Hit things, lift things, drink beer.

How old are the Double Jragons (sounded cooler than spelling it) ? Some up and coming pros to look for

30/07/2022:

Muay Thai:

Joined the Saturday morning fighters' session. 5 minutes skipping, 3 minutes shadow to warm up. 6 people training, so had 3 of us pad up, other 3 hitting. 3 minute rounds, 45 seconds rest, 2 rounds with one pad holder before rotating to the next. After 6 rounds, switch over, repeat. Good way to get all the fighters working together. Clinched next, starting with some technique work, and then one 10-minute round, rotating to a new partner every minute. After, finished with a kick drill, one single kick, one double kick, repeat 10 times (30 kicks total) right leg, then left leg, and then just a wee bit of neck bridging.

This week has mostly been a write-off in terms of training due to a bit of stress around deciding whether to move or not, but we've got that settled, and will be shifting flats this coming week. Last big week of training for Jackie as well, so things are probably going to be pretty flat-out.

01/08/2022:

Muay Thai:

Sparring night tonight. Straight into 4-minute rounds, going 1 minute freestyle, 1 minute clinch, 1 minute freestyle , 1 minute clinch again. 30 - 45 seconds break between rounds. Partnered with Jackie in the ring first, then worked with a couple of other guys before going back to Jackie for another 3 rounds together in the ring, during which time I did not treat him very kindly. After, we switched to just normal 3-minute rounds of sparring. Gave Jackie another couple of rounds before he was sent out of the ring to recover a little and I got some work in with our other fighters. Jimmy was looking on point tonight- very busy, aggressive, good work rate - I can't wait to see how he goes in the ring. Liz and Rose both looking good too. We finished the session with 150 teeps, 150 knees, and 150 kicks.

02/08/2022:

Muay Thai:

Just in as a padholder for one of our fighters tonight. Spent time working on some set-ups for low kicks from an elbow, crossing the distance effectively, capitalising off the teep and using it to establish some feints, body shot angles and placement, and positional control in the clinch. Fairly productive session overall, keeping a strong focus on technique rather than burning him out after a hard sparring session today. This way he'll be nice and fresh for his sparring session tomorrow- shark tank planned for him in the clinch.

25/08/2022:

Long time no morning session.

Paused squat:
Bar x 10
60kg x 6
80kg x 4
100kg x 3 x 5

Military press:
Bar x 8
30kg x 8
40kg x 6
45kg x 6 x 4

Gironda rows:
21 x 12
23 x 10 x 3

Just the first morning session at the gym by my new place. It's honestly not bad, if a bit small, but I think I can get it working well enough for me. It's been such a shitshow of chaos over the past month and a half, but it feels good to start feeling a bit more settled now. Will be working on getting more of my own work in, and decreasing some of the workload that I'm putting in for the other fighters.

27/08/2022:

Muay Thai:

Went in for usual Saturday morning freestyle pads session. Got in early to do my own work, as I've often just been holding pads lately. Warm up was 6 rounds of 3 minutes of skipping and 2 minutes of shadow boxing, no breaks- gentle 30 minute semi-specific LISS session. While the others warmed up, got through 5 x 3-minute bag rounds, 45 seconds rest between each. It took a long time for my legs to warm up into letting me kick well, they were so tight with DOMS still. Being detrained sucks. It turned out I didn't actually need to hold pads today, so spent rounds holding for a new guy to the fight squad first, and then having him hold for me. 5 x 3-minute rounds each again. Fighters with matches coming up started and finished each round with 10 right kicks and 10 left kicks. Finished the session with some clinch for just one 8-minute round, followed by conditioning for the fighters - 50 kicks right, 50 kicks left, 50 kicks right, 50 kicks left, then 300 knees.

29/08/2022

Conditioning:

LISS, fasted, AM. 5.58km. 36:12 total, average split 6:29/km. First run from the new whare. Didn't feel bad, my body is just crusty and fat and moves slow right now.

