Half Life: Alyx (critically acclaimed across the board)

Looks impressive. Hoping they eventually make a non-VR version.

It will take more than just Valve to get me on the VR train, but this is the closest I've been to having real interest.

Is this available for PlayStation VR or only PC set ups like Occulus et al?
It's only on Windows. They didn't even release it on Linux yet, and this is made by the same company behind the "Steamboxes" which were Linux-only gaming consoles.

It's only on Windows. They didn't even release it on Linux yet, and this is made by the same company behind the "Steamboxes" which were Linux-only gaming consoles.

Thanks, I kind of figured. Not that I even have a PSVR set up either, but it’s certainly more attainable for me than getting a proper gaming PC rig AND a VR set up.

Resident Evil 7 was the first step in really showing how much VR can enhance an experience, this looks to blow it out of the water.

I played it last night on my Oculus Quest (through Oculus Link). I already have a gaming PC and gaming laptop that can handle VR. (I also have an Oculus Rift, but no dedicated space to set up the sensors, so I used my quest in my living room with my gaming laptop)

Looks amazing and I got the same feelings playing this as when I first played Half-Life 2.

One thing though... this game is SCARY! The immersiveness really makes you feel part of the world and heightens the tension to another level. I get VR sickness, but the easy warp method worked great for me and I did not get VR sickness at all.

This is gonna sell VR like hotcakes I think. I may even get one now.

Valve is the kind of company that could make a game that paves the way for what good, compelling VR gameplay could be. I don’t expect them to do a gimmick game; why? They aren’t hurt for money and know they have big shoes to fill. I don’t think a game like this would’ve received significant internal support if it were just a gimmick or rehashed idea.

It’s risky because of the general disappointment with VR but if I’d give any company a shot at pulling it off it’s Valve. Plus if it ends up sucking (or even falling short of great) they’ll probably just can it and move on. Again, the money isn’t the issue.

Dammit, why didn't Valve just let me down so I didn't feel compelled to drop a couple of grand on a new VR rig?

Dammit, why didn't Valve just let me down so I didn't feel compelled to drop a couple of grand on a new VR rig?

Can't you get a VR rig for less than $1k? Unless I'm missing something.

Can't you get a VR rig for less than $1k? Unless I'm missing something.

You can get the VR components for less than $1k, but I'll at least have to make some upgrades to my machine that would put the investment over the $1k mark for me. My current PC will probably run it but with degraded performance.

You can get the VR components for less than $1k, but I'll at least have to make some upgrades to my machine that would put the investment over the $1k mark for me. My current PC will probably run it but with degraded performance.

I don't see where this $2,000 figure is coming from. Sure you can spend that much or even way more on a very powerful VR-capable PC. But CyberpoweInc and other places have VR-ready PCs for far less than $2,000.

I don't see where this $2,000 figure is coming from. Sure you can spend that much or even way more on a very powerful VR-capable PC. But CyberpoweInc and other places have VR-ready PCs for far less than $2,000.

My post was playful banter. I said "feel compelled to spend a couple grand", meaning that this game is making me want to have the best experience with it. Nothing in my post suggested it required it.

My post was playful banter. I said "feel compelled to spend a couple grand", meaning that this game is making me want to have the best experience with it. Nothing in my post suggested it required it.

Ah I feel you. probably projecting my own anxiety as I'm debating how much to spend on a new rig myself right now!

Ah I feel you. probably projecting my own anxiety as I'm debating how much to spend on a new rig myself right now!

Given the current times, I'll probably pass but when we come out on the other side this will be a consideration for me. I've got a 16 year itch I'd like to scratch. Hard.

Given the current times, I'll probably pass but when we come out on the other side this will be a consideration for me. I've got a 16 year itch I'd like to scratch. Hard.

I think I'm going to budget myself at $1200.

I'm sure it will be great, but it's not the sequel we all really want. Plus this barrier to entry kind of sucks.

I think I'm going to budget myself at $1200.

I'm sure it will be great, but it's not the sequel we all really want. Plus this barrier to entry kind of sucks.

True. But for me anyway, Breath of the Wild wasn't the Zelda game I wanted. But it ended up being a game I didn't know I wanted the whole time.

Looks impressive. Hoping they eventually make a non-VR version.
It's only a matter of time before someone mods it for non-VR play on a mouse and keyboard.

Lead developers last year said they wont do it themselves. Complexities of the index controllers with a VR headset cant be simulated on a mouse/keyboard. Amount of needed inputs by itself arent there.

Lead developers last year said they wont do it themselves. Complexities of the index controllers with a VR headset cant be simulated on a mouse/keyboard. Amount of needed inputs by itself arent there.
Nah, it'll get done eventually.

Back