History of Kickboxing

Yodsanan

K'FESTA.1
@red
Reaction score
Started following this japanese dude on Instagram, who's a Kickboxing historian with some huge collection. really interesting read.

Last edited:
Takasan's stuff is super interesting. Wish he posted full fights

Not related to the post... but are you planning on doing any interviews for your page any soon? Of just videos of fighters hanging out in the gym, training, bantering etc? I think it would be pretty cool

Not related to the post... but are you planning on doing any interviews for your page any soon?

I write with some fighters semi-regularly and that topic came up as well. I'd love to, but it's always hard justifying putting more time into it as just a hobby, than I already do right now.

Of just videos of fighters hanging out in the gym, training, bantering etc? I think it would be pretty cool

If someone would pay me to do so, I'd probably do that. Right now I'm in the middle of nowhere in germany, with no interesting pro fighters close so not really a possibility.

Last edited:
This is great. It's all stuff regulars on this forum knew but not to his level of detail and he gives a good narrative to the story. Muay Thai birthed Kickboxing in Japan.

Thanks for sharing this, it's very interesting. For people like me who don't have instagram, we'd be very appreciative if you kept sharing those posts on here :)

Thanks for sharing this, it's very interesting. For people like me who don't have instagram, we'd be very appreciative if you kept sharing those posts on here :)
It's 2019, get it together and make an Instagram account. A lot of good MT/KB stuff on there.

It's 2019, get it together and make an Instagram account. A lot of good MT/KB stuff on there.

Doesn't matter what year it is, I could have signed up to IG 7 years ago. If I signed up to a social media network every time somebody recommended one, I'd be on at least 10 different ones by now.

Anyway, I can see that guy's posts even without an account so that works :)

Doesn't matter what year it is, I could have signed up to IG 7 years ago. If I signed up to a social media network every time somebody recommended one, I'd be on at least 10 different ones by now.

Anyway, I can see that guy's posts even without an account so that works :)
Ya but IG has outlasted those other 9 ;)

i am in awe of how meticulous his collection is...souvenirs, scrapbooks of newspaper articles, videos, etc.
hopefully this stuff will all get passed down to someone with the same level of detail and passion.

i am in awe of how meticulous his collection is...souvenirs, scrapbooks of newspaper articles, videos, etc.
hopefully this stuff will all get passed down to someone with the same level of detail and passion.
He really needs to digitize all this stuff and back it up. All it would take is a fire in his place and POOF all gone.

This makes me want to start collecting more KB/MT stuff...

He really needs to digitize all this stuff and back it up. All it would take is a fire in his place and POOF all gone.

You're definitely right, but that process takes ages. Imagine scanning page by page every single book and magazine you have and then putting those pages together digitally and saving them as PDF's o_O This would be like a full time job for days and days considering his collection.

I wonder if there's somewhere you can get someone to do such a job, like at a local internet caf' or library.

You're definitely right, but that process takes ages. Imagine scanning page by page every single book and magazine you have and then putting those pages together digitally and saving them as PDF's o_O This would be like a full time job for days and days considering his collection.

I wonder if there's somewhere you can get someone to do such a job, like at a local internet caf' or library.

I don't know about places outside of the US, but here in the states you can use Craigslist for damn near anything. Lots of my friends used to do random side jobs from there to get some money for bud; anything from cleaning an old person's gutters and trimming hedges to being paid to scare kids around their lawn on Halloween. Wish I was in his area, I'd do that for free haha

I have just published a book about the history of kickboxing in Japan. It has taken more than ten years of research but I have finally been able to finish the job.
It is written in Spanish.

https://as.com/masdeporte/2020/12/22/polideportivo/1608669661_041955.html
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/David-Leonardo-Bárcena/dp/1549802879/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_US=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=kickboxing&qid=1609270452&s=books&sr=1-1

Just bought the reyes magos gift for myself:

upload_2020-12-29_19-15-18.png

What happened? Deleted account?
I believe he closed his own account on IG, it's been over a year. He had been posting regularly on Twitter though, I noticed he's been quiet lately I just tried to look up his account and its gone now. Sucks because he was probably the most knowledgeable guy on Kickboxing out there. I'm glad I saved a lot of the images he posted on my computer. He has a crazy collection of memorabilia he could open a museum with.

@Yodsanan you know where Takasan ran off to?

Back