Green Bay Packers 2021 Offseason

Poon Goon

Maverick
@Steel
Reaction score
Whew boys that was some crazy shit! They played their hardest and there were some questionable decisions along the way. What are your thoughts on the offseason?

I'm not a Packers fans. In fact, I'm a Vikings fan....but even I have to feel bad for Rogers. His front office and his coaches continue to make it nearly impossible for him. Instead of drafting some help to win this year....they draft a QB??? Then kick a field goal and give the ball back to Brady? Rogers turning into the Clayton Kershaw, James Harden type person. Amazing in the regular season then can't make the final step.

29 seasons with Favre and Rogers at the helm and you can only manage 2 rings so far?? Put it this way. The Baltimore Ravens have any many SuperBowl wins as the Packers and they did it with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco.

Huge failure by the Packers IMO. Time to let Rogers go to a well run team.

I'm not a Packers fans. In fact, I'm a Vikings fan....but even I have to feel bad for Rogers. His front office and his coaches continue to make it nearly impossible for him. Instead of drafting some help to win this year....they draft a QB??? Then kick a field goal and give the ball back to Brady? Rogers turning into the Clayton Kershaw, James Harden type person. Amazing in the regular season then can't make the final step.

29 seasons with Favre and Rogers at the helm and you can only manage 2 rings so far?? Put it this way. The Baltimore Ravens have any many SuperBowl wins as the Packers and they did it with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco.

Huge failure by the Packers IMO. Time to let Rogers go to a well run team.

Check off excuse box for why Rogers keeps coming up short. He's good just not great an him an Drew Brees fall into the same problem.

Tom Brady went to a team left for dead 2 years ago an brought them to the Superbowl at 43 years of age. It's about preparing for game day an Tom in a league of just a few ever.

Tom was hardly perfect but in the 4th quarter he understands what's on the line. There are few who could have better 4th quarters then Tom. The reality comparison to Tom's other divisional playoffs this one was rather easy. He did not have to engineer a 4 quarter recovery even after 2 quarters of high risk plays.

That's because Rogers had plenty of opportunities but was unable to cash in 4th an out. Tom 4th quarter It's about moving the ball an avoiding risks but that's what preparing is all about understanding the opponents weaknesses an adjusting when changes are made.

You talk to players on Toms team he's heads over other quarterbacks at planning for games. Hes biggest weakness is his attitude if you get under his skin he will break. Ravens, Giants, Broncos where examples of how to play Tom Brady in games. During Green Bay never saw Tom rushing plays or angry yelling at teammates.

Check off excuse box for why Rogers keeps coming up short. He's good just not great an him an Drew Brees fall into the same problem.

Tom Brady went to a team left for dead 2 years ago an brought them to the Superbowl at 43 years of age. It's about preparing for game day an Tom in a league of just a few ever.

Tom was hardly perfect but in the 4th quarter he understands what's on the line. There are few who could have better 4th quarters then Tom. The reality comparison to Tom's other divisional playoffs this one was rather easy. He did not have to engineer a 4 quarter recovery even after 2 quarters of high risk plays.

That's because Rogers had plenty of opportunities but was unable to cash in 4th an out. Tom 4th quarter It's about moving the ball an avoiding risks but that's what preparing is all about understanding the opponents weaknesses an adjusting when changes are made.

You talk to players on Toms team he's heads over other quarterbacks at planning for games. Hes biggest weakness is his attitude if you get under his skin he will break. Ravens, Giants, Broncos where examples of how to play Tom Brady in games. During Green Bay never saw Tom rushing plays or angry yelling at teammates.
This. At some point you have to stop making excuses for Aaron. A good example of a difference between the two was the play at the end of the half, and the fourth and goal field goal. Tom was pulled off the field and made a case for going back out. I didn’t like the call at the time, but worked out perfect.

Aaron was called off the field and he could have said no, let’s go for it. Let’s do this. He didn’t and the plan didn’t work out. If Aaron really wanted to, he could have used a veto there.

Kevin King literally killed us. Literally. How the fuck did he get burned like that by their third or fourth manlet ass receiver????

The call on D wasn’t great, but that was all on King.

Going for 2 was a dumb call.

Kicking the field goal was an even worse call.

Rodgers could have took off and ran and he might have gotten in. TB defense has serious closing speed though and imo he would have been challenged at the 1 and could have been short, we’ll never know. So him not taking off is questionable, but not a total killer.

