Hit things, lift things, drink beer.

14/06/2022:

Strength:

Warmed up with shoulder prehab and mobility work.

Snatch:
30kg x 3
40kg x 3
45kg x 3
50kg x 3
55kg x 2
60kg x 2 x 3

Chin-up:
BW x 8
+8kg x 5 x 3
BW x 7

Step-ups:
16kg/hand x 5 + ballistic step-up, unweighted x 5, x 3 sets per leg

Weighted push-ups:
+15kg x 10 x 3

Early morning session wasn't too bad today. I did regret wearing a thermal to the gym though.

20/06/2022:

Strength:

Squats:
60kg x 6
80kg x 5
100kg x 4
110kg x 3 x 2
120kg x 2 x 3
80kg x 15

Bench:
40kg x 6
50kg x 6
60kg x 5
65kg x 5 x 2
70kg x 4 x 3

Chest-supported incline DB row:
14kg x 12 x 3

Contralateral single-leg RDL:
24kg x 8/leg x 3

20/06/2022:

Muay Thai:

Sparring night tonight. Warmed up with a few rounds of alternating 20 seconds each of normal sparring and clinching. From there, shark tank sparring, 3-minute rounds, groups of 4 people. One person in the middle for a whole round, alternating between others in the group every 20 seconds. After everyone had had a round in the middle, moved onto shark tank clinch rounds, same format but 4-minute rounds. Had a lot of fun tonight with the more advanced guys who are closer to my size, but reminded them a little bit that just because I got fat and lazy doesn't mean I don't know how to move. The trainer who was teaching the class left early, so left it to me to give everyone conditioning to finish. Partnered up, one pair of pads between two people. Partner A 50 right kicks, partner B 50 right kicks, partner A 50 left kicks, partner B 50 left kicks, partner A right double kick 10 times then left double kick 10 times, then partner B right double kick 10 times, left 10 times. Finished off 3 sets each alternating 20 push-ups and 30 reps of an ab exercise, up to them what they did. Last little bit for those who wanted extra ab conditioning was circle of death- bodyshots around in a circle, until last man standing.

21/06/2022:

Conditioning: LISS

6.1km run. Fasted, AM. Total time 37:03, average split 6:05/km. No HR data. This was a bit of a slog. Being very inactive the past couple of months was a poor choice of action.

22/06/2022

Strength and conditioning:

Warmed up with some mobility drills.

Standing broad jump:
4 reps x 4 sets

Single-arm med ball throw:
5kg x 5/arm x 3

Single-leg lateral hop:
4 reps/leg x 4 sets

Plyometric push-up:
5 reps x 4 sets

Explosive pull-up (max height):
BW x 3 x 4

Conditioning:

4 rounds:
30 seconds burpees
30 seconds star jumps
30 seconds mountain climbers
30 seconds shadow boxing
No break between rounds

Short, sharp start to the morning. Took a bit to settle into it, but felt like a good session overall.

Dry July, what it do baybee

04/07/2022:

Trap bar deadlift:
60kg x 5
100kg x 5
130kg x 5
160kg x 5
180kg x 4
200kg x 3 x 2

Alternating DB iso chest press:
22kg x 10/side x 3

Alternating barbell lunges:
60kg x 6/leg x 3

Pull-ups:
BW x 8, 7, 7 reps

Treadmill run:
20-minute run, 10km/h, 1 degree incline. After, walk at 3km/h until HR recovered below 130bpm. Total time 21:37.

06/07/2022:

Standing broad jump:
4 reps x 4

Single-leg lateral hop:
4 reps/leg x 4

Plyometric push-up:
5 reps x 4

Pull-up (for height):
BW x 3 x 4

8 rounds:
10 KB swings at 24kg
10 push-ups
Time: 7:37

PM: Boxing fundamentals:

Warmed up with a few sets of drills, alternating one-for-one, slipping shots to the head with a shot to the chest, and a few other defense and counter drills. Drills on the pads tonight were mainly around coming in with a 1, 1-2, then moving off line and countering. Not feeling my footing very well on some of it- it was coming together by the end of training though.

Last edited:
08/07/2022:

Squat:
60kg x 5
80kg x 5
100kg x 4 x 2
115kg x 3 x 2
125kg x 2 x 2

Close-grip bench:
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 6 x 2, 10 x 1

Good morning:
Bar x 8
60kg x 6 x 4

Wide-grip seated cable row:
47 x 12
57 x 10 x 3

Half-hanging alternate knees to elbows:
10/side x 3 sets

LISS:
20-minute treadmill jog at 10km/h. Set speed to 3km/h at end, walk until HR recovered to under 130bpm. Total time 21:37.

