adequate hardware and internet connectivity to use the service).

Microsoft is going after that same PC user base. Of course, they own the dominant portal to PC gaming with their Windows operating system.

NVIDIA holds partnership in a vast library of highly demanding games where the service is really compelling because you actually require the compression; otherwise, why would someone care if their smartphone can run the game? They also have all the owners of NVIDIA Shields when that product was primarily sold as a device for a separate market (HTPC functionality).

Apple hasn't yet stepped into this, because they are first going to build a user base with their Apple Arcade service. Cloud compression that can deliver more demanding games to local hardware can't run by itself is sure to follow. Bank on it.

I'm willing to bet Tencent will step in sometime in the next half decade, too. They own Epic and the Epic store. Their greatest advantage is that they have access to the Chinese market that is blocked from the rest of the world. Their disadvantage is that they don't tend to be good at innovating world-leading software engineering. They have to "partner" with western companies, first, in order to copy. Otherwise, China & Chinese companies are notorious for IP & corporate theft.

So the real issue is what is their selling point? They aren't marketing the Google Stadia itself as an HTPC device. Their user base is the billions of Android smartphone users out there, but unfortunately, this user base isn't that big if we count Pixel (or Chromecast 4K) owners only. But this is where they are starting. In several years even devices like the budget Moto G line will have adequate power to be the receiver. It's practically there now.

Last edited:
Tried Playstation Now on my 100mbit connection and it was ASS. If this is even half as ass it's not a viable option for me.

Microsoft's response at E3:

Least the coroner will have a cause of death for Gamestop now.

Tried Playstation Now on my 100mbit connection and it was ASS. If this is even half as ass it's not a viable option for me.
If you tried it on an original PS4 over wireless that's probably why. It only has 2.4 band not 5 band for wireless. Data limit maxes at 54 mbps, but actual through put is closer to 20 mbps.

Microsoft’s xCloud can’t and shouldn’t be compared with Google Stadia right now
xCloud and Stadia are at vastly different stages of development, and aren’t even directly competing right now
The Verge said:
This might be the part of the article where you’d expect a hands-on comparison of xCloud and Stadia, with a list of pros and cons, like which service will have more and better games. You might have read an article or two already comparing the latency levels and debating which will win the impending cloud gaming race.

I’m not going to do that. I do have hands-on impressions with both Stadia and xCloud: They both work, they’re both impressive, and I’ll share more below. But you can’t properly compare xCloud with Stadia right now, and trying to do so is unfair to both Microsoft and Google.

Here’s why.

sheild-1140x650.jpg

Updated: Nvidia Shield TV refresh is in the works with a new controller, better performance and possible Stadia support
Digital Fix said:
Nvidia are reported to be working on a modestly refreshed version of their Shield TV console. The Android TV powered device has a solid following and offers one of the best Android TV experiences being placed as both a respectable streaming device AND a big-screen Android-powered gaming platform.

The news that a new version of the console is being worked on is no huge surprise, but it'll generally not be a huge jump up from the current model, which itself was a refresh. We're expecting similar options in terms of storage but the central Tegra X1 CPU will run at a higher clock speed meaning there will be a performance boost. The new Shield TV will also be certified for the latest version of Android TV (based on Android 9.0 Pie) - it may well be that previous versions of the console will not support the most up-to-date Android iteration. It should be noted however that this is by no means anything near a new generation of the console.

What is interesting is that one person we've spoken to has told us that this is being developed to launch later this year and that Nvidia are eyeing up Google's Stadia as a source of new owners. The idea being that Nvidia will offer both the Stadia streaming experience alongside the gaming and TV streaming options that the current Shield TV offers. The new Shield TV will also feature a more streamlined controller and more advanced remote. A new controller would make a lot of sense - the existing Shield controller works well enough but it's not the most ergonomic of gaming peripherals.

Similarly, we hear that there will be a controller-free model for those who already have a Stadia controller connected to their home wifi. Our contact suggests that Nvidia are going to position the new Nvidia Shield TV as your central Stadia supporting entertainment hub as they plan to offer both all of the streaming functionality of a Chromecast Ultra with the full set-top box Android TV interface.