King got burned over and over and gave up the dagger TD before the half.

They need to cut him today.

Last edited:

Dude, the Bucs are fucking stacked. What they were 2 years ago doesn’t even matter.

GB should have won. The defense was asleep for the first half and our coaches were in lala-land. Aaron Jones turned into a scared puppy and our good receivers had drops while MVS actually caught balls.

Rodgers wasn’t perfect but he was more than good enough for us to win that game.

Last edited:
That lost is on King and Mike Pettine. If Pettine isn't fired today or tomorrow and is back next year I might not watch.
Unfortunately many people can not get past QB play when judging a game, doing that after a game like this is especially weird but whatever, we knew that it would happen beforehand.

Can't wait for our offseason and draft speculation only for Gutekunst to precisely do none of it. :D

Unfortunately many people can not get past QB play when judging a game, doing that after a game like this is especially weird but whatever, we knew that it would happen beforehand.

Can't wait for our offseason and draft speculation only for Gutekunst to precisely do none of it. :D
The "Brady leads the Buccs" to a SB shit is stupid. He HAD THREE FUCKING INTERCEPTIONS AND TWO MORE DUCKS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PICKED OFF!

Check off excuse box for why Rogers keeps coming up short. He's good just not great and him and Drew Brees fall into the same problem.

Tom Brady went to a team left for dead 2 years ago and brought them to the Superbowl at 43 years of age. It's about preparing for game day and Tom in a league of just a few ever.

Tom was hardly perfect but in the 4th quarter he understands what's on the line. There are few who could have better 4th quarters than Tom. The reality comparison to Tom's other divisional playoffs this one was rather easy. He did not have to engineer a 4 quarter recovery even after 2 quarters of high risk plays.

That's because Rogers had plenty of opportunities but was unable to cash in 4th and out. Tom 4th quarter It's about moving the ball and avoiding risks but that's what preparing is all about understanding the opponents weaknesses and adjusting when changes are made.

You talk to players on Toms team he's heads over other quarterbacks at planning for games. His biggest weakness is his attitude if you get under his skin he will break. Ravens, Giants, Broncos where examples of how to play Tom Brady in games. During Green Bay never saw Tom rushing plays or angry yelling at teammates.

First, what is going on with you using an, instead of and?
https://prowritingaid.com/grammar/1000175/An-vs-and—what-is-the-difference

There is a case to be made for NFL teams that have a few down years making a quick improvement because they get to draft earlier in the rounds. Having good players on rookie deals helps them stay within the salary cap that inevitably plagues teams that are more successful in the long term. It allows them to bring in a few veteran players to get them over the top.

Not many teams are able to do it. Kansas City got to the top by trading, ironically with Buffalo, to get Mahomes at number 10 when the Chiefs had the 27th pick in the draft.

Getting great players can be a curse in later years because teams have to pay big money to keep good players. That means there will be players that they can't keep because they can get more money from another team.

Look at the Houston Texans who have a lot of money tied up in JJ Watt and Deshaun Watson.

The Packers are $27 million over the cap for 2021 without many players that they can cut without accruing a lot of dead money. Rodgers gets $37.5 million if he plays or counts $31.5 million against the cap if he doesn't. If he is cut or retires after March 17th, the dead money could be split between 2021 and 2022.

Kevin King literally killed us. Literally. How the fuck did he get burned like that by their third or fourth manlet ass receiver????

The call on D wasn’t great, but that was all on King.

Going for 2 was a dumb call.

Kicking the field goal was an even worse call.

Rodgers could have took off and ran and he might have gotten in. TB defense has serious closing speed though and imo he would have been challenged at the 1 and could have been short, we’ll never know. So him not taking off is questionable, but not a total killer.

King got burned over and over and gave up the dagger TD before the half.

They need to cut him today.
He said he thought he would have had another shot on fourth down. Imo you gotta run there and pick up at least a few yards.

The "Brady leads the Buccs" to a SB shit is stupid. He HAD THREE FUCKING INTERCEPTIONS AND TWO MORE DUCKS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PICKED OFF!
Maybe. But he also gave them some breathing room earlier in the game. He D was huge, yes. But he also capitalized on their takeaways. Aaron did not.

