GSP vs prime 185 lbers? Rich Franklin, Hendo, Saku, Wanderlei?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Most people clearly agree that GSP would lose to GOAT prime Anderson Silva at 185. However, how would he do against 185's greats that weren't GOATs? Prime Franklin? Prime Hendo? Prime Wanderlei cut to 185? Prime Filho? Prime Bustamante?

I have him winning:
- Wanderlei
- Filho
- Hendo

I see him taking Wanderlei, Filho, and Hendo down all night. I don't see Filho submitting him either. Wanderlei and Hendo will look like Sonnen vs Wanderlei and Shields vs Hendo.

Losing against:
- Bustamante
- Franklin

I see Bustamante and Franklin beating GSP on the feet just like Wanderlei and Hendo. However, unlike Wanderlei and Hendo, their TDD (takedown defense) combined with their size advantage will let them avoid the takedowns just enough to win the fight.

Tie:
- Saku

I'd give GSP a slight edge to win vs Saku because he can decide where the fight takes place. I see Saku and GSP being 50/50 on the feet, and 50/50 on the ground though. So, the fight will be almost 50/50 wherever GSP takes it. But if it's 51/49 somewhere.. GSP could take it there and that might give him the victory.

I think his natural size disadvantage would hurt him a bit at 185, and styles make fights.

Last edited:
I think actually style wise GSP doesnt match up that badly with Anderson, good takedown threat and I think also good from range so Silva just dancing around him like Maia/Leites would be difficult.

I actually think the worse style matchups for GSP would be guys with decent wrestling and power in their hands.

Franklin and Hendo are his toughest match ups and personally I don’t think Wanderlei would make 185 in his prime unless he cut all that muscle.

I love Rich, but Gsp eats his lunch all day.

Filho gets destroyed. Hendo is probably beaten, but who knows with the size difference. I don't like Sakurabas chances.

Wandy has a good chance in his prime. The Wandy that left Rampage draped in the ropes beats GSP.

I hate Grease St-Pierre more than any human being alive but he beats everyone you named with ease, including Anderson.

So many casuals in the comments. GSP beats every 185er ever. If he could beat Bisping from a long lay off and past his prime, he would run through all 185ers.

I hate Grease St-Pierre more than any human being alive but he beats everyone you named with ease, including Anderson.
<Neil01> he didnt beat his own division members with ease, took most of them to decision. He'd decision saku, great style for GSP, gsp would destroy any version of filho, decision dan. I'd put him underdog against wand, rich, bustamante, and no chance in hell against anderson.

he gets beat by all of them because they are in their prime they arent 40 years old with one eye and thier foot out the door.

Anderson no question would embarass him.
Filho would have subbed him instantly
Franklin would have outlasted him and stopped him
Hendo would have sent Georges to the morgue
Busta would have beaten him
a PRIME Wanderlei? That would have looked like a fucking murder. The wamderlei that the ufc got, idk he was just a wild hook machine but if he caught Georges with anything I fully believe that wandy would ko him instantly. I would say that one is 50/50.
SAkuraba had better grappling than Georges and was creative enough to make georges look like a double leg desperado while mauling him.

Most people clearly agree that GSP would lose to GOAT prime Anderson Silva at 185. However, how would he do against 185's greats that weren't GOATs? Prime Franklin? Prime Hendo? Prime Wanderlei cut to 185? Prime Filho? Prime Bustamante?.

Franklin: GSP either loses decisively or wins a super close split decision. I can't think of a single time that anybody controlled Rich Franklin on the ground, and he fought a lot of really good grapplers. Even though Ace was nobody's idea of a striking wizard, he had really good kickboxing fundamentals, plus some obvious power. I can picture him busting up GSP standing, but Rush could possibly jab and low kick his way to a split decision.

Hendo: GSP wins via sub. Despite his wrestling pedigree, lots of guys were able to take Hendo down and either submit or control him. GSP could do the same. Plus, considering that Hendo (even in prime form) was just a slow moving clinch wrestler with a big right hand, GSP could easily game plan a way to beat him.

Wanderlei: This is a tough one. Prime Wanderlei was a great sprawl & brawler, but he didn't offer much from his back. Plus he could get so wild on the feet, I can picture GSP landing some crisp counters. Still, prime Wanderlei had an incredible chin and cardio to keep swinging power shots for rounds. 50/50 for me.

Filho and Bustamante: I honestly haven't seen enough of their fights to make an educated guess, so I pass on them.

Saku: Call me crazy, but I think Saku wins via something crazy into a submission. GSP was an excellent gameplanner, but Saku was an even better improv artist.

he gets beat by all of them because they are in their prime they arent 40 years old with one eye and thier foot out the door.

Anderson no question would embarass him.
Filho would have subbed him instantly
Franklin would have outlasted him and stopped him
Hendo would have sent Georges to the morgue
Busta would have beaten him
a PRIME Wanderlei? That would have looked like a fucking murder. The wamderlei that the ufc got, idk he was just a wild hook machine but if he caught Georges with anything I fully believe that wandy would ko him instantly. I would say that one is 50/50.
SAkuraba had better grappling than Georges and was creative enough to make georges look like a double leg desperado while mauling him.
You saw Shields vs Hendo right?

And how would Filho get GSP down?

Matt Hughes had better grappling than GSP too, but not better wrestling. GSP could definitely just lnp to negate Saku's better grappling. GSP could soften Saku up on the feet to get the win on the ground like against Hughes, but the trick here is that Saku has deceptively good striking.

Back