Green Bay Packers 2021 Offseason

Gentlemen, in the case that neither Jones nor Williams gets resigned, behold my pick for the Packers draft selection at RB:

Right now he's generally ranked as the #5 to #10 RB, but I'd take him over anyone. That burst, power, and center of gravity? Forget about it.

That run against Duke where he smashed #13.

The towel gave it a mouthpiece-flying knockout feel to it.
My biggest desire is a consistent end rusher to help get some of the focus off of Clark. Z can only do so much you need a third guy out there that can help the two of them get free.

ALSO, I would really REALLY want a fast sideline to sideline ILB and someone to replace King.

This year the draft and undrafted free agents will be critical as we will need players that can make an immediate impact to replace all the players that we can't afford to keep.

It seems to be a foregone conclusion to a lot of Packers writers that Tonyan gets a big contract.

What are the thoughts here? To me, that's a bad investment. I like Tonyan as a person, but he's not a great tight end IMO. He can't stretch the field, he doesn't have a lot of history beating man coverage or making contested catches, and he can't block. He's basically IMO a thinner, faster Austin Hooper.

It seems to be a foregone conclusion to a lot of Packers writers that Tonyan gets a big contract.

What are the thoughts here? To me, that's a bad investment. I like Tonyan as a person, but he's not a great tight end IMO. He can't stretch the field, he doesn't have a lot of history beating man coverage or making contested catches, and he can't block. He's basically IMO a thinner, faster Austin Hooper.
Where do you get this "he can't block" shtick from? I know all the TEs outside of Lewis on the team are white but dude:

He also took a huge step this last season after training with Kittle all offseason and also spends time with Bahk and Rodgers. What is Kittle known for?

Don't give him a massive contract, but keep him around. Rodgers likes him and the FO has to stop shipping away guys that Rodgers likes.

EDIT:
Tonyan isn't some pro bowler based on his blocking the way Kittle and prime era Gronk could be but he's more than passable and better than like 90% of the TEs in the league that are more of the receiving types. Kelce, Kittle, maybe Hock of the receiving TEs are better but who else? Vance McDonald? He retired. Jesse James? According to the refs he can't catch. I actually can't name any others out there.

Last edited:
Where do you get this "he can't block" shtick from? I know all the TEs outside of Lewis on the team are white but dude:

He also took a huge step this last season after training with Kittle all offseason and also spends time with Bahk and Rodgers. What is Kittle known for?

Don't give him a massive contract, but keep him around. Rodgers likes him and the FO has to stop shipping away guys that Rodgers likes.

EDIT:
Tonyan isn't some pro bowler based on his blocking the way Kittle and prime era Gronk could be but he's more than passable and better than like 90% of the TEs in the league that are more of the receiving types. Kelce, Kittle, maybe Hock of the receiving TEs are better but who else? Vance McDonald? He retired. Jesse James? According to the refs he can't catch. I actually can't name any others out there.

Chipping on one play doesn't mean much, nor does blasting people downfield. I could find a similar clip for Randall Cobb: doesn't mean he's a good blocking TE. He generally can't anchor or get any push in the run game, which is why he's usually taken out in short yardage situations.

And yeah all of those guys are better blockers than Tonyan by far. With Hock, it's not even close. Mark Andrews, Kyle Rudolph, Mike Gesicki, Hayden Hurst, Dallas Goedert, Logan Thomas, Dalton Schultz, and Waller are all markedly better than him. You can probably add in Irv Smith, Jonnu Smith, Jared Cook, and a few others including that Bears TE whose name I can't think of.

It would be easier to list the prominent TE's who he is probably better than as a blocker: Austin Hooper, Evan Engram, Noah Fant, Jimmy Graham, and maybe Zach Ertz?

Definitely not happening but JJ with Z and Gary would be so dope

A mid tier deal for Tonyan is fair. He hasn’t done enough to earn a big contract. 11 TDs is great but that’s a very volatile stat (remember James Jones lead the league in it one year) and while he definitely should have been a pro bowler over Engram it would have never been a conversation if Kittle was healthy. That being said he deserves a better contract then the one he’s on now and he’s improving in all aspects, he wasn’t a TE in college

The offense is very big on 2 TE sets, ideally long term if you roll with one whose more of a receiver (him) and one who can block better (Deguara) that would work fine. Sternberger could be that “receiving TE” instead but he hasn’t shown the ability to be healthy thus far, can’t trust him

Definitely not happening but JJ with Z and Gary would be so dope

A mid tier deal for Tonyan is fair. He hasn’t done enough to earn a big contract. 11 TDs is great but that’s a very volatile stat (remember James Jones lead the league in it one year) and while he definitely should have been a pro bowler over Engram it would have never been a conversation if Kittle was healthy. That being said he deserves a better contract then the one he’s on now and he’s improving in all aspects, he wasn’t a TE in college

The offense is very big on 2 TE sets, ideally long term if you roll with one whose more of a receiver (him) and one who can block better (Deguara) that would work fine. Sternberger could be that “receiving TE” instead but he hasn’t shown the ability to be healthy thus far, can’t trust him
The moment Deguara got drafted I figured whoever performed better between Tonyan and Sternberger was staying while the other would leave.

What I have heard about Deguara too is he can play, like, fucking everywhere. Line up in the slot, inline, inline block, and as a FB if needed.

Money is going to be a big issue for the Packers this year because of the low cap and many teams are in as bad or worse shape.

Quite honestly, it would be stupid to pay Jones or Jamaal at this point. Jones will be far too expensive and with Jamaal changing his agent, he will want to get more than he is worth for the Packers. I think @NewbZor posted a tweet in the NFL thread that had the salary of leading rushers in the SB and all were dirt cheap.

Packers have Dillon, sign someone like James White or someone else from the bargain bin and draft one in the 4th or 5th. That has to suffice with a good O-Line.

Quite honestly, it would be stupid to pay Jones or Jamaal at this point. Jones will be far too expensive and with Jamaal changing his agent, he will want to get more than he is worth for the Packers. I think @NewbZor posted a tweet in the NFL thread that had the salary of leading rushers in the SB and all were dirt cheap.

Packers have Dillon, sign someone like James White or someone else from the bargain bin and draft one in the 4th or 5th. That has to suffice with a good O-Line.
Given what White did when Brady was in NE I’d be down for him in Green Bay

They will garner more savings when they restructure Rodgers and Davante. I think both Smiths get a restructure too and they probably give Jaire a new contract too.

JJ Watt, welcome home.
Looks like they're only $13 million over the cap now.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

That is a good and quick breakdown. Also:

That is without signing anyone, it's just to get even.

BTW: Preston is not good enough for a restructure, people need to keep in mind that restructure = far bigger cap hits and dead cap later, you only want to do that with players who will very likely perform well over the course of the contract.

That is a good and quick breakdown. Also:

That is without signing anyone, it's just to get even.

BTW: Preston is not good enough for a restructure, people need to keep in mind that restructure = far bigger cap hits and dead cap later, you only want to do that with players who will very likely perform well over the course of the contract.

Preston is an interesting case, because the guy has a really good season every other year. So going by that metric; he should have a double digit sack year in 2021. And you can never really have enough edge rushers, so I'd be kinda irked if they flat out cut him.

Back