HEAVYWEIGHT COACH (why the average coach shouldn't be training heavy weights)

-guerilla-

Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993
Banned
Reaction score
I can remember when I was playing football and wrestling in school and had to watch a 115 lber lap me and the other big athletes several times over

You see the coach demanded exactly 10 laps out of every single athlete on the team regardless of their physical size

this meant that the heavyweights would be out there destroying their legs long after the light weights were done running and on the mat warming up and going over techniques

We would stumble into the wrestling room with blown out quads exhausted and dripping with sweat while the little fellows we're going over thir Granby rolls and bouncing around like little rabbits

Some decades later I would end up taking over that very same wrestling team and I account my record-breaking success largely to the fact that I eliminated all running from the program

I considered running a ridiculous waste of time as wrestling has 10 times the cardiovascular demand

Why run for a warm up when you can just stretch out and start wrestling... you don't see runner's wrestling for cardio...why would a wrestler run for cardio....stupid

You see it's just ridiculous to expect a 290 lb athlete to run as far as a 115-pound athlete as it is just as ridiculous to expect the 115 to lift the same amount of weight as a 300lber

The phenomena of the generic training program that is applied across all physiques is something that is long past its due

One of the larger barriers to Martial Arts entry was the big American who looked down at the 125lb Asian kid doing 720 kicks and thinking to themselves this just ain't for me....

I would suggest that BJJ's success is largely to do with the fact that weight is not as big a deal in that style as it is in something like Kung Fu, Taekwondo or Judo

The most successful coaches understand that heavy weights have a different style a competition and should be trained very differently then your lighter athletes...

Only a heavyweight knows how to train a heavyweight...

Otherwise you're heavyweights are probably suffering unduly and their performance will be lacking

Who knows how many talented athletes quit the sport of wrestling because they're average coach expected them to run as far... bridge as High and be as flexible has the lighter weight classes while never expecting them match his strength....

no matter what sport you coach remember that heavyweights are very different than the lighter weight classes and should be treated as such

dont be like the moron who coached my highschool team, tailor your expectations using common sense and if you weigh 170lbs remember you have a LOT more in common with your 115 than you do with your 289

#coach FAIL

Last edited:
Only a Heavyweight knows how to train a Heavyweight?

maxresdefault.jpg
<YeahOKJen>

I can remember when I was playing football and wrestling in school and had to watch a 115 lber lap me and the other big athletes several times over

You see the coach demanded exactly 10 laps out of every single athlete on the team regardless of their physical size

this meant that the heavyweights would be out there destroying their legs long after the light weights were done running and on the mat warming up and going over techniques

We would stumble into the wrestling room with blown out quads exhausted and dripping with sweat while the little fellows we're going over thir Granby rolls and bouncing around like little rabbits

Some decades later I would end up taking over that very same wrestling team and I account my record-breaking success largely to the fact that I eliminated all running from the program

I considered running a ridiculous waste of time as wrestling has 10 times the cardiovascular demand

Why run for a warm up when you can just stretch out and start wrestling... you don't see runner's wrestling for cardio...why would a wrestler run for cardio....stupid

You see it's just ridiculous to expect a 290 lb athlete to run as far as a 115-pound athlete as it is just as ridiculous to expect the 115 to lift the same amount of weight as a 300lber

The phenomena of the generic training program that is applied across all physiques is something that is long past its due

One of the larger barriers to Martial Arts entry was the big American who looked down at the 125lb Asian kid doing 720 kicks and thinking to themselves this just ain't for me....

I would suggest that BJJ's success is largely to do with the fact that weight is not as big a deal in that style as it is in something like Kung Fu, Taekwondo or Judo

The most successful coaches understand that heavy weights have a different style a competition and should be trained very differently then your lighter athletes...

Only a heavyweight knows how to train a heavyweight...

Otherwise you're heavyweights are probably suffering unduly and their performance will be lacking

Who knows how many talented athletes quit the sport of wrestling because they're average coach expected them to run as far... bridge as High and be as flexible has the lighter weight classes while never expecting them match his strength....

no matter what sport you coach remember that heavyweights are very different than the lighter weight classes and should be treated as such

dont be like the moron who coached my highschool team, tailor your expectations using common sense and if you weigh 170lbs remember you have a LOT more in common with your 115 than you do with your 289

#coach FAIL

It simply does not follow from anything you say in your post that non-HWs should not train HWs.

If what you say shows anything, it's that coaches should take into consideration the specific physical characteristics of individuals when designing training regimes. And that, presumably, is trivial common sense nowadays.