Decided to do a solidarity cut week with my 2 female fighters this week. Weighed myself first thing before the run today. 81kg. Big oof. Still, hopefully we'll see a fun change in numbers across the week, and maybe a bit of an actual drop once I've had a refeed and everything on Saturday afternoon.

I realised this is potentially a bad idea, as I've also booked in a beer tasting on that Saturday afternoon, having some rare bottle pours of some interesting things from 3 Fonteinen which I doubt we'll ever actually see in little ol' NZ again. So, cutting weight with my fighters, then they go weigh in, and I get crunk on extra-probiotic wild ferment Belgian yeast juice. Deligthful. I'm gonna be slapped sideways from like 3 tasters of 5% beer. Oh well. Yolo.

13/09/2022:

Strength:

Hang power clean + push jerk:
40kg x 5
50kg x 5
60kg x 5 x 3

Paused squat:
60kg x 5
80kg x 4
100kg x 3 x 4

Neutral-grip chin-ups:
BW x 8, 7, 6, 5 reps

Single-arm DB bench press:
24kg x 8/arm x 3

Single-leg DB RDL:
20kg x 6/leg x 3

Superset:
High plank pull-through, 20kg x 12 reps
V-ups, 10 reps
3 supersets

14/09/2022:

Muay Thai

Sparring class tonight. Warmed up, and then got into some drills. First was around parrying and countering the teep, next was catching and countering. From there, a couple of drills to bring the opponent's guard up and then pulling one side down to elbow or punch the opponent. After that, sparring, freestyle rounds. Gave one of our fighters booked in for his next match a couple of rounds in the ring. On the outside where he can play his game he gets the better of me, which is good. Getting fitter again will lead to being quicker and having better reactions and I'll start being able to challenge these young guns properly again. After regular sparring, a few rounds of clinching, then finished with 100 knees, 50 sit-ups, and 50 push-ups.

15/09/2022:

Muay Thai:

Just a short bit of work tonight, as I wound up getting an emergency callout with work. 3 minute rounds, 30 second break between. Alternated between skipping for one round and bag work the next for 6 total rounds. Just some simple stuff which I'd intended to use as just a warm-up.

25/09/2022:

Conditioning:

LISS. 5.76km run, total time 35:10, average split 6:06/km. Average HR 163bpm, max HR 180bpm. Very honestly, not as bad as I thought it would be after a night on the barleywines as well as after being sick and run down for a week. Definitely coughed up a bit more mucus than I would have liked, but I think it was good to help clear the lungs out. Finished the run by splitting a bottle of Epic Steam 1000 Celebration Ale, an English barleywine done 7 years ago. Mm, caramel booze syrup. It's still holding up well, but my thumb tendons don't permit me to open wax-sealed bottles due to PTSD.

28/09/2022:

Muay Thai:

Sparring tonight. Gloves and shin pads on, and straight into it. Each round initially was 2 minutes of sparring, 1 minute clinching, then break and change partners for next round. After a few rounds, started working on some techniques as well, some for trapping the front foot and sweeping the opponent as they come forward, some for feinting off the right kick, and then some for countering a left knee off the feint with the right kick. My fitness is still completely gone, and still on the tail end of this cold/flu I've had which has been pretty determined to not let me just breathe. Still, good session overall.

Just a wee update from the weekend. Fights came and went, and we went 1W 1L. Rose had an amazing performance for her first fight with no shin pads and 8oz gloves on and managed to grind out a split decision win, mainly due to a more dominant performance in the clinch. Jackie was unfortunately TKO'd in round 2, being dropped by a right uppercut first, and then dropped another couple of times after. Not his night, but he was by far the smallest competitor in the 4-man, and his mental game was so much better this fight than previous. He had a good, calm and measured first round, which was the first time I've seen him able to maintain his calm and stay relaxed in the ring. It may have been a loss, but he was much better in the ring than during his last fight. All in all, proud of them both, and will look forward to seeing them take some time off to rest and recover and then rebuild for the next one.

