Headbutt tactics in Lethwei?

null

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
With so much downtime now and lack of live fight cards I am using the time to catch up on some recent combat sports cards I didn't have time to watch in the last several months. In particular I'm enjoying the last couple of World Lethwei Championship cards, number 10 & 11, on Fight Pass.

I was wondering, if anyone knows, what's the ideal tactics with headbutts? They happen so fast and not too frequently, so it's a little hard to discern the best practices just from watching. What part of the head is ideal to strike with to prevent hurting yourself too much with the strike? And likewise, what part of the opponent's head is best to strike at in order to hurt them the most? Like strike with top of the head, aim for the opponent's chin? Or something else?

Point of contacts is the forehead ideally, but in practise a lot of lethwei fighters end up crashing temples against each other in the clinch. The most basic headbutt is having double wrist control and doing a push-pull like in judo to destabilise the opponent, then pull them into the head butt as you half step forward.
So long as your chins tucked it doesn't really matter where you hit the opponent because the forehead will smash everything but another forehead.

Back