GOTY 2022 Announced; Total War: Warhammer III

Based on the released trailer and teaser it's certain we're going to see Kislev and Cathay added to the campaign as well as a major expansion to the Chaos forces. Probably a unique Chaos faction for each Chaos god instead of just one united faction. Also likely to see the Chaos Dwarves.

It also seems likely that all the previous factions from WH I and II will be included in this if not at release in an expanded DLC campaign like Mortal Empires for WH II.

Blood for the Blood God!

I've never played fantasy Total War. How does it compare to the historic games? Is it more like Warcraft/Starcraft?

I've never played fantasy Total War. How does it compare to the historic games? Is it more like Warcraft/Starcraft?
It’s not very similar at all. It’s like 200 times more awesome. Check out some videos, you get to move whole formations around as an army in medieval style battles, but with dinosaurs and hydras and shit fucking up their spearman

I remember one of our former coworkers used to paint Warhammer figurines and his new gf thought they were old kids toys and threw a bunch out, he was so upset he missed work. He was in his late 30s. Two thumbs up

I remember one of our former coworkers used to paint Warhammer figurines and his new gf thought they were old kids toys and threw a bunch out, he was so upset he missed work. He was in his late 30s. Two thumbs up
I would be pissed too. They are expensive to buy, the paint is expensive, and it takes time to paint. Drop kicks abound

<bball2>

I’ll never understand why women have this attitude that they’re entitled to just move in with a man and throw out his shit without checking with them. Like even if they were old kids toys in a box where does she think she gets the authority to throw something like that out? I don’t have very many of my kid toys, but I have a 31 year old ED-209 toy that my older brother got me for my fifth birthday that I still have. If my wife ever threw it out uppercuts would be filling the house.

I would be pissed too. They are expensive to buy, the paint is expensive, and it takes time to paint. Drop kicks abound
Yeah I remember him saying something about how expensive the individual paints were, it cost hundreds of dollars to get figurine-approved paint palettes larger than three or four hues

I need to put a little more time into TW2 before this comes out, it was a great game but the first strategy game I ever tried to play so I was pretty bad at it lol

I think one of my problems was that I jumped straight into the dark elf faction, which I hear was one of the harder ones, and also the fact that I suck at the game didn’t help either.. I lost pretty quickly on my first run and 2nd run I lasted longer but didn’t really make any progress on the main quest.

I think I’m gonna start up a dwarf campaign and try to really get going on that before 3 comes out so I won’t be hopeless at it lol

There are a bunch of 40k strategy games which have gotten good reviews and which you may like

Warhammer 40K: Mechanicus (Turn based tactical shooter like XCOM)
Warhammer 40K: Gladius (4X Grand Strategy like Civilization)
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 (Space based 40K strategy)
Warhammer 40K: Sanctus Reach (Turn based strategy with heavy gear like tanks and titans)
ofc the Dawn of War games
Gladius is pretty fun if you like 4x stuff. Haven't played much of mechanics yet.

I need to put a little more time into TW2 before this comes out, it was a great game but the first strategy game I ever tried to play so I was pretty bad at it lol

I think one of my problems was that I jumped straight into the dark elf faction, which I hear was one of the harder ones, and also the fact that I suck at the game didn’t help either.. I lost pretty quickly on my first run and 2nd run I lasted longer but didn’t really make any progress on the main quest.

I think I’m gonna start up a dwarf campaign and try to really get going on that before 3 comes out so I won’t be hopeless at it lol

Depending on which dark elf you picked, it can be one of the easiest or one of the hardest. Malekith is one of the strongest lords in the campaign mode because of his passive faction buffs and his in battle abilities. The rest of the dark elves are a lot more difficult because of their starting position on the map.

Dwarves are super easy for the most part because their armies are so strong in general, just expensive. One or two of the dwarf lords have a tricky start position, but if you play the main dwarf faction it's a piece of cake if you can survive the initial orc onslaught.

Basic dwarf warriors backed up by quarrelers and catapults can handle the majority of armies in the game with the right positioning.

Depending on which dark elf you picked, it can be one of the easiest or one of the hardest. Malekith is one of the strongest lords in the campaign mode because of his passive faction buffs and his in battle abilities. The rest of the dark elves are a lot more difficult because of their starting position on the map.

Dwarves are super easy for the most part because their armies are so strong in general, just expensive. One or two of the dwarf lords have a tricky start position, but if you play the main dwarf faction it's a piece of cake if you can survive the initial orc onslaught.

Basic dwarf warriors backed up by quarrelers and catapults can handle the majority of armies in the game with the right positioning.

99% sure I was malekith

So I guess I am just bad haha

Thanks for the tip about the dwarfs! I will get back on this weekend and start a new one up

99% sure I was malekith

Thanks for the tip about the dwarfs! I will get back on this weekend and start a new one up

Malekith's start can be a bit tricky if you're new to the game, but you basically just need to grind levels with him for a bit and he's a monster.

i tried to get into a TW game (don't remember which one, it was free from steam/somewhere) and i couldn't get past the controls (i hate wasd in rts thanks to starcraft, i guess). the footage i saw of tw:warhammer 2 looked pretty impressive, though.

but i also know zilch about the story/lore/series, aside from knowing their following is niche but rabid.

