GSP Trained 25 minutes a session?

Stuart0502

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

According to this interview with Chael Sonnen.

You could probably add it up to forty minutes if you include the warm up.

I wonder to what extent he did this, Chael makes it sound like the majority of his sessions were this length.

Opinions on this?

does not account for technical training.

I was thinking that but then he said he was doing 25 minute sessions on the pads with Freddie Roach. Usually the mit sessions are the technical sessions for Roach.

He might do additional BJJ and Wrestling drilling.

From what I remember, GSP cross trained a ton as well.

When it was 'off season', he would often drop-in on experts in various other sports, like boxing coaches, grappling coaches, muay thai, gymnastics, or so on. When he had a fight coming up though, training camp was all MMA contexted.

When it was 'off season', he would often drop-in on experts in various other sports, like boxing coaches, grappling coaches, muay thai, gymnastics, or so on. When he had a fight coming up though, training camp was all MMA contexted.

I mean with the gymnastics, track work, pool work, plyos etc etc.

All I'm kinda getting at is that he probably didn't need to do more than 25 mins (+ probably about the same amount of time to limber up to make sure he didn't hurt himself) hard because he was getting his cardio elsewhere. I'm off the assumption that some fighters still use the training/rolling as part of their cardio week. He was probably using it more for skill development/embedding.

I mean with the gymnastics, track work, pool work, plyos etc etc.

All I'm kinda getting at is that he probably didn't need to do more than 25 mins (+ probably about the same amount of time to limber up to make sure he didn't hurt himself) hard because he was getting his cardio elsewhere. I'm off the assumption that some fighters still use the training/rolling as part of their cardio week. He was probably using it more for skill development/embedding.

25 minutes is also the length of a championship fight in the UFC. His choice of that time period for high intensity work on training days was not an accident.

Probably spent hours doing pure technical work and then a high intensity MMA practice for 25 minutes at a time leading up to his fight. Chael who never did slow, correction based, MMA training probably assumed GSP was not training much.

I am talking out of my ass here but could it be that GSP trained extremely technical and therefore light, and allocated his S&C to dedicated activities? We all know he was a S&C freak so he certainly was well prepared in that matter.

But wait it doesn't really make sense because Firas said he believed in light sparring because you can do more of it and therefore wire your muscle memory better. That would not fit with the 25' workout.

Conclusion : shale is talking out of his ass as usual

Does it not mean he was doing sparring for 25 mins? Thats what i was getting when they said 5x5 rounds, or whatever the quote was exactly.

Back