Got elbowed super hard in training

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
The guy had an elbow pad but I felt his elbow through it. It wasn’t a very thick pad. I feel like if people are gonna throw elbowswith full power they should have thick pads. These normal elbow pads are just not enough imo.

My nose instantly started leaking and my nose is super tender and soft now, maybe slightly swollen. I figure I’m out of sparring for a good 2 weeks now, what do you think?

Last edited:
The guy had an elbow pad but I felt his elbow through it. It wasn’t a very thick pad. I feel like if people are gonna throw elbowswith full power they should have thick pads. These normal elbow pads are just not enough imo.

My nose instantly started leaking and my nose is super tender and soft now, maybe slightly swollen. I figure I’m out of sparring for a good 2 weeks now, what do you think?
Go to the doctor ASAP. Even POTENTIAL nose problems will outweigh the loss of a few hours of your time now.

Personaly I don't think people should throw elbows at their sparring partner's head at all during sparring - we now have heard of cte and it is too easy to hit too hard when u use your elbow.

Go to the doctor ASAP. Even POTENTIAL nose problems will outweigh the loss of a few hours of your time now.
It’s not that bad. Just tender as fook. I don’t think doctors can really do anything and my nose isn’t dented or crooked or having trouble breathing. It was a lead elbow but still super hard through the pad

Personaly I don't think people should throw elbows at their sparring partner's head at all during sparring - we now have heard of cte and it is too easy to hit too hard when u use your elbow.

In Thailand, or with guys I coach, you either begin the motion and call the elbow without actually following through, or you do a sort of 'slap' with your upper arm, similar to how you slap the inside of your thigh rather than throw a real knee

People really shouldn't fuck around with legit elbows

In Thailand, or with guys I coach, you either begin the motion and call the elbow without actually following through, or you do a sort of 'slap' with your upper arm, similar to how you slap the inside of your thigh rather than throw a real knee

I have had one guy I was sparring with me tell me off for even appearing to throw an elbow although I was just simulating it by beginning the motion and had no intention of completing it. I could see his point. In my gym an elbow is taken very seriously indeed as a hostile act especially if the sparring partner isn't accustomed to us...

Yeah I feel like that’s how it should be done. Or throw them soft or something. That’s just how mma gyms are. You have guys putting on shitty elbow pads throwing 100% standing elbows and ground and pound elbows. Pretty fuckin ridiculous man.

Now I’m out for who knows how long god damn it

I have had one guy I was sparring with me tell me off for even appearing to throw an elbow although I was just simulating it by beginning the motion and had no intention of completing it. I could see his point. In my gym an elbow is taken very seriously indeed as a hostile act especially if the sparring partner isn't accustomed to us...
Yeah, you gotta factor in gym culture and also the coach.My guys are not yet at the level where they're allowed to fight with elbows, but when they're sparring in the ring and supervising, I'm happy for them to show them. I get why other coaches may be a bit more conservative on it, it's just not personally how I do
I get why the person you were sparring with might have panicked. People trust me to throw 'mock' elbows if I'm sparring with them because if they don't know I'm a coach there, they at least know that I'm always around and I'm pretty goofy sparring, but I can see where people might panic

Let alone CTE, the chance of getting badly cut from an elbow is just too high. Remember, a bad cut, even when it heals, can be a serious lifelong problem if you intend to train seriously.

Sounds like he was an arsehole. 100% get it checked out.
Hope you heal up well mate, all that time off from doing the training you want to do just because some dickhead can't control himself.

Sounds like he followed through. You can train elbows when sparring as long as you think of it as like a contact thing. We’ll toss an elbow out sparring but won’t torque our hips/shoulders and try to drive through. Either that or he grossly over estimated how much having an elbow pad on actually does. Or I could totally be wrong and your partner was just a dick. In which case a solid knee next time when you’re in elbow distance should get the point across.

As for the doctor thing that’s really up to you. It definitely couldn’t hurt to get an ENT dr to look at. It’s a good sign that it doesn’t bother you to breathe through it but there’s always the chance there’s some structural damage that can only get worse if you get popped again. Up to you.

Last edited:
Back