Hayabusa Ikusa 16oz Sparring Gloves

ElvisFan9889

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Ok, so I bought the new series by Hayabusa, to compare to Tokushu...

I ended up returning the Tokushu gloves. The interior was not glued down all the way and it felt like there was a lot of extra material on the inside, which made it difficult to make a good fist. Also, while the thumb didn't jam, it was sticking out too much for my taste.

I just got through my first workout with the Ikusa gloves. Honesty, I much prefer them over the older, more expensive Tokushu series. They worked great on the bag, and while I could tell when I made impact, it felt super protective.

Foam: Both gloves used exactly the same foam, which is printed on the tag, it's a combination of foams that is identical to the Tokushu Series.

Leather: The Tokushu used some sort of Vylar, they say is more durable than other types of leather. But to me, it felt super-processed, almost plastic like leather.

On the new Ikusa, it feels like, "leather". You can see the grains in the leather and it's pretty thick.

The biggest thing for me is the interior. On the new Ikusa series, it is silky smooth, very similar to ringside's imf tech. I don't think it has a special name but it's very smooth and glued down completely and I can make a perfect a perfect fist

These gloves are pretty light, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend them for hard sparring. They feel more like a bag glove, and provide excellent hand protection. I could feel the impact, "zone", but felt really protected.

The double safety strap is nearly identical to the Toshuku.

From what I can tell, the Ikusa series is just as good, if not better than the older, more expensive series, and if you want to save a few bucks, these are probably pretty good for you.

Summary

+Excellent feeling leather
+Smooth interior
+Great Stitching
+Big Enough inside for long hand-wraps and tape
-/+ More compact kind of glove
-/+ Very similar foam to Toshuku series, (Nothing wrong with this, but nothing innovative either)

These gloves are ultimately really good and just as good, or better because they are less expensive than the Toshuku series. That extra $20.00 does seem to give you much, so I'm very happy with these gloves.

Pictures soon coming. Here's a generic photo

2wd1q3b.jpg

Great review man!
I thought the padding is going to be the same as with Tokushu. The gloves seems to be very protective and durable. And they don't look bad at all.

Nice review buddy!
I have 16oz tokushu gloves. I love them. they are very comfortable and compact. good protection but the stitching is not so great. After 1 month of use the stitches loosened a lot especially on the velcro areas. Hope the stitching on the new gloves are better.

Nice review buddy!
I have 16oz tokushu gloves. I love them. they are very comfortable and compact. good protection but the stitching is not so great. After 1 month of use the stitches loosened a lot especially on the velcro areas. Hope the stitching on the new gloves are better.

That is why people say Hayabusa is overpriced.

Thanks!
I've never had a problem with my Hayabusa stuff but I do think the prices are a bit steep though, and Im not in the market for new gloves anytime soon though.

Are these new IKUSA basically the same one as the "old style" 16 oz sparring gloves that were discontinued? I am looking for a new pair and I cant decide if I want these or the old style ones. Any input would help.

Are these new IKUSA basically the same one as the "old style" 16 oz sparring gloves that were discontinued? I am looking for a new pair and I cant decide if I want these or the old style ones. Any input would help.

I personally don't have any experience with IKUSA gloves but i believe they are very similar to old style Pro MMA 16oz sparring gloves except the leather. The leather on IKUSA gloves is Vylar (so called engineered leather) same as Tokushu gloves. If you can find old style gloves at cheap price then i'd say go for them. They are find for training purposes with light sparring. If you have cash then go for Tokushu gloves. I've had them for a few months they are great and no knuckle or wrist pain. And for Tokushu gloves get black ones. I regret choosing white gloves. The mesh on the palm of the gloves gets dirty really quick and the problem is you can't clean them as they are not leather. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the good reply, only problem is that the old style 16 oz are always going for around 70-80 bucks =(, hard to find them for cheap.

I would choose Ikusa. The padding seems to be way better. Buying the old model doesn't worth imho.

mm... in most cases you get what you pay for. I asked "Hayabusa" about the padding of Ikusa gloves. The guy replied that the padding and leather is same as tokushu gloves. I guess the design is pretty similar to old model. So only difference between Ikusa and old gloves is the Vylar vs leather. It comes to your own preference. IMO Ikusa gloves would be better as they are new and they may have newer and better technology for the gloves. What art do you practice? If you are a muay thai guy why don't you try thai gloves?

whats the wrist support like in the Tokushus and Ikusas? I had the 16oz Hayabusa Sparring Gloves before and thought the dual strap was gimmicky and they were flimsy at the wrist, and looked at my friends pair and they had the same problem. They fold over at the wrist, way too flexible. Needed much stiffer padding

Well, the wrist support on Tokushu gloves is good but not as great as lace ups but better than other velcro gloves. What holds the wrist tight is the elastic caff(bottom layer). As it is elastic caff the wrist may bend and flexible. However, the outer layer which covers over the elastic layer, it is quite stiff and keeps your wrist straight. I personally like the dual layer velcro structure. I know haters are gonna hate. I have boon 16oz gloves, the wrist support is great as the velcro is long and stiff. It feels somewhat like lace up gloves.

14 oz suitable for sparring? My weight is 88 kg. Just in version 14 oz gloves like the colors.

14 oz suitable for sparring? My weight is 88 kg. Just in version 14 oz gloves like the colors.

That's almost 200 lbs. At that weight you should definitely use at least 16 oz for safer sparring.

wow, you can't be serious buddy. 14oz sparring gloves for 88kg guy? i think 18oz is what you should be wearing. 16oz at least..
By the way, if you are talking about 14oz tokushu gloves, there is almost no difference between 14oz and 16oz except the color. I went to a retail shop and compared 16oz and 10oz tokushu gloves. well guess what.. there was a VERY LITTLE difference in terms of size. I suggest you buy 16oz gloves.

Well, the wrist support on Tokushu gloves is good but not as great as lace ups but better than other velcro gloves. What holds the wrist tight is the elastic caff(bottom layer). As it is elastic caff the wrist may bend and flexible. However, the outer layer which covers over the elastic layer, it is quite stiff and keeps your wrist straight. I personally like the dual layer velcro structure. I know haters are gonna hate. I have boon 16oz gloves, the wrist support is great as the velcro is long and stiff. It feels somewhat like lace up gloves.

dont know if Ive replied to this elsewhere but wanted to say you were totally right. The wrist support on the Tokushus is fantastic, it's made me a believer in the dual strap mechanism when it's done right

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Real Deal
Back