Gsp arguably has the greatest boxing in MMA history

Ray Mercer was an actual boxer, with a solid resume who had 1 MMA fight. He is technically a better "boxer" than GSP, a karate guy who got into MMA and then learned boxing along the way.

in the case of the Bj fight that is relevant because Bj made him look that way through notably superior boxing.
I agree. I don’t think GSP has good boxing at all. Tbh, I think BJ Penn during his prime had the best boxing but to judge someone’s boxing skill by posting a pic of their bruised face is complete asinine which is why I posted that pic of Chavez.

Masvidal is one of the best boxers in MMA too.

Not just how he throws a punch, but combinations, speed, defence... he's got great all-round boxing skills.

Most MMA fighters can't throw a punch. They lob sideways fists with their head down.

Dumbest argument ever.

why does JCC’s face look like this?
chavez-sr-2.jpg

Fought 60 bums and had loaded gloves. Plus gift decisions.

Absolutely not and I love GSP but he's nowhere near the best boxer in the UFC.

He has a good jab and uses it with his reach to maintain good distance

Like my man Khabib he has the ultimate threat of the takedown. Even GSP himself admits that his threat of a takedown and athletic explosiveness are key to his striking

He has decent boxing, as he is a well rounded fighter. But he is not the best boxer in MMA by a long shot

Absolutely absurd..

GSP’s boxing has always been stiff and rudimentary. He carried a lot of poor habits from his initial karate background. Probably one of the most overrated aspects of his game.

He’s got a good jab. That’s really the only noteworthy aspect of his hands.

Good jab that he maintains distance with

He is definitely effective with the jab, as is khabib. These guys are looking for takedowns and the jab is to keep opponents at bay and guessing

GSP is not even close to the first name when I think of boxing

2 former opponents that strike my mind are Nick and Bj who both have much better hands

Jab, takedown, hold, takedown, jab.
<45>
Not a skilled boxer.

Knocked out by serra
Butchered by Hendricks
Panick wrestled against real boxers like diaz

GSP is a goat and effective striker, but calm down a bit

Over half the fight against Diaz was ont he feet and he outstruck him though last I remembered when looking at the stats for that fight

gsp was the best striker ww has ever seen. his takedown threat made him so he blended the 2 perfectly.

Then why his face look like this

View attachment 855515

or this

View attachment 855514
From getting thumbed in the eye and not being able to see out of it. Do you not remember the fight? The entirety of BJs offense was in round one, the best of which was a punch that landed his thumb directly into GSPs eye and an uppercut that clipped GSPs nose and busted it up pretty good.

I think GSP fanboys shouldn't be able to post.

The dude retired almost 5 years ago.
And you still salivate on "greatest boxing in MMA history" because he had a fucking jab...

that is not only asinine reason, but also so fucking biased, it is a disservice to respond properly.
Disagree

GSP lost to Hendricks and then fled the rematch

Sure but he won, I mean I scored it 3-2 GSP, the judges did a lot of people did. He easily could have lost the decision but I think the facial bruising and cuts is mostly what make people emotional about it. Every great had decisions people felt they lost regardless of where you fall on the spectrum. Khabib lost to Tibau. Jones to Gus, Reyes and Santos. Mighty Mouse lost to Miguel Torres. Floyd lost to Oscar and Castillo. Canelo lost to GGG and Lara etc etc. All popular opinions by a significant minority or even majority of fans, media and members of the sport.

Back