09/07/2022:

Muay Thai: Sparring

Warmed up with a few minutes of skipping, then some basic muscular endurance work. Technique work today was kicking and checking/defending. From there, a few rounds of freestyle sparring, then into a running shark tank round. Right at the end of sparring, clashed heads with a guy as we were entering into the clinch and opened an eyebrow a little. Put an end to sparring for me for the day. Finished with a set of 200 knees once I had cleaned my face up and put a bandaid on.

10/07/2022:

Strength:

Sumo deadlift:
60kg x 5
100kg x 5
120kg x 5
140kg x 4
160kg x 3 x 2
170kg x 2 x 3

Bench press:
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 6
70kg x 4
75kg x 4 x 2
80kg x 3 x 2

Chin-ups:
BW x 6
+12kg x 4 x 2
+16kg x 4 x 2
BW x 11

Best that bench has felt for ages today. Chin-ups also not too bad, which was a pleasant surprise.

11/07/2022:

Muay Thai:

Joined in the general class tonight. Worked with Kun, who is a great padholder. Started off with a few rounds of bag drills, 1-minute plank between each round. From there, into pad rounds. First drill was 1-2-3-rip-kick-3-kick, and then 10 sets of right kick-cross-right knee as a blowout. Second round was 1-overhand-rip-kick-3-kick, and then 10 sets of left kick-cross-left knee as a finisher. Last round was pivoting away from a kick and throwing a same-side counter hook then a kick. Finished with a set of 2 right kick, 2 left kick continuous for 10 sets (40 kicks total). During each pad round, as Kun and I were more experienced Richie let us just do freestyle pad rounds and just integrate the combos/drills into the rounds. To finish class, 6 sets of 1 minute alternating between wall sits and crunches. Legs not happy by the end. Good session though.

13/07/2022:

Strength:

Squat:
60kg x 5
80kg x 5
100kg x 4 x 2
110kg x 3 x 2
120kg x 2 x 4

Military press:
Bar x 8
30kg x 8
40kg x 6
50kg x 5 x 2
55kg x 34x 2
60kg x 3

DB RDL:
30kg/hand x 10
14kg/hand x 8 x 3

Pull-ups:
BW x 8, 7, 7, 8 reps

Boxing:

General class. Wound up partnering with a relative beginner, so had a much slower pace than usual as I was showing him how to adjust his technique as well as hold the pads better. Still, got a good sweat going, and he was very appreciative of all the input which I had for him.

Last edited:
14/07/2022:

Conditioning:

LISS run, fasted, AM. First outdoor run in a while again, and easily the slowest and heaviest I have felt doing it. 6.1km, 39:09 total, average pace of 6:30/km. No HR data. Absolutely yucky how much I could feel myself struggling with this. 81.0kg first thing this morning. Post-run, finished with 40 judo push-ups and 40 straight-leg sit-ups with a toe reach.

Muay Thai:

All levels/general class tonight. Warmed up with some basic calisthenics and endurance, then went into clinch drills, working on different set-ups from double inside arm control. From there, a few pad drills, also incorporating transferring in and out of the clinch. Finished with some high-rep kick drills for conditioning. After class, took the fighters upstairs for some pad rounds in the ring. Gave them all some basic but important things to work on.

Last edited:
16/07/2022:

Conditioning:

LISS, fasted. 6.1km run again, same route as last time. Felt marginally better, but still aware of how heavy and slow it felt to move. Total time 37:26, average split pace 6:13/km. 81kg again still.

Muay Thai:

A few hours after the run, sparring class. Warmed up with skipping and then shadow boxing, followed by a number of kick and kick defence drills. From there, moved into sparring which was paused when Tee stopped everything to yell at us about making sure we all have groin guards in. A few rounds of freestyle sparring, a round of clinch, and then finished with a set of 50 kicks right leg, 50 kicks left leg, 50 sit-ups, and 50 push-ups.