The Nvidia Shield TV has offered streamed gaming for a while using both Nvidia's cloud gaming service GeForce NOW or by your gaming PC as a source via Steam, so it's extremely logical for Nvidia to look to both embrace and capitalise on all of the Stadia talk even if it does eat into the GeForce NOW market share. We're expecting more info to come soon - if Nvidia can bring on board a few more TV streaming partners they could well end up creating a real alternative platform for those who would rather stream their games than own them.
Digital Trends had a more skeptical take that it doesn't make sense for NVIDIA to eat into their GeForce Now market, and I favor their argument. This doesn't seem to make sense to me unless NVIDIA intends to abandon that project, and there have been no signs this is the case. DT also opined that it doesn't make sense for Google to position the upcoming NVIDIA Shield as the flagship to the service since the grand selling point of the service is the promise to eliminate consoles and expensive hardware from the game delivery equation.

Nevertheless, Phone Arena also reports there is a new controller in the works for the upcoming revision to the Shield, which has long dominated all the other non-PC HTPC options on the market in terms of overall capability, but that the cheapest variant will come without a controller in case customers order a Stadia controller.

I'm a bit nervous about the XDA leaked report the upcoming revision will be virtually identical to the current 2nd-Gen NVIDIA Shield, but with a "tweaked" Tegra X1 processor. Optimists believe this may be to achieve the same performance at lower temps and power draws, but the cynic in me fears a new security lockdown intended to thwart rooting of the device:
https://www.xda-developers.com/nvidia-shield-android-tv-refreshed-tegra-x1/

"We get the data, the video, from our data center to your eyeball quicker than your eyeball to brain to nervous system to finger," he said. "The human operating system is the slowest part of the [Stadia] operating system. Some humans are slower than others."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/g...cally-sur/1100-6465737/?utm_source=reddit.com

Is this the new "We dont need to go higher than 60 frames per second. For the human eye cant see the difference." bullshit excuse?

"We get the data, the video, from our data center to your eyeball quicker than your eyeball to brain to nervous system to finger," he said. "The human operating system is the slowest part of the [Stadia] operating system. Some humans are slower than others."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/g...cally-sur/1100-6465737/?utm_source=reddit.com

Is this the new "We dont need to go higher than 60 frames per second. For the human eye cant see the difference." bullshit excuse?

Kind of, because the “human operating system” is a factor in any gaming device. The question isn’t “is Stadia faster than humans”, but “is Stadia + humans faster than local processing + humans.”

Kind of, because the “human operating system” is a factor in any gaming device. The question isn’t “is Stadia faster than humans”, but “is Stadia + humans faster than local processing + humans.”
Indeed, and that's Kane's implication.

After all, this is like measuring a sprinter's start off the block, with two different guns, when the gun named Stadia takes .09s longer than the gun named Local Hardware. The average sprinter takes .10s to react and launch after hearing the gun. So Google says, "See? We're faster than the sprinter's reaction."

Except it's a race off the block, there is only one winner, and the racer starting on the Stadia gun is hearing his gunshot .09s later. Assuming sprinters of equal reaction time he loses that race 100% of the time.

It's headshots all day for Local Hardware.

This seems another Google glass. Interesting idea with potential but not properly implemented, released at the wrong time and doomed to failure. I don't see any large subset of gamers being interested in this. Not when you have to buy the games.

I don't see any large subset of gamers being interested in this.

Its very weird. So when you add the upfront cost of the hardware and mandated subscription service on top of needing to purchase games at full price. Thats a very narrow demographic Stadia are targeting.

This seems another Google glass. Interesting idea with potential but not properly implemented, released at the wrong time and doomed to failure. I don't see any large subset of gamers being interested in this. Not when you have to buy the games.
As I wrote in the other thread all of these companies are attempting to rope consumers into helping finance the R&D for a future technology rather than financing it themselves.

As I see it the ultimate stage of development will be when this service comes installed in TVs like Smart TVs that already carry HTPC capability out of the box. It doesn't require powerful hardware; the most demanding aspect, really, is the networking card built into the chipset. All it needs is this chipset + the software. Then you subscribe to whatever service is offered on that particular TV.

At that point every TV sold will be a gaming console ready to go.

So let me get this straight...

You have a to pay a service subscription fee + full priced games + you can only stream the games.

That about right, or am I missing something?

Something like Xcloud is a lot more appealing personally because of versatility. If I had somewhat capable hardware, then I can choose between streaming a game at a higher resolution with fancy settings enabled versus running a fighting game locally with decreased settings but better latency.

Back