That fucking Kevin King covering Miller play is THE play that still utterly confuses me.
I guess you have to be ready for everything. I was expecting a short pass to get into fg range. I was also expecting a punt, so I have terrible instincts

Like, the field goal annoys me though I understand the argument of "take the points before the half" to trim the lead but it's also the playoffs. Play to cut their head off every play.

But why did Pettine have those guys in Man Coverage on the final play of the half? Someone check to see if he was on betting sites or not.

I guess you have to be ready for everything. I was expecting a short pass to get into fg range. I was also expecting a punt, so I have terrible instincts
Even on a short pass you GIVE THEM the short pass and try to not let them go out of bounds. You normally play to let them have the field goal there don't you?

This. At some point you have to stop making excuses for Aaron. A good example of a difference between the two was the play at the end of the half, and the fourth and goal field goal. Tom was pulled off the field and made a case for going back out. I didn’t like the call at the time, but worked out perfect.

Aaron was called off the field and he could have said no, let’s go for it. Let’s do this. He didn’t and the plan didn’t work out. If Aaron really wanted to, he could have used a veto there.
when they win Rodgers gets all the credit and when they lose its everyone else's fault. they had 2 straight picks and on the ensuing 6 snaps Rodgers was sacked twice, threw it out of bounds when scantling was open, and held the ball too long looking to throw it deep and had his arm hit. he choked. Brady had an opportunity to put the game away on 3rd and 9 and he hit a dude with 10 career receptions which essentially put the game outta reach.

All good points. It's clearly a team game and Rogers shouldn't shoulder all the blame as the Packers did a ton of dumb stuff (As did Brady throwing 3 INTs....1 or 2 were awful throws). But the fact of the matter is Rogers is like 4-1 or 5-1 in divisional playoff games. Now I give him a TON of credit for taking some subpar teams that far, but at some point you gotta make a play.

Brady has that weird "ability" to play terrible for the first half or throw a bunch of INTs but when it comes down to the 4th quarter the guy rarely gets beat. I mean did Green Bay honestly think Brady wasn't going to get at least 1 1st down after they kicked that field goal and gave him the ball back? You basically just waved the white flag giving Tom the ball.

GB major mess ups:
1. INT towards end of 1st half
2. Giving up that TD end of 1st half with 2 seconds left
3. How did that GB DB NOT intercept Brady on that ball right to him?
4. How did Rogers not run on that 3rd down play?? Even if you don't get in the end zone at least pick up 5 yards and make your 4th down call even better by 4th and goal from the 2 yard line. Force your coaches hand by showing you are willing to sacrifice for that TD.

when they win Rodgers gets all the credit and when they lose its everyone else's fault. they had 2 straight picks and on the ensuing 6 snaps Rodgers was sacked twice, threw it out of bounds when scantling was open, and held the ball too long looking to throw it deep and had his arm hit. he choked. Brady had an opportunity to put the game away on 3rd and 9 and he hit a dude with 10 career receptions which essentially put the game outta reach.

This. I've said it or read it before but Rogers is like Clayton Kershaw or James Harden. Amazing regular season guys but tend to choke or freeze up in playoffs when they are needed most. And the sample size on all 3 of those guys is plenty big enough.

But why did Pettine have those guys in Man Coverage on the final play of the half? Someone check to see if he was on betting sites or not.

Even on a short pass you GIVE THEM the short pass and try to not let them go out of bounds. You normally play to let them have the field goal there don't you?
You play to avoid the big play #1 and #2 to tackle them in bounds so they would run out of time to even kick the field goal. Pettine called plays to avoid the big play his entire tenure in GB and somehow in that fucking situation he did not, absolutely mind boggling.

@rearnakedchoke

Tagging you because you are one of the few smart Brady fans. Why does everything have to be on the QB, win or loss? It's stupid and easily the worst thing about this awesome sport.

- Kevin King getting burned for two TDs and in general the entire game
- Adams dropping a TD
- Redmond dropping the interception
- Pettine playcall
- Rodgers pick / missed PI on the same play
- Jones fumbling
- EQ dropping two points
- OTs playing shit
- special teams being garbage
- Rodgers not running there, holding the ball too long sometimes

Those are all reasons the Packers lost (and more that I forgot, also some including Aaron). So yes, Rodgers was a part of it but far from the main part. Brady was a part of the win for his good throws in half one, but the defense won them the game in half two despite his three picks.

Last edited:
Back