So what you're really doing in your post is venting your displeasure about the existence of bad coaches, such as your high school wrestling coach.

It simply does not follow from anything you say in your post that non-HWs should not train HWs.

If what you say shows anything, it's that coaches should take into consideration the specific physical characteristics of individuals when designing training regimes. And that, presumably, is trivial common sense nowadays.

So what you're really doing in your post is venting your displeasure about the existence of bad coaches, such as your high school wrestling coach.

It's understandable for someone who doesn't like you to try to spin your statements into some kind of personal fault

venting of some kind

# amateur spin attempt

Heavyweights have a very different power to weight ratio and thus their techniques should be adjusted to reflect that reality

Lots of world champion producing gyms have recognized this logistic fact

You're arguing against basic science because you are pissed at me from another thread

# sore

Last edited:
Only a Heavyweight knows how to train a Heavyweight?

View attachment 685277
<YeahOKJen>

You should use cartoons to convey your feelings more often

this communication style suits you

Tyson is a pretty bad example being such a tiny heavyweight

Perhaps if he had had heavyweight coaches he would not have been beaten by Buster Douglas LOL

BUT SERIOUSLY....Tyson was trained by a team of guys who understood heavyweight boxing very well

It's not that only a heavyweight is capable of training other heavyweights...its just best that they understand the different Dynamics and heavy weight trainers are more likely to understand them because they experienced them

# gif warrior

You should have picked Emmanuel Stewart he fought as a bantamweight and was one of the most successful heavyweight coaches of all time bringing such accomplished athletes as Lennox Lewis and Klitschko up thru the ranks

# don't know boxing

Last edited:
its not that Light weight CANT train heavyweights... some of the most successful trainers have been WAY smaller than their athletes HOWEVER they UNDERSTOOD the dynamics involved.

Small men can train heavyweights...they just are less LIKELY to be good at it

YOU DONT HAVE TO BE A HEAVYWEIGHT YOURSELF TO TRAIN A HEAVYWEIGHT...but in a "perfect scenario" you should be

emanuel steward fought as a bantemweight yet trained many top heavyweights because he understood the limitations and dynamic variance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emanuel_Steward

I can remember my heavyweight wrestlers coming to me and thanking me for changing their training regimen as they used to be so injured and stiff they had a terrible time on the mat

Especially as it related to shooting in for takedowns a heavyweight with blown out quads is thinking to himself these people must be idiots as they scream "SHOOT SHOOT" from the sidelines not understanding that his legs feel like jelly

Manny obedient heavyweights tried to take that shot and got pushed over like glass of water because their legs were long gone having been spent in training running laps

The old Conan the Barbarian training montage thing is a fantasy as abusing yourself does not produce a powerful athlete it produces a broken-down injury-prone shell of a performance that could have been so much better

Last edited:
"Heavyweight boxing is often described as a completely different sport, with legendary heavyweights such as Wladimir Klitschko, Mike Tyson and George Foreman boasting knockout percentages of over 80%. With heavyweights being such a different breed…. how should the big guys train

IN THIS ARTICLE, WE WILL EXPLORE
Why taller, bigger athletes may have some limitations in the weight room

How to optimise sessions and work around these limitations

Considerations for conditioning of heavyweight boxers"

https://boxingscience.co.uk/training-heavyweight-boxers-1/

Last edited:
It's understandable for someone who doesn't like you to try to spin your statements into some kind of personal fault venting of some kind

# amateur spin attempt

Heavyweights have a very different power to weight ratio and that's their techniques should be adjusted to reflect that reality

Lots of world champion gyms have recognize this logistic fact

You're arguing against basic science because you are pissed at me from another thread

# sore

I'm not pissed at you and I don't recall interacting with you on another thread.

And I'm not arguing against basic science. What proposition of basic science have I contradicted? All I'm saying is that you have failed to show that non-HWs shouldn't train HWs.

What you have done is point out that coaches should take into consideration the specific physical characteristics of individuals when designing training regimes.

But that's trivial common sense.

I'm not pissed at you and I don't recall interacting with you on another thread.

And I'm not arguing against basic science. What proposition of basic science have I contradicted? All I'm saying is that you have failed to show that non-HWs shouldn't train HWs.

What you have done is point out that coaches should take into consideration the specific physical characteristics of individuals when designing training regimes.

But that's trivial common sense.