The gameplay is very similar to the historical Total War titles. I would say it's the most like Three Kingdoms.

The main difference is you have a lot overpowered units, heroes, and magic spells that change things a lot in battle and on the campaign map. The heroes can become one man armies on their own they're so strong.

The other real change is just how diverse the factions are. No copy pasted medieval armies all over the place. Every race, and even every faction of that race, have very unique and interesting mechanics which give the game tons of replay value.

99% sure I was malekith

I'd highly recommend high elves (Tyrion specifically) for your first campaign also.

Super easy unit roster, tons of money, very easy starting position and Tyrion is like the strongest melee fighter in the game. High elf influence mechanic is also very strong.

You can win the majority of fights in the game with just basic elf spearmen and elf bowmen while Tyrion beats the crap out of everyone ahead of your main line.

I'd highly recommend high elves (Tyrion specifically) for your first campaign also.

Super easy unit roster, tons of money, very easy starting position and Tyrion is like the strongest melee fighter in the game. High elf influence mechanic is also very strong.

You can win the majority of fights in the game with just basic elf spearmen and elf bowmen while Tyrion beats the crap out of everyone ahead of your main line.

so u send ur lord out in front?

I always had my lord just standing behind my army and I only really used them to chase down the opposing lords after battle.

I remember my main problem I had on my 2nd run was being ambushed or trapped after battles where my army was depleted or recovering. Sometimes I would have to fight like 3 battles to make it back to base. I remember doing well against the skaven but when the bull guys started ambushing me and coming via water that’s when I lost quickly. I was not prepared at all for that lol

so u send ur lord out in front?

I always had my lord just standing behind my army and I only really used them to chase down the opposing lords after battle.

I remember my main problem I had on my 2nd run was being ambushed or trapped after battles where my army was depleted or recovering. Sometimes I would have to fight like 3 battles to make it back to base. I remember doing well against the skaven but when the bull guys started ambushing me and coming via water that’s when I lost quickly. I was not prepared at all for that lol

It depends what lord you are using. Some lords at beasts in melee and can kill a whole army by themselves. Tyrion is one of those. Others are magic casters and some are archers, but all of them are pretty strong at fighting basic units in some way for the most part.

Malekith is a bit of a hybrid, he has really strong spells but he can also hold his own in a fight especially when he levels up and gets his dragon. Once he gets his dragon he's pretty busted. Dragon breath attacks can wipe out multiple enemy units at once with one blast if you get them clumped up right AND buff his fighting ability on the ground too.

It's not like the other total war games where you're trying to keep your general from getting killed the whole time. Your lord should be a major part of actually killing the enemy in this game.

It depends what lord you are using. Some lords at beasts in melee and can kill a whole army by themselves. Tyrion is one of those. Others are magic casters and some are archers, but all of them are pretty strong at fighting basic units in some way for the most part.

Malekith is a bit of a hybrid, he has really strong spells but he can also hold his own in a fight especially when he levels up and gets his dragon. Once he gets his dragon he's pretty busted. Dragon breath attacks can wipe out multiple enemy units at once with one blast if you get them clumped up right AND buff his fighting ability on the ground too.

It's not like the other total war games where you're trying to keep your general from getting killed the whole time. Your lord should be a major part of actually killing the enemy in this game.

I appreciate the help man, I’m very new to strategy games and this is the first WH game I have played besides vermintide which is nothing like it.

I played Starcraft and Warcraft as a kid like 15 years ago, that’s about it until I got this lol I also dabble in M&B bannerlord but I’m not good at that either.

Btw is there a game mode without that main quest/race or whatever? I can’t think of the name of it but It’s where u have to be the first race to get something and it’s like the main quest for the campaign. I would rather avoid that and focus on building an empire to get better at the game before I worry about stuff like that lol

I appreciate the help man, I’m very new to strategy games and this is the first WH game I have played besides vermintide which is nothing like it.

I played Starcraft and Warcraft as a kid like 15 years ago, that’s about it until I got this lol I also dabble in M&B bannerlord but I’m not good at that either.

Btw is there a game mode without that main quest/race or whatever? I can’t think of the name of it but It’s where u have to be the first race to get something and it’s like the main quest for the campaign. I would rather avoid that and focus on building an empire to get better at the game before I worry about stuff like that lol

That's the vortex campaign and while the game does a good job making you think the vortex race matters, it actually doesn't. You get the same result by completing the main quest even if you're dead last in the race, or first.

There is a second campaign, Mortal Empires, which combines WH1 and WH2 into one giant map. It's a free DLC, but it requires you to own WH1 also. It's very worth it and WH1 is probably pretty cheap now and you can also pick it up on sale super cheap too.

Most people who play WH2 play Mortal Empires, though if you have performance issues the Vortex campaign map runs way better and faster. WH2 Mortal Empires used to have really long turn times, but it's way better than it used to be.

I've played this series and Total War since the first TW Shogun, so I have a lot of experience. Feel free to ask if you need anymore specific help in the campaign.

I'm a StarCraft/StarCraft 2 fiend so I'm paying attention to this

Back