Having trouble determining what gloves I should start with

Virtually Identical

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
As the title states, I’ve been looking and looking but I can’t determine what gloves would be best.

I’m a heavyweight so I’m thinking 16 oz cause I’ll be using for bag work but would also like to spar when the time comes. Last time I trained I used shitty 14 oz everlast and fucked my wrist up. I would be looking for something that gives extreme wrist protection. Any ideas? I was pretty determined on going Cleto Reyes but I’ve heard shotty reviews. Any help is appreciated

You will get better wrist protection with lace ups compared to Velcro and if you train along use some sort of lace converter

Other than that depends on your budget to a degree

Is there any type of gloves you can think of that offer better protection for knuckles then c17 ring to cage

Is there any type of gloves you can think of that offer better protection for knuckles then c17 ring to cage

If you are looking for great knuckle protection, Hayabusa are really good.

Also, any IMF or MIM type of foam (aka: Rinside or Ring to cage (exept c17)) will do.

If you dont mind, Twins gloves offers fenomenal protection.

As the title states, I’ve been looking and looking but I can’t determine what gloves would be best.

I’m a heavyweight so I’m thinking 16 oz cause I’ll be using for bag work but would also like to spar when the time comes. Last time I trained I used shitty 14 oz everlast and fucked my wrist up. I would be looking for something that gives extreme wrist protection. Any ideas? I was pretty determined on going Cleto Reyes but I’ve heard shotty reviews. Any help is appreciated
How committed are you to training? The reason I ask is the level of commitment corresponds to how much you can and should spend. If sparring is a goal, the commitment level could be great. If you are obsessed, think of training at work, while eating, while laying in bed that night and training is the highlight of your day, then you need to consider your body a tool. Your legs, your hands, your core muscle groups, your shoulders and arms are tools. Since we’re talking gloves, let’s focus on your hands. Anyone with any experience in training can tell you how difficult training can be with sore or injured hands. To use an often quoted axiom, they are the “tip of the spear”. You have already experienced how poorly made gloves can frustrate your goals. Therefore, the question remains, how committed are you. If you intend to make training a lifestyle, you need gloves that reflect that. You can spend a lot. There are gloves you can spend a large sum on that are complete crap. However, there are “bargains” that are top flight professional gloves that are as well made as any on the market. By bargain I mean they are worth more than you spend on them considering how much time and effort you put into using them. If I was a heavyweight, dispense with the thought of training with 16oz gloves. I am 57 years old and 183 lbs/ 83 kilos and the lightest gloves I use are 16oz. I use them for mitts or going more than 12 rounds on the heavy bag. I mostly use 18oz and often a 20oz pair for sparring. You weigh at least 200lbs/ 90 kilos and you may as well train with the heaviest gloves you can stand. A well made pair are well padded and the right kind will support your wrists. My personal preference are lace ups for wrist support. I have a pair of lace n loops on my gloves. Just pull the strings tight, wrap the stings around the cuffs and pull the strap and it’s on. My favorite gloves for sparring are my 20oz Topboxers. (Custom Aliens-Mexican style gloves) They have a long cuff and great padding. I also use 18oz Cleto Reyes. Rival and Infinitude are also great 18oz gloves. My absolute favorite gloves are genuine Mexican made Casanova’s in 16oz. Unfortunately they do not make an 18oz glove, but Necalli and Gil both make 18oz. I use them for anything in the boxing gym, bag work, mitts, double end bag, body bag and sparring against better sparring partners. By better, I mean younger, more talented boxers. A close second would be Boxeo’s. Again, genuine Mexican made gloves. Now this is my personal preference. Mexican made gloves are made to punch. Your fist can close securely in a natural fist. They align the wrists behind your knuckles in a linear line when your hand is in a clenched fist. You can drive a punch like a piston. I would admonish you that a lot of people are uncomfortable in a Mexican made glove. If your skin is tender, you may dislike the lining. Now tender does not mean you are a p***y. The heaviest handed pro at my gym cannot stand Mexican made gloves. He even likes me hitting him with them even less. I do not have tender skin after years of training. I have what is best described as calluses on my first and second knuckles from using Mexican made gloves. These are made to punch not sleep in. I take my gloves off immediately after training and air them out as I live in Texas (hot and humid) and have poured sweat out of my gloves and wrung sweat out of my wraps. Reyes has a better lining. For the record, the most comfortable glove I have ever used are Winnings. However, I like more wrist support and my hands are not as indestructible as they were in my youth. I would say I have to try very hard to throw a punch with poor technique to strike a bag or a sparring partner’s headgear improperly with Mexican made gloves. My suggestion to you is look at Topboxer’s website. These are very comfortable gloves and are great for all around training. The price cannot be beat. (Anywhere from $110 to $149 US for a custom pair) I am obsessed with training and it is the selfish highlight of my day. I think about training before I fall asleep at night considering what I will do the next day. Again, I am 57 and it is becoming harder to get sparring. Not because I am a terror but because there are few experienced boxers who want to spar with an old man. Occasionally, my experience makes a young fighter look bad. But mostly, the fighters who will give me some work are very experienced and have sparred many rounds and let me have a few rounds because they want more work. I usually get a boxing lesson but do get to hit them a few times. My other option is a fitness dude whose nuts have dropped and wants to see what it’s like to get hit. (20oz gloves, trainer yelling for me to let him work). However, I am always grateful for the sparring when I can get it. (Usually last-right before the trainer closes the gym) My fighting days are long over but I still have a competitive drive to use all the training on the end goal of actually hitting another fighter. I am slower, have less power and the punches hurt more but it give me a sense of personal satisfaction that is difficult for me to describe. If boxing is like that for you, money you spend to protect your hands is well spent.