For the same reason that an ant can lift more pound-for-pound than an elephant a lightweight fighter is inherently different than a heavyweight fighter

Gravity and friction conspire to slow the Big Men Down however bestow a heavier strike dynamic

They are also more prone to injury

# science

( perhaps you don't remember me but I certainly remember you)

You should use cartoons to convey your feelings more often

this communication style suits you

Tyson is a pretty bad example being such a tiny heavyweight

Perhaps if he had had heavyweight coaches he would not have been beaten by Buster Douglas LOL

BUT SERIOUSLY....Tyson was trained by a team of guys who understood heavyweight boxing very well

It's not that only a heavyweight is capable of training other heavyweights...its just best that they understand the different Dynamics and heavy weight trainers are more likely to understand them because they experienced them

# gif warrior

You should have picked Emmanuel Stewart he fought as a bantamweight and was one of the most successful heavyweight coaches of all time bringing such accomplished athletes as Lennox Lewis and Klitschko up thru the ranks

# don't know boxing

You made a ridiculous blanket statement. This is your exact words from the OP,

Only a heavyweight knows how to train a heavyweight.

This is demonstrably not true. I responded with an emoji because, quite frankly, your OP is so flawed it didn't merit serious discussion.

For the same reason that an ant can lift more pound-for-pound than an elephant a lightweight fighter is inherently different than a heavyweight fighter

Gravity and friction conspire to slow the Big Men Down however bestow a heavier strike dynamic

They are also more prone to injury

# science

( perhaps you don't remember me but I certainly remember you)

I have not said anything to contradict your observations on ants, elephants, inherent differences, gravity, and friction.

All I have said is that you have not shown why non-HWs should not coach HWs.

If you have shown anything, it's that coaches should take into consideration the specific physical characteristics of individuals when designing training regimes.

And that's trivial.

Usually managers evalue coaches from their student's results.
Governments loves degrees too.

You made a ridiculous blanket statement. This is your exact words from the OP,

Only a heavyweight knows how to train a heavyweight.

This is demonstrably not true. I responded with an emoji because, quite frankly, your OP is so flawed it didn't merit serious discussion.

LOL that's just bait for the chumps

And i stick to my statement

ONLY HEAVYWEIGHTS SHOULD COACH HEAVYWEIGHTS

this dosent mean smaller coaches CANT coach heavyweights it means they (the fighter) would likely be BETTER OFF if their coaches were heavyweights THEMSELVES because the division is so different

In a perfect senario the coach will be experienced in the EXACT SENARIO they are COACHING their athletes for!!

I even linked emanuel stewart
(a bantem weight who was one of the most sucessful heavyweight coaches of all time) to ancor the statememt

Got it?

this dosent mean smaller coaches CANT coach heavyweights it means they (the fighter) would likely be BETTER OFF if their coaches were heavyweights THEMSELVES because the division is so different

In a perfect senario the coach will be experienced in the EXACT SENARIO they are COACHING their athletes for!!

(a bantem weight who was one of the most sucessful heavyweight coaches of all time) to ancor the statememt

Got it?

Sick backpedal.

<mma4>

I have not said anything to contradict your observations on ants, elephants, inherent differences, gravity, and friction.

All I have said is that you have not shown why non-HWs should not coach HWs.

If you have shown anything, it's that coaches should take into consideration the specific physical characteristics of individuals when designing training regimes.

And that's trivial.

No you certainly have not said anything to refute the scientific facts

Its not "trivial" its serious sports science that can effect millions of dollars in the combat sports industry

ants, elephants, inherent differences, gravity, and friction are representative of the science im talking about...its actually quite basic

Your claiming i havent "proved" my theory

...thats trivial!

Sick backpedal.

<mma4>

Even a bj cartoon wont make it a "backpedal"

"Just because shedogers are too dumb to comprehend the title"

Only heavyweights should coach heavyweights to produce the best results over the scientific average of thousands of fights

just because you win a war with a sword it doesn't make it the best weapon

Just because you won a race with a horse doesn't make it the fastest animal

Just because small trainers have produced great heavyweights dosent mean its the best strategy

Got it yet?

You're a weird one. Keep going, this is getting good.

You're a weird one. Keep going, this is getting good.

Its truly entertaining that nobody ever wants to talk about sports on these forums

Like chasing mice

Got it?

Which is it? Just bait for chumps or something you actually believe? I know you seem to have problems with basic logic, but these two statements cannot both be true.

Its truly entertaining that nobody ever wants to talk about sports on these forums

Like chasing mice

We do like to talk about strength and conditioning on this forum. We just prefer to do so with people who know what they are talking about;)

Back