04/10/2022:

Muay Thai:

Went in to do a good bit of skipping and some bag work before main class, but wound up having a good catch-up with our gym's owner and chatting to her about a few things, including the direction of my own training. I've been thinking a while about splitting my training between here and another gym with a larger stable of fighters, where I won't always be stuck in the role of helping bring others up. It was pretty well-received; from next week I'll look to split my training across two gyms. Didn't leave much time, so had a few rounds of bagwork before sparring technique class, 1 hour of drills with shin pads and gloves on. Lots of focus on different kick defence, counters, and then some drills from a defensive position with lead leg up and a long guard, which is my favourite kinda jam for frustrating an opponent as well as setting up for different elbows and knees. Finished with a little bit of planking. Good session, pushed the pace a bit on the drills and got a good sweat going.

13/10/2022:

Strength:

Deadlift:
60kg x 5
100kg x 5
120kg x 5
140kg x 3 x 2
160kg x 2 x 3

Front squat:
60kg x 6
80kg x 4 x 3

Dip bar supported leg raises:
BW x 10 x 3

Treadmill run, 15 minutes @ 10kph to finish.

First session back (again) since being sick for a week (again).

22/10/2022:

Strength:

Warm-up:
Serratus anterior wall slide, pec minor wall stretch, wall slides, banded lat stretch, band dislocates, bottoms-up KB press, walking lunge w/ sprinter's pose, single-leg RDL, hip airplanes.

Squat:
60kg x 6
80kg x 5
100kg x 4
110kg x 3
120kg x 3
Down 20%, 4 sets x 2 reps paused back squat (97.5kg x 2 x 4)

Bench:
40kg x 6
50kg x 6
60kg x 5
70kg x 3
72.5kg x 3
Down 15%, 15 reps total
57.5kg x 10, 5 reps

24/10/2022:

Strength:

Warm-up:
Serratus anterior wall slides, banded pec stretch, wall slides, banded lat stretch, banded dislocates, banded behind-the-neck Y press, KB bottoms-up press, push-ups on bands

Bench:
40kg x 8
50kg x 8
60kg x 6
70kg x 3
72.5kg x 2 x 2
Down 20%, 20 reps total
57.5kg x 8, 7, 5 reps

Bent-over row (supine grip):
50kg x 10
60kg x 10 x 3

Half-kneeling single-arm landmine press:
15kg x 6/side x 4

Pull-ups:
BW x 7, 6, 5, 6 reps

Conditioning:

LISS run. Decided to just head out and cruise for a bit. Run wound up being 6.19km, total time 38:47, average pace 6:15/km. No HR data. Again, back to baby steps with the conditioning. We'll get it though.

Notes:

Been having a worse and worse time with insomnia lately. Very often averaging around 3 hours per night. Going to sleep initially isn't the problem- the problem is waking up between 1am and 2am and struggling to get back to sleep again. Will have a look into potential options around supplements, and see about scheduling a doctor's appointment soon as well. It's basically impossible to get out of bed at 5am to do my strength and conditioning on so little sleep, and will definitely impact my recovery, as well as the effort I can put into other training sessions too.

26/10/2022:

Strength:

Warm-up:
KB swings, walking lunge w/sprinter's pose, single-leg RDL, hip airplanes

Deadlift:
60kg x 5
100kg x 5
130kg x 4
150kg x 4 x 3

Front squat:
60kg x 8 x 4

26/10/2022:

Conditioning:

LISS. Cardio after work in the evening. 5.57km run, total time 34:02, average pace 6:06/km. Still on the struggle bus with getting my lungs and legs back to being able to do it, running feels so much harder than I remember. Lifted the pace on the last 600m home for a 5:00/km split. Found it crazy that used to be my easy pace for low-intensity work. Only thing to do is more training. We'll see how we go.

Back