Got elbowed super hard in training

In Thailand, or with guys I coach, you either begin the motion and call the elbow without actually following through, or you do a sort of 'slap' with your upper arm, similar to how you slap the inside of your thigh rather than throw a real knee

People really shouldn't fuck around with legit elbows
This is the only way.
When we do more intense chi sau sparring/gor sau, elbows are obviously a no to do with any power or contact.
Especially when they are aimed primarily to the head or collarbone they are going to cause damage or break something if done with any kind of force.
Having elbow pads I would think is a false sense of security this is not a punch we are dealing with the force is much more.

Also you are not going to get your practice time in at that range if you are throwing elbows to connect the session will be over very quickly.

This is the only way.
When we do more intense chi sau sparring/gor sau, elbows are obviously a no to do with any power or contact.
Especially when they are aimed primarily to the head or collarbone they are going to cause damage or break something if done with any kind of force.
Having elbow pads I would think is a false sense of security this is not a punch we are dealing with the force is much more.

Also you are not going to get your practice time in at that range if you are throwing elbows to connect the session will be over very quickly.

Agree. I only think the elbow pads should be used when a guy has 5+ years of experience and really know what they're doing, because all that pad actually does is stop a cut - it does absolutely nothing to lesson the concussive force

Throwing elbows in sparring is safest when your sparring partner has headgear on, even then if you get caught in the nose like TS it could still do damage. On the ground for MMA type sparring you'd have to be a dick to throw them elbow pads or not, its too easy to cut someone, we throw kinda like shadow elbows from half guard or something just to let your partner know he's open for them but you don't make contact or follow through.

My nose instantly started leaking and my nose is super tender and soft now, maybe slightly swollen. I figure I’m out of sparring for a good 2 weeks now, what do you think?

I got kneed in the nose once while sparring, first and only time blood came out of my nose. I neglected seeing a doctor and now I got sinus infection much more frequently. Not the worst thing in the world, just something for you to ponder

I'm not very familiar with it. Too expensive?
it' funny, I was just watching this doc which was just released yesterday
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/the-healthcare-divide/

That’s just how mma gyms are

It's really hilarious that it's the same mentality here. Seems like international mma trait.

you're most likely right lol it's the same in most MMA gyms down here.

Personaly I don't think people should throw elbows at their sparring partner's head at all during sparring - we now have heard of cte and it is too easy to hit too hard when u use your elbow.
Agreed, most gyms I trained at didn't even throw uppercuts in sparring.

I don't liek when people throw spinning elbows. That is the only time I get annoyed. Also if you decide to throw elbows. You need to ask your sparring partner if it is ok and if they are wearing elbow pads too.

I’d almost prefer if a sparring partner threw elbows without an elbow pad on, I feel like that gives a false sense of how hard you can throw them.

Last edited:
The guy had an elbow pad but I felt his elbow through it. It wasn’t a very thick pad. I feel like if people are gonna throw elbowswith full power they should have thick pads. These normal elbow pads are just not enough imo.

My nose instantly started leaking and my nose is super tender and soft now, maybe slightly swollen. I figure I’m out of sparring for a good 2 weeks now, what do you think?
57 yr old former boxer here. Broke my nose sparring and just kept sparring. Didn't want to make a big deal out of it. This was before the smart advent of widespread nosebar use on headgear. We used to call them pu**y bars. Big mistake in thinking and smart fighters in training need to use them. Had a sinuplasty to be able to breath again. The doctor said I can have "cosmetic surgery" to correct the shape of it when I stop boxing. Had an additional sinuplasty when it was broke again. However, my last fight was when I was 52. The doctor said the scar tissue and bone loss required him to basically break my nose into small pieces and shape the nose for cosmetic purposes while still keeping the sinuses intact. I can remember people starring at my nose while talking to me. My wife really wanted me to get it fixed. Go to the doctor now. My nose used to whistle when I got going (exertion) and you know not to breath through your mouth when sparring or fighting. If you intent to spar or fight again you'll be glad you did.

Back