19/07/2022:

Depth jump + broad jump:
4 reps x 4 sets

Explosive landmine press:
10kg x 5/arm
15kg x 5/arm x 3

Power snatch + hang snatch + overhead squat:
30kg x 2
40kg x 1
50kg x 1
55kg x 1
60kg x 1 x 3

DB Bulgarian split squat:
32kg x 8/leg x 3

Chin-up:
BW x 6
+12kg x 5
+20kg x 3 x 3
+12kg x 4

21-15-9 reps of:
24kg kettlebell swing
Inverted rows
Push-ups

Muay Thai:

Advanced class tonight. Warmed up and then started with practicing a few different set-ups for a spin back elbow. From there, a very lengthy combination on the pads involving a couple of different spin elbows integrated into it. Jab, check left kick, cross, left kick, padholder leans back, when you miss with the left kick land a spinning right elbow instead, spin back, right elbow, right knee, padholder does right kick, catch, cross, elbow thigh, drop leg and spin left elbow, spin back, cross, right kick 2 times. From there, a couple more slightly more sensible combinations from a 1-2-slip, and then a round of pads from in the clinch position. Finished the session with 5 sets of 10 right kicks, 5 sets of 10 left kicks, a 40-second set of alternating right and left kicks, 100 knees on the bag, 50 sit-ups, and 50 push-ups. Feeling frustrated with our class structures at the moment as we have guys coming up to fight. We need less fancy stuff and lengthy combinations and more just basic reactionary drills, basic techniques and set-ups, and normal-ass pad rounds. Fighters need basic shit to push them through- these classes aren't going to teach people to fight. I'll be teaching sparring class tomorrow though, so at least I know I'll be making them do the things I want from them.

20/07/2022:

Muay Thai:

Spent time running Jackie through some elbow drills and correcting some basic mechanics on his movements tonight. No timer on the pad rounds, just run the drills, keeping a steady rhythm going. 3 and a half weeks out for this boy, fighting full Thai rules with padded elbows again. After, had Jackie hold pads for me for a few rounds. My focus was on a 3-2 up high, then a 3-2 to the body, changing levels with the cross coming off the same hook. After, taught my first technical sparring class in a few months. Shadow box, a few drills with a partner, then 10 x 2-minute rounds with 30 seconds rest, changing partners every 2 rounds. Finished with a drill for 50 kicks each leg, then a minute and a half of sit-ups with a slam ball drop to the stomach.

21/07/2022:

Muay Thai:

Warmed up, then got into some focus mitt drills. A few rounds, first round 1, 1-2, 6-3-2, second round 1-5-3-2, third round 1-2-1-2, 1-1-2. After that, some power drills for knees and elbows, then switch over. Pad round combinations tonight were a little less lengthy and complex than last time, which was good, we were able to put a little more focus on the intensity, and focused on entering and exiting elbow range. Finished class with a set of conditioning, 10 knees on the bag, 5 right kicks for power, 5 left kicks for power, back and forth for a minute as fast as possible, then a minute of alternating 2 sit-ups and 2 push-ups. After, held pads for the fight team, rotating them through 4 stations. Freestyle pads with me, focus mit and low kick drills with Izzy, bag work, then a station cycling through rounds of 10 push-ups, 10 sit-ups, 10 squats. All rounds 3 minutes, 45 seconds rest in between.

22/07/2022:

Strength:

Power clean + front squat + hang full clean + jerk:
50kg x 2 x 2
60kg x 1
70kg x 1
80kg x 1 x 3

Squat:
60kg x 5
80kg x 5
100kg x 4
110kg x 4 x 2
120kg x 3 x 2
130kg x 2 x 2

Superset:
Incline DB bench: 25kg x 8
Bent-over double DB row: 25kg x 8
Repeat for 4 sets

Conditioning:

LISS, post-strength work. 6.03km, total time 35:19, average pace 5:52/km. No HR data. Much better run than the other recent ones - nice to almost feel a bit of fitness coming back again. Might have been that it wasn't fasted first thing in the morning, might have been that it was a bright and sunny day. Bodyweight first thing this AM was 79.4kg.

23/03/2022:

Muay Thai:

Ran Jackie and Jimmy through a good session today. Warmed up 5 minutes of skipping and 3 minutes of shadow, then into pad and bag work for 8 x 3-minute rounds. One person on pads for 2 rounds and the other on bags, then swap back and forth twice each. This meant the guys got to keep the cues from padwork fresh in their mind and apply it to the bag themselves. After, clinching. Set a timer for 20 x 1-minute rounds, no break between. Rotated through one in, one out across the 20 minutes, so pretty much everyone got 7 x 2-minute clinch rounds. Introduced some techniques and tips as we went, main focus was getting them to slow down and not rush when clinching. Finished with some neck conditioning work, doing bridges front and back, rocking back and forth across their heads. Good session for the boys this morning.

Back