Help with research

I took a look at him. He comes later in the 50s? There is another fellow by the name of Peter Urban. He apparently has real Japanese lineage from doing an apprenticeship in the 50s but he is kind of a weirdo or something. He is also one of those marine guys who trained with Japanese people but for 5 years. He ended up with a 5th degree black belt. I don't really know much about Karate but I probably figured that it was so new that it was easy to get black belts.
The belt system was less than 100 years old in judo by than, so even newer in karate as a whole.
Might have been easier to get a blackbelt from time training perspective while people tried to get things really hammered out.

or maybe times to get BB has simply become a gimmick to keep people in the dojo and training.

Actually IMHO sometimes some TMAs now does have rules that you are allowed to compete in competion in x or y level.

I don't think that belt is so valuable cos ....old era guys didn't had colored belts...

The same TKD.
Some guys might get BB after 5-6 -7 years.
It isn't cos they are dumb. Just different approach....what stuff is guy with some rank.

Yes modern karate is only roughly 100yrs old.
TKD has roots older than karate, but I believe most of the way it’s been trained the last…30-40 years makes basically shotokan with fewer punches.
The founders of the original kwans all trained karate or kung fu and nothing else. any other "roots" claimed are basically invented out of thin air. its "taught to them in secret by mystic monks on mountaintop temples" credibility level stuff. pure nationalistic "we cannot admit we learned it from the hated chinese and japanese" BS. there may have been native unarmed fighting systems in korea, but they did not survive to be anything but mere inspiration to TKD
As for karate, as we know it today it is about a hundred year old, but it grew out of older systems from okinawa with very strong influences from china.

Karate wasbutchered by american servicemen in Japan. anyone REALLY think a okinawan master was going to teach an american the deep secrets of his beloved art a mere few years after the battle of okinawa in 1945? really? in the servicemans spare time during a year or so?
civilian casualties after the battle and bombing might have been as high as 150K out of a pre war population of 300K (killing almost every skilled karateka still on the island, I might add). Rape was rampant during the occupation (not to mention the horror stories from the battle) and seldom punished by the army (and therefore not by anyone). american soldiers was NOT highly regarded.
A karate teacher might take the occupiers money to survive, but he was not going to seriously teach him anything advanced.

And then those americans goes back to the us, founds schools and organizations and claims to be masters themselves.

Back