Have Yall Ever Seen Marvel Cards.

I still have a bunch. Some were real high quality. Solid, thick stock, awesome art... I think flair made them.

s-l1600.jpg

Boris did the series I was thinking of

Those look gay as fuck.

I had slapsticks card. And the punishers. When I was eleven. A kid at swimmer camp gave them to me

I had the ones that came in the black and gold shiny box. Can’t remember the names of them, think they are still around somewhere.

Lol I remember the hologram cards lol

I think I had most of series 2, a lot of series 1, but started dropping off after the hat

I think there was an X-men set as well ... I wonder how valuable they are now

I still have my collection around somewhere. Loved these things as a kid. I got into comic books because of the cards. My friends had the cards and I thought it was interesting to read about all the characters, that eventually I started collecting the cards myself and reading the comics too. Pretty brilliant move on Marvel's part.

I have a complete set of the first series except for the holograms. I think the second series I only ever got maybe 80 percent of them.

By the time I realized these better quality Marvel trading cards existed, I think Series 1 packs were no longer available at a reasonable price. I think I bought a bunch of Series 2 singles where some had Art Adams and John Romita Jr. art. I think Series 3 with a lot of Ron Lim art were the ones I bought packs.

I'm reading old Uncanny X-Men and seeing those old ads reminded me I also had a few Marvel Masterpieces painting cards, Fleer Ultra X-Men fancier painting cards, not necessarily with good art, Overpower rounded corner game cards probably from free samples in comics or Wizard, the Jim Lee X-Men cards with like rookie coloring job not doing justice to Jim Lee art.

Series 1 art seemed pretty low quality, low resolution. I really liked the stats on the back.

Does a similar product exist in stores today? If so, I'd probably buy.

My friend had a celestials card and on the back for power levels on the 1 - 7 scale, it said "N/A" for all. My friend insisted it meant they are so powerful that they can't be measured on that scale.

My other friends and I lambasted my friend and insisted that the celestials were not a big deal and that N/A did not mean they were too powerful to measure but rather their power level is a unknown.

It ended up in a big argument.

Back then I had a bias for the X-Men and hated the cosmic beings.

Wolverine always had fighting skills of 7/7 but strength only 2/7. The same strength level as the heroes with no super powers. I thought this was bullshit and that Wolverine was easily a 3/7 for strength.

Magneto was surprisingly low on power levels.

Apocalypse looked near invincible.

Dormammu looked very average power level wise based on his 1992 card - I wonder what changed in 25 years.
Perhaps Wolverine's strength was depleted from having to drag around his heavy adamantium laced skeleton? I'm assuming it's heavy.

I just recently read the Uncanny X-Men where Cable breaks into the X-Mansion to chat with Cyclops before his bachelor party and when they are attacked by X-Cutioner, Cyclops is surprised Cable has super strength.

I used to love reading these character bios and stats similar to G.I. Joe index cards and Transformers cut out rectangle graphs with the red plastic viewer.

I have a few of the first one with win % like this.
XOLMGkc.jpg
I recently saw Amazon Mexico was selling a 6" scale Marvel Legends gray Hulk where his face looked like a zombie.

I recently saw Amazon Mexico was selling a 6" scale Marvel Legends gray Hulk where his face looked like a zombie.

Its a pretty beat face but I don't hope we get that in the states soon. I want it.

I had binders full of these growing up

I need to find those binders
I was surprised Target sells those Ultra Pro high quality 9 pocket binder pages. This is exactly what I bought recently when I recently read some old X-Men and saw the ads for those cards and remembered I should still have a bunch. Now I have to find my old cards.

I got these cards too.

They're totally sweet

Those look gay as fuck.
not sure if you mean they actually look gay ((pretty hard to draw men in spandex to not look gay by non spandex generation eyes)) or if youre hacking on the artwork itself....

as with all art....its in the eye of the beholder ....perhaps youre more into anime than older style fantasy art

Back