-Heavy Bag question my dudes- (I think I posted the original in the wrong section - apologies)

BatemanTX

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
G'Afternoon Gents,

My Fiance' is going to be buying me a badass Muay Thai bag here really soon for my Birthday, and for the life of me, I cannot remember if those big bastards, super-long that basically touch the ground are 100 pounds or 150 pounds at the old boxing gym I used to train at - anyone gimme' a hand on which one I should buy: 100 or 150 lbs.? Wanna' make sure I get the traditional/standard bag, and get the right one.

Thanks a ton guys, much appreciate.

-Cheers

Oh & P.S. Let me know what a good "make & model" is, etc. lol - I was thinking an 'Everlast,' 'Fairtex' or 'Ringside' brand would be okay, or no? Feel free to link any solid suggestions on which/what I should buy.

Thanks again for the heads up people.

Isn’t it more about the length of the bag traditional is 6ft unless you are taking about the crazy pole bags.

Make wise fairtex, outslayer, decha for a Thai bag I would suggest

Last edited:
Usualy a 6 foot thai bag will be between 100 and 150lb. It depends on the brand. Stay away from Everlast unless you get the super leather one at 600$ +.

You cannot go wrong with Fairtex or Ring to Cage.

Ringside and CSI (ringside sub brand) should also be fine.

G'Afternoon Gents,

My Fiance' is going to be buying me a badass Muay Thai bag here really soon for my Birthday, and for the life of me, I cannot remember if those big bastards, super-long that basically touch the ground are 100 pounds or 150 pounds at the old boxing gym I used to train at - anyone gimme' a hand on which one I should buy: 100 or 150 lbs.? Wanna' make sure I get the traditional/standard bag, and get the right one.

Thanks a ton guys, much appreciate.

-Cheers

Oh & P.S. Let me know what a good "make & model" is, etc. lol - I was thinking an 'Everlast,' 'Fairtex' or 'Ringside' brand would be okay, or no? Feel free to link any solid suggestions on which/what I should buy.

Thanks again for the heads up people.

Ringside if money is a consideration. Good value and durable. If money is not a concern take a look at Amber bags.

You can’t fill it with sand too hard. You need to google if you can buy scrap rag / cloth /
Textile to fill it with

I hate asking this question LMAO.. but if I buy one of them "unfilled," which is what it is looking like:

1. What do I fill it with (sand)?
2. And is it hard to do, etc.?

Here are a few I'm looking at, please chime in:

1. https://www.amazon.com/Muay-Punchin...ocphy=9027723&hvtargid=pla-306995205303&psc=1

2. https://www.fairtex.com/6ft-muaythai-banana-bag-unfilled-all.html

Thoughts?

Thanks all.

Most recommendations are to use shredded clothing in the bag after removing zippers, etc. You have to spend time cutting and it compresses to really hard down at the bottom. Not to mention you need to have a source of lots of unwanted clothing material in the first place.

I tried some stuff when filling my bag and maybe some of my learnings will help. I got a thick piece of foam cut to the diameter of the bag and put it at the bottom. That was actually a really good idea because it keeps it padded and I didn't end up with that solid brick feeling at the bottom. (This is not a full length bag and just generally for boxing so that may not be a problem for you).

I also packed sand into a cylinder shape. Basically put the sand into some layered garbage bags and taped them up. That added good weight and kept a consistent core all the way through.

That's where my good ideas ended. I did get large squares of latex and other foams to wrap around with the idea of making an almost boxing glove-type padding on the bag itself. Unfortunately it wouldn't slide into the heavy bag unless maybe if I cut it open and stitched it up again. So I ended up with an outer layer of latex foam, an inner layer of foam around the sand core, and had to cut up the rest of the foam and shove it into the gaps. Feels pretty good to me, but I need to compare with the ones in the gym once we can go back in.

Foam is actually pretty pricey, even ordering directly from the factory (which I did) so that may not be the best option, but something I might recommend if maybe there was an old foam mattress you could chop up. (Patience and sharp scissors needed). I do think foam is better than shredded clothing, but I can't say it was life changing.

Bottom line, unless you have materials at the ready, or were experimenting like I was, then it's worth springing for the filled bag IF it's not going to cost an arm and a leg to ship. (Even your own filling may not be free). Make sure based on where you are, because when I was shopping around some places were shipping unfilled bags for free, but as much as $200 more to ship the filled bag on top of the extra $200 for the filled bag itself.

This is so god damn frustrating - I can't find a 150 lbs. Muay Thai Heavy Bag that comes FILLED.

Fuck me runnin' LOL..

Back