Gun Cleaning Thread

In watching some vids, I saw some guys use picks, some guys using brushes and so on. I didn't have either on hand so I just used Q-tips to get the little hard to reach crevices and making sure now to leave any strands of cotton behind.

Picks are awesome.

It depends on what you are trying to eradicate...

If you do semi-regular maintenance cleaning, q-tips are going to be effective. If you clean after every 5,000 rounds....

not so much.

Any thing that strips the Copper and Lead residue
from the Barrel is a health hazard. Hoppes is nasty stuff too TS
Try Bluguard VCI. Well oiled firearms can be stored for a long period in those bags.

When I go hunting I sometimes have problems with uncleaned gun. Do you have any suggestions for making it convenient to carry in a backpack?

Can you be more specific? Are you not cleaning the gun before you go hunting. Is it getting dirty from the environment? What exactly are you talking about.

A quick small set up.

Small bottle of clp
BREAK-FREE-CLP-BORE-CLEANING-SOLVENT-LUBRICANT-RUST-PREVENTATIVE-.68-OZ-LIQUID_170293-1024x1024.jpg

Bore snake
9ac31384-c097-416b-ad7e-6db83cddb7e5_1.5d782f38dad18254682e2370fa31847b.jpeg

71dvJDSN-pL._AC_SY355_.jpg

ip-316-blu_web__19207.1510752978.jpg

rag.png

If you need more than that for some reason they sell stuff like this

A1fOGSQjBUL._AC_SX425_.jpg

strike industries anti-venom gun cleaner? fucking awesome. ive been using it to unf-k customers dirty suppressed systems for a week now and ive been impressed as hell.

I've been using Hoppe's Elite lately because it's supposed to be odorless. I don't think it is though. :/
What do y'all think about wipes? I've seen them from Break Free and Remington.

Sweets works good for copper fouling, but lately I use this one everything else, bolts, barrels, suppressor. Mixed with GM top engine cleaner, it's even better.

b9e0935d-78cf-41dd-88a8-8456b478cb21_1.16af89b96312a6f6620682b8710ef091.jpeg

I've been using Hoppe's Elite lately because it's supposed to be odorless. I don't think it is though. :/
What do y'all think about wipes? I've seen them from Break Free and Remington.

I use the wipes on the outside of my firearms just to give them a coating before storing them away.

I've mainly been using BreakThrough Clean products for a while now, and I like them. Their solvents and cleaners don't have a foul odor like Hoppes so I can clean my guns in the house without stinking up the place. I was given a bag of packets of Ballistol wipes that I've been trying to use up. The stuff seems to work well because I haven't noticed any barrel finish deterioration, but the wipes smell absolutely awful.

I've mainly been using BreakThrough Clean products for a while now, and I like them. Their solvents and cleaners don't have a foul odor like Hoppes so I can clean my guns in the house without stinking up the place. I was given a bag of packets of Ballistol wipes that I've been trying to use up. The stuff seems to work well because I haven't noticed any barrel finish deterioration, but the wipes smell absolutely awful.

At this point I'm more concerned with toxicity than smell.

At this point I'm more concerned with toxicity than smell.
The Breakthrough stuff is non-toxic, but that was never a selling point to me. I don't clean my guns so frequently where the toxicity of a cleaner really matters to me all that much.

The Breakthrough stuff is non-toxic, but that was never a selling point to me. I don't clean my guns so frequently where the toxicity of a cleaner really matters to me all that much.

Thanks.

I clean after most every use and liberally apply whatever's being used. Plus I think fumes are given off when firing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back