I seen you said except c17 I thought those had great hand protection for knuckles

How committed are you to training? The reason I ask is the level of commitment corresponds to how much you can and should spend. If sparring is a goal, the commitment level could be great. If you are obsessed, think of training at work, while eating, while laying in bed that night and training is the highlight of your day, then you need to consider your body a tool. Your legs, your hands, your core muscle groups, your shoulders and arms are tools. Since we’re talking gloves, let’s focus on your hands. Anyone with any experience in training can tell you how difficult training can be with sore or injured hands. To use an often quoted axiom, they are the “tip of the spear”. You have already experienced how poorly made gloves can frustrate your goals. Therefore, the question remains, how committed are you. If you intend to make training a lifestyle, you need gloves that reflect that. You can spend a lot. There are gloves you can spend a large sum on that are complete crap. However, there are “bargains” that are top flight professional gloves that are as well made as any on the market. By bargain I mean they are worth more than you spend on them considering how much time and effort you put into using them. If I was a heavyweight, dispense with the thought of training with 16oz gloves. I am 57 years old and 183 lbs/ 83 kilos and the lightest gloves I use are 16oz. I use them for mitts or going more than 12 rounds on the heavy bag. I mostly use 18oz and often a 20oz pair for sparring. You weigh at least 200lbs/ 90 kilos and you may as well train with the heaviest gloves you can stand. A well made pair are well padded and the right kind will support your wrists. My personal preference are lace ups for wrist support. I have a pair of lace n loops on my gloves. Just pull the strings tight, wrap the stings around the cuffs and pull the strap and it’s on. My favorite gloves for sparring are my 20oz Topboxers. (Custom Aliens-Mexican style gloves) They have a long cuff and great padding. I also use 18oz Cleto Reyes. Rival and Infinitude are also great 18oz gloves. My absolute favorite gloves are genuine Mexican made Casanova’s in 16oz. Unfortunately they do not make an 18oz glove, but Necalli and Gil both make 18oz. I use them for anything in the boxing gym, bag work, mitts, double end bag, body bag and sparring against better sparring partners. By better, I mean younger, more talented boxers. A close second would be Boxeo’s. Again, genuine Mexican made gloves. Now this is my personal preference. Mexican made gloves are made to punch. Your fist can close securely in a natural fist. They align the wrists behind your knuckles in a linear line when your hand is in a clenched fist. You can drive a punch like a piston. I would admonish you that a lot of people are uncomfortable in a Mexican made glove. If your skin is tender, you may dislike the lining. Now tender does not mean you are a p***y. The heaviest handed pro at my gym cannot stand Mexican made gloves. He even likes me hitting him with them even less. I do not have tender skin after years of training. I have what is best described as calluses on my first and second knuckles from using Mexican made gloves. These are made to punch not sleep in. I take my gloves off immediately after training and air them out as I live in Texas (hot and humid) and have poured sweat out of my gloves and wrung sweat out of my wraps. Reyes