Hip pain and kicking

GolovKing

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Does hip pain just come with the territory, or is it a sign of something else being wrong? Is it possible to be a long time practitioner into old age and not get bad hip?

I dont think its supposed to be a chronic issue. I find the fighters who tend to get hip replacements later in life and stuff werent very mobile to begin with and already had tight hips.

Knee pain is a little more common among fighters imo

It's generally a sign of localized damage.

Make sure with your coach that you aren't doing the damage yourself with bad form.

But make sure with your MD that you haven't torn stuff in there or developed arthritis.

X rays will show bone but not soft tissue damage, MRI will generally be done to look for connective tissue damage.

Rest it for a week see what happens.

I've been resting due to hip pain from a deep stretch after a three hour KB/Judo session.

I'd been pushing myself six days a week and should have known to lighten up.

Take it seriously if it persists. You'll damage the cartilage and once that starts to go there's no remedy other than eventual surgery.

Does hip pain just come with the territory, or is it a sign of something else being wrong? Is it possible to be a long time practitioner into old age and not get bad hip?
If you do anything in excess that pushes your body to extreme angles you'll eventually wear out the joints. Not just in fighting but anything.

Look at Prince, who thought doing the splits every night for 40 years would end up being detrimental to your hips.

As a life long sufferer of hip conditions, warm up thoroughly.

Spend five extra minutes on your hips, rotate them both clockwise and anti clockwise - do light glute bridges, pigeon stretch and frog stretch. Reaaally make sure to take the time with them, your joints are the first thing to go when it comes to injuries.

Can you get into old age without hip problems? Probably not, but a 70 year old karate masters hips are probably in better shape than a 30 year old couch potatos even if they do experience more pain as a result of living a more active life style

Back