Grappling FAQ + Online Resources - *Read First*

22. Is Lloyd Irvin/Ryan Hall legit? Or does he suck?

Lloyd Irvin has possibly the most obnoxious marketing system known to man.

Zankou - care to update this....for any reason what so ever so people know who he really is??

Last edited:
Great post! thank you! I have been training BJJ for a few months now and absolutely love it! Posts like this have helped so much!

A question:
I saw someone posting a thread, regarding camps, I answered and the thread was deleted. Is there any rule I should know about, promoting camps?

There is a general baseline rule against posting commercial material in the grappling forum, which includes promotions. However this rule is only loosely enforced depending upon a number of factors, including (a) how likely the subject will be of general interest to the forum members; (b) how much the poster contributes generally to the forum; (c) how 'commercial' the post is; and (d) how often the poster puts up such material.

Example 1: Longtime forum contributor for many years comes out with an instructional product and wants to post about it. Probably okay.

Example 2: Black belt occasionally puts out technique videos, with no sales pitch attached, and posts them every couple weeks or so. Probably okay.

Example 3: Post a thread that a Mendes Brother seminar will be held in Austin Texas on January 24th. Probably okay (but could be deleted if the front page of the forum looks overly spammy).

Example 4: White belt poster spams promotional lead ins for a commercial instructional product. Not okay.

Example 5: Low-level BJJ practitioner spams forum with lame content hoping to build up some sort of marketable reputation. Not okay.

In general, posts about camps and seminars are allowed, though they may get stricken if they appear overly commercial for some reason. I have no idea why that particular thread was deleted, Onq.

This is admittedly a lot of subjectivity when it comes to weeding out commercial threads, but it reflects two factors. First, people usually post for a reason, and a lot of the reasons are intertwined with commercial interests, so deleting every post that has some commercial/publicity angle would get rid of a lot of interesting content. But second, an unfortunate fact of our age is that a lot of people are looking to misuse Internet forums with cheap marketing spam, without contributing much. The forum cannot be flooded with such content.

There is a general baseline rule against posting commercial material in the grappling forum, which includes promotions. However this rule is only loosely enforced depending upon a number of factors, including (a) how likely the subject will be of general interest to the forum members; (b) how much the poster contributes generally to the forum; (c) how 'commercial' the post is; and (d) how often the poster puts up such material.

Example 1: Longtime forum contributor for many years comes out with an instructional product and wants to post about it. Probably okay.

Example 2: Black belt occasionally puts out technique videos, with no sales pitch attached, and posts them every couple weeks or so. Probably okay.

Example 3: Post a thread that a Mendes Brother seminar will be held in Austin Texas on January 24th. Probably okay (but could be deleted if the front page of the forum looks overly spammy).

Example 4: White belt poster spams promotional lead ins for a commercial instructional product. Not okay.

In general, posts about camps and seminars are allowed, though they may get stricken if they appear overly commercial for some reason.
I see.
I am working on something, camps related at the moment, so when I am ready with all details, who should I coordinate with?

Just send me or another F12 mod a PM and ask if it's okay to post. If you get preapproval from a mod, the other mods will usually let it go.

Knowing your extensive grappling expertise and contributions to the grappling forum, I'm sure your camp thread will be perfectly fine.

Just send me or another F12 mod a PM and ask if it's okay to post. If you get preapproval from a mod, the other mods will usually let it go.

Knowing your extensive grappling expertise and contributions to the grappling forum, I'm sure your camp thread will be perfectly fine.

Thanx, I'll do that.

Hey guys I wasn't sure where or how to post this in the right place but I'm college aged judoka looking to improve and expand my ground game, I can either start doing BJJ or Folkstyle (I think) Wrestling, I
Imagine BJJ has more in common with judo but I have always wanted to try wrestling and I often find myself using a lot of wrestling techniques (again I think I'm not sure) in judo ie relying more on pins than submissions, focusing on top control, and often gripping in what I think is more of a judo friendly collar and elbow grip when standing and using techniques like fireman carry/kata guruma and double leg TD/Morote Gari when legal (only in randuri not in competition)

Silly question I'm sure but how do I view threads beyond page 14? I'm fairly sure f12 existed before 2014....I'd like to read some of the older threads

What happened to the thread about Renzo getting community service over the altercation with the bouncer? Am I just missing it or was it moved/deleted?

The Gracies focused more on ground grappling and locks, pretty much eliminating all strikes and creating a special point system that emphasized obtaining a dominant position.

Gracies actually added striking to the Judo they learned, the Judo they learned contained 0 striking and they made BJJ which was for 'real' fighting so they never eliminated striking.

Dan Aesopians photos were taken down.

Is saulo's "Encyclopedia of Jiu-Jitsu" a different book from his "Jiu-Jitsu University"?

this is the question im wondering, encyclopedia of jiu jitsu was written Rigan Machado (Author), Jose M. Fraguas (Author)

but saulo ribeiro's jiujitsu university is commonly cited as the book to read

I've got both books (all four) on the desk in front of me.

Encyclopedia has alot of cool stuff in it, but the instruction is a bit weird and hard to catch if you've never been in a similar position. Also, theres a few things in the book that are just iffy (a guard pass where you turn 360 degrees showing your back to the guardiero with no control on him at all struck me as particularly odd). Keep in mind, there is no table of contents or list of moves. The page presents a technique, with no name, and theres no index; then it moves to the next.

Jiujitsu university on the other hand, is VERY well laid out, and usually pretty easy to follow. Having both is nice, but Id choose univeristy if I had to choose required reading for a newbie.

The link to the gym directory didn't work but I'm in mid LA (Wilshire and Crenshaw) and I'm looking for a bjj gym. My budget is tight so price def matters. I've never taken a class before but used to train at AKA and would do a little grappling here and there. That was like 6 years ago tho and I'm way out of shape.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The link to the gym directory didn't work but I'm in mid LA (Wilshire and Crenshaw) and I'm looking for a bjj gym. My budget is tight so price def matters. I've never taken a class before but used to train at AKA and would do a little grappling here and there. That was like 6 years ago tho and I'm way out of shape.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Firstly, BJJ in LA is expensive everywhere. It just is. That said, you're really close to Cobrinha's school, and he's one of the best competitors ever and by all accounts a great coach and even nicer guy. I'd highly recommend checking it out. I'd train there in a second if I lived where you're at.

Firstly, BJJ in LA is expensive everywhere. It just is. That said, you're really close to Cobrinha's school, and he's one of the best competitors ever and by all accounts a great coach and even nicer guy. I'd highly recommend checking it out. I'd train there in a second if I lived where you're at.
Yea it's down to either that or 5 star martial arts right now. 5 star is literally down the street and I've heard the parking is a lot better and its a little cheaper so I'm leaning that way for now. Thanks for the help tho dude.

Yea it's down to either that or 5 star martial arts right now. 5 star is literally down the street and I've heard the parking is a lot better and its a little cheaper so I'm leaning that way for now. Thanks for the help tho dude.

So you're spoiled for choice a bit, because 5 star is Shawn Williams' gym and he's also a terrific instructor, very well regarded in the community. No bad choices there.

Back