has a better lining. For the record, the most comfortable glove I have ever used are Winnings. However, I like more wrist support and my hands are not as indestructible as they were in my youth. I would say I have to try very hard to throw a punch with poor technique to strike a bag or a sparring partner’s headgear improperly with Mexican made gloves. My suggestion to you is look at Topboxer’s website. These are very comfortable gloves and are great for all around training. The price cannot be beat. (Anywhere from $110 to $149 US for a custom pair) I am obsessed with training and it is the selfish highlight of my day. I think about training before I fall asleep at night considering what I will do the next day. Again, I am 57 and it is becoming harder to get sparring. Not because I am a terror but because there are few experienced boxers who want to spar with an old man. Occasionally, my experience makes a young fighter look bad. But mostly, the fighters who will give me some work are very experienced and have sparred many rounds and let me have a few rounds because they want more work. I usually get a boxing lesson but do get to hit them a few times. My other option is a fitness dude whose nuts have dropped and wants to see what it’s like to get hit. (20oz gloves, trainer yelling for me to let him work). However, I am always grateful for the sparring when I can get it. (Usually last-right before the trainer closes the gym) My fighting days are long over but I still have a competitive drive to use all the training on the end goal of actually hitting another fighter. I am slower, have less power and the punches hurt more but it give me a sense of personal satisfaction that is difficult for me to describe. If boxing is like that for you, money you spend to protect your hands is well spent.
Thank you for your reply man, to answer your question, I plan on making training a daily/lifestyle type thing. I work a seasonal job so I have all winter. I’m gonna look into the top boxers right now.

If you are looking for great knuckle protection, Hayabusa are really good.

Also, any IMF or MIM type of foam (aka: Rinside or Ring to cage (exept c17)) will do.

If you dont mind, Twins gloves offers fenomenal protection.
I’m also curious as to why the C17’s aren’t a good option. A poster in here recommended them. He also wants to know why you prefer otherwise. Thank you for your recommendations as well. Im gonna look into the Hayabusas and the twins

I’m also curious as to why the C17’s aren’t a good option. A poster in here recommended them. He also wants to know why you prefer otherwise. Thank you for your recommendations as well. Im gonna look into the Hayabusas and the twins

C-17 have a great reputation, but if you have big hands, they might be a bit small. Also, lots of quality control issus. Still, they are great gloves.

But for knuckles protection, there is better options at around same price.

If you have big hands go with Rival. I have big hands. I wear XXL in mma cloves. Most of the gloves mentioned above don't have large enough hand pockets for me. Rival and Winning gloves have always fit me but if you're just starting out, stick with Rival.

If you have big hands go with Rival. I have big hands. I wear XXL in mma cloves. Most of the gloves mentioned above don't have large enough hand pockets for me. Rival and Winning gloves have always fit me but if you're just starting out, stick with Rival.
Is there a specific model you prefer ?

Thank you for your reply man, to answer your question, I plan on making training a daily/lifestyle type thing. I work a seasonal job so I have all winter. I’m gonna look into the top boxers right now.
Muhammad Irfan, the owner of Topboxer makes some of the best gloves in the market. I have never heard one negative word about his gloves or any other equipment he sells. You will not be disappointed. Here are my 20oz training gloves below:
7C238CC8-6745-4B38-9B79-065E5EEFEA3A.jpeg 5654E9F4-CE5B-42C4-ABA8-4AD40C420D59.jpeg

What are some of the better options for knuckle protection in the same price category. I have a set of twins and my knuckles still hurt when punching a water bag

What are some of the better options for knuckle protection in the same price category. I have a set of twins and my knuckles still hurt when punching a water bag
My personal favorite gloves are Casanova’s 16oz. Just tonight, I went 15 rounds on a 125 pound heavy bag and the whole time I’m thinking how pleasing it is to be able to really bear down on this bag without any pain or worry of injury. But these gloves have a rough interior lining. The secret to these gloves is being allowed to make as natural a fist as you can in a boxing glove. The padding needs breaking in and just tonight I was thinking how after 100 rounds, these gloves are almost just like I want them. I will tolerate rough lining for protection. If I were advising someone else though I would suggest Rival rs1 lace up sparring gloves. I have a pair and I have never sparred in them but I have hit a 190lb aqua bag and the heavy bag with them and they work very well. On Black Friday these gloves were reduced to $79 dollars from $159. These were the genuine leather version (the gold pair are the bullsh*t “engineered leather” which is some marketing speak for plastic) Always get leather. I use sparring gloves for training gloves because I’m 57 and that means my hands have been hitting objects for 44 of those years. I also use at least 16oz gloves if they are Mexican made and mostly 18oz and 20oz. That weight of gloves will usually have a lot of knuckle padding. I discovered a bargain at my gym about 2 months ago. A friend was pounding a body bag in the the center of our bag area and was really wailing on the bag with some sharp looking gloves. They were Infinitude gloves of Pakistani manufacturer. Yeah, I know. But he let me look at them. Good leather, great stitching and hook and loop of all things. What really impressed me was the padding. Phenomenal padding. When I asked what he paid for them I expected to hear something other than what I heard. He paid $79 for them. I bought a pair that night when I got home on Amazon. Got them in 4 days. This glove is very impressive. I will say that Topboxer and Infinitude are head and shoulders better than any other Pakistani made glove I’ve ever seen. I have spent a large part of my life punching things. I’m not very talented but I love boxing and the lifestyle I have lived most of my life. Gloves became important when I began competing back in the 1970s and became critical when I turned 40. I have trained in bad gloves and good gloves. How many things can you do in a boxing gym when your hands or wrists are injured? Like my first amateur trainer told me “if you were a trained sniper would you risk your life on cheap optics?” Good gloves are worth exactly what a pleased buyer will pay for them. My best gloves are not the ones I paid several hundred dollars for. If I were going to sleep in my gloves I would wear the Winnings I own. I have used my Winning gloves less than 10 times. I intend to punch in my gloves and often punch as hard as I can. They are the ones I like and my experience has taught me to trust when I do so. Winnings are great sparring gloves, good double end and mitts gloves, and fair bag gloves. But my Mexican made Casanova’s are great sparring gloves, phenomenal mitts and double end gloves and the absolute best gloves on the heavy bag ever made......to me. That “pop” when you hit the heavy bag is very satisfying. My beautiful wife is asking me if I writing about gloves again so I’m off to watch chick dramas on lifetime or some sh*t. Hope this helps.

Great advise. I just answered a question about good gloves for padding. Same answer, Rival gloves. I have very wide hands and Rival gloves fit me as they say “like a glove”. Great padding.

Get some winning knuckle guards try those

I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet.... but please don't use the same glove for heavy bag training and sparring, not cool and after a while you're going to be hurting guys in sparring using either a worn down or packed glove (depending on the model).

Get a pair of 16 oz for sparring.

Get a pair of 12-14 OZ for the heavy bag.

You don't have to spend a fortune. Rival has an eco friendly sparring glove that will not break the bank and is solid (I can personally vouch for this pair)

https://rivalboxing.us/collections/gloves-sparring-gloves/products/